How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

User customizable left navigation

The far left navigation panel seems to have a whole lot of blank space just calling out to be filled with things, and there is plenty of functionality within Teams that could be put there so users could reach it faster. That big gap between Files and Feedback is wasted space!

You should let individual users decide what goes in this space by giving them the ability to pin additional things they want there. I use the 'Saved' functionality a lot for example. It would be nice to have it out there only one click away. Perhaps I think a certain person, bot, or channel is important enough to deserve placement out there. Or how about a certain Tab somewhere.

Give the user the choice and allow them to make Teams their own!

476 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

David Rosenthal shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

43 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Justin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please see this feature. There's a lot of wasted space on the left requiring more clicking than needed.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any update? We use teams primarily for the Planner app - this seems clunky that we can't add something to all of this empty space on the sidebar.

Much more useful for onboarding people. how we doing on this now ? seems like it should be pretty simple

• Stefan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you want to use the new shifts, you will click twice. But twice is one too much. So please dont forget this feature.

• Adam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is something that I would find helpful. Please add this feature

• Rob D commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there any update on this? The amount of wasted real estate in the Teams app is really unfortunate.

• J Ward commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Cool, first thing I noticed was that I was using the non-displayed icons more than the defaults so this would be appreciated.

I agree. Would like to have a Planner button their since Teams has no native task management (but should)

Is there any updates to this functionality? It is frustrating having to click "..." to access Applications.

Not being able to pin to the massive amount of white-space leaves a lot of wasted screen real-estate.

• Jowl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Teams on Android at least allows reordering. How come not on Windows itself!

Moreover the App pins should show metainfo of contents, e.g. Planner should show new tasks or open tasks as indicator on app symbol

• Gregg Machel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I echo what most have said here in the comments. We can do this with O365 Apps using the App Launcher (pin to launcher). Put this same feature on Teams desktop app.

• Ivan Palikuca commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Left navigation bar is waste of space if it cannot be customized. As an example, I don't use on a daily basis "Activity" and "Assignments" but I do use Planner, OneNote, Flow... I would like pin those rather than clicking on "..." to access them. In addition to that only 6 apps in that navigation menu is a bit of a waste of space, yes I agree some screens have different resolutions, thus you cannot always count on number of apps being able to fit, but allow use to either customize those 6 or allow us to pin more.

• Daniel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm happy to hear that this feature is being considered. We should also be able to remove the assignments icon if we don't need that for the education version.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base