How can we make Teams better?

Complete Skype for Business Integration into Teams

Honestly, this is a tall order due to the fact that Teams was not launched this way in the first place, but my real world experience, and feedback from the field, is that having Skype-for-Business-like functions in Teams (chat/Presence/etc) be separate from Skype for Business itself is not only confusing for many users, but inhibits adoption. Users want to consolidate the number of apps they use, not increase it. I personally find this to be true.

Teams is an incredible tool with so much potential, but living and breathing in Skype for Business, like so many of us do, Teams isn't a completely organic feel due to the disparity of chat identities. If I could go into Teams, manage my projects/files/OneNote, engage in Chats, see and join my meetings, engage in Audio/Video calls (I can do all this now), AND THEN also place and receive all my PSTN calls, Teams would be my new permanent application for doing all this, and email would start to fade into the background.

This is the direction I truly hope to see things go. Teams' potential is incredible, but realizing its full potential, in my humble opinion, relies on complete Skype for Business integration.

1,798 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Josh BlalockJosh Blalock shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

69 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jamie ThomsonJamie Thomson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seems like an obvious thing to do. At my place we use Cisco's telephony and UC solution (Jabber+Webex) but as we're already paying for O365 I suspect we'll consolidate at some point by getting rid of Cisco. Josh's most pertinent point is "Users want to consolidate the number of apps they use, not increase it", I couldn't agree more.
        I used Teams for the very first time today and my impression of it is that its more than just a Slack compete - its nothing short of a client for the whole of O365, so the telephony part needs to be in there too.

• Seb HerrmannSeb Herrmann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Completely agree with this point. Our current trial of Teams reveals just how frustrating this is. We have pilot users on SfB and Teams who report this as the only reason they don't want to jump onto teams permanently. The multiple status, assume they can see chat history from teams in Skype / Outlook. Many prefer the chat UI in Skype (small, compact) can chat to many people and not have a full window open, but when in teams, want to carry on those conversations. You can already join Skype meetings from within Teams - this is good. Wanting to roll this globally, but - this issue is a road block. Will kill adoption and send people back to other services again.

• Reginald TreiderReginald Treider commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I could not agree more. As users are being asked to adopt and or have to decide which application to use for collaboration, it only generates frustration and confusion. Incorporating all SfB functionalities into MS Teams will only make things more simple for users to live and work within one application.

• Arden ShackelfordArden Shackelford commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Josh said this very well. The point on inhibiting adoption is key. When you have companies working with 1 tool for 5+ years, getting them to move away from it is very difficult. You'll have those excited to move to a better tool and then you'll have others who ask "But I can chat and make calls with Skype for Business, so why move?".

I know it was mentioned in a similar post that the intent is to keep SFB and Teams separate entities but... as someone who supports my immediate department group, the end users need 1 thing, not multiple.

• Andy SaleenAndy Saleen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would finally give a single interface to do work in. This is in everyone's best interest and will maximize the usefulness of the Teams product.

• ANdReANdRe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A status list would be great for each channel to see, who is online at the moment. Could be a small frame on the right side to slide in and out.

• Allan RodolfoAllan Rodolfo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be useful. I too like the idea of having the contact list of everyone in our company instead of just typing to search. Or some type of address book.

• Pete BostromPete Bostrom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Teams client could potentially be a replacement for the SfB client if this was in place. No need for users then to have the confusion of which application to use.

• Johan VendrigJohan Vendrig commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One of our main reasons to go to Skype for Business is to unify our communications; we use multiple IM/chat apps at the moment. It is great that MS teams pulls some of the broader O365 and S4B functions together into one UI. However unless the S4B and MSTeam Chat/IM function becomes one and the same (or at a minimum fully synchronised) this will become very confusion for users with some user working in the Teams space (eg Dev) and others living more in the S4B space (eg Sales)

• ChrisChris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

100% percent behind this. It would be extremely helpful to be able to view all the users from your organization just like you can view them in Skype for Business. I know there is already a separate thread for the ability to have the same user availability mechanism as Skype for Business, but I believe this needs to be implemented with it.

Without knowing the context of who is available (or their status) on the team/in your organization then this messaging is no better than sending an email and moving on to something else while you wait for a response.

• Kevin RuschmanKevin Ruschman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having the ability to put different contacts in groups is very beneficial. Surprised that there isn't a real contact list anyways. Even Skype consumer has that.

• Rick WeinbergRick Weinberg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

1) Allow Skype conversations to be recorded when happening in Teams
        2) Integrate Teams into Skype rather than the other way around. Teams is far less robust with nearly no IM option while Skype has a robust set of options from which we can look up contact info (like org, phone number, etc), share screens, start a meeting, add attendees, etc. Teams has NONE of these options and is a far less preferable chat tool. I really don't know the benefit of using another interface to chat. It literally just needs the ability to START a chat with people from a Team in Skype. Then you get the best of both worlds. Now it's just super confusing, causes my system to work harder, and adds little to no value.

• BenBen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Add a contact list to see who is available, away, and offline like Skype for Business has. For example, add a tab above Chat named "Contacts" that shows a listing of contacts with the ability to sort by status (online, away, offline, unknown).
        Also fix the issue where closing the app shows a user as away, although they are still using their computer with Microsoft Teams running in the background.

• TomTom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be great because I wouldn't need to have both open and the MS Teams GUI is just better.

Feedback and Knowledge Base