How can we make Teams better?

Complete Skype for Business Integration into Teams

Honestly, this is a tall order due to the fact that Teams was not launched this way in the first place, but my real world experience, and feedback from the field, is that having Skype-for-Business-like functions in Teams (chat/Presence/etc) be separate from Skype for Business itself is not only confusing for many users, but inhibits adoption. Users want to consolidate the number of apps they use, not increase it. I personally find this to be true.

Teams is an incredible tool with so much potential, but living and breathing in Skype for Business, like so many of us do, Teams isn't a completely organic feel due to the disparity of chat identities. If I could go into Teams, manage my projects/files/OneNote, engage in Chats, see and join my meetings, engage in Audio/Video calls (I can do all this now), AND THEN also place and receive all my PSTN calls, Teams would be my new permanent application for doing all this, and email would start to fade into the background.

This is the direction I truly hope to see things go. Teams' potential is incredible, but realizing its full potential, in my humble opinion, relies on complete Skype for Business integration.

1,798 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Josh BlalockJosh Blalock shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

69 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • tobytoby commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Conversation history needs to be available in Outlook desktop as well when interacting with Skype for business - compliance issue for financial.

• DanDan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There does not seem to be a way to view lists of users - the only option is to search. It would be nice to have the ability to see a list of who:

- has already started using Teams
        - is available within the organization

This would be particularly useful when chatting, and also when adding members to a team. It is frustrating to have to type and search or to rely upon Exchange distribution groups to find people. For chat in particular, it would be great to have a list of all team members to see their online status rather than needing to search for them first.

• Adam ChopkoAdam Chopko commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, I'd like to see a list of everyone in the company. Ideally, the admin could group people by functional area (e.g., Operations, marketing, finance, etc.) or option to list alphabetically so then it's easy to find people in the company. Right now, you need to know their name, as there is no Directory view.

• Yoav RheimsYoav Rheims commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Erik, yes but at least make a better sync between the two: currently you can call, the history is not saved in Teams, etc. It's very annoying...

• Erik UmenhoferErik Umenhofer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are many times when people will want Skype and not Teams and vice versa. Nothing wrong with options.

• v-maete@microsoft.comv-maete@microsoft.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's currently annoying to have two notifications appear when I get a ping from someone. I'll have my Teams and Skype notification appear letting me know I have a message. Wouldn't it be better to merge the two in order to push people to the new platform? Humans are creatures of habit and don't like change, so they'll choose the path of least resistance if they have two options. And that means using Skype for business. I've already seen the pushback with people on my team when I've tried to show them Teams. Their eyes gloss over and they continue to use Skype. I don't see their being big buy on unless the important functionality of Skype for business is merged into the Teams platform and Skype for business is phased out. Kind of like what happened with Lync. We were all pushed to update and use Skype for business. Keep regular Skype for consumers if it's worthwhile, but get rid of Skype for business.

• Stanislav ZhelyazkovStanislav Zhelyazkov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Allow chat, voice and video between person who has connected to Microsoft Teams and a person who has connected to Skype For Business. These two services should merge at some point. You should be able to join Skype for Business meetings from Microsoft teams app without launching Skype for Business app. You should be able to chat with people outside of your organization from Microsoft Teams app and etc.

• Vijay SriVijay Sri commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So I joined Microsoft . When a friend of mine pinged me from Skype, it showed up in the Teams app. That was very cool. After sometime he joined the Microsoft Teams and pinged me from within the Teams client. Now, there is a separate chat window. Not cool at all. The person I was chatting with is same, they just changed the channel of communication. Teams should kept the chat in one single window!

• Drew LandDrew Land commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Don't always want a team chat but want to see peoples status and have quick access to them even if they're not in my "Recent" conversations list. Want basically the favorites section with the ability to group people and collapse and expand the groups.

1 2 4 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base