How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Complete Skype for Business Integration into Teams

Honestly, this is a tall order due to the fact that Teams was not launched this way in the first place, but my real world experience, and feedback from the field, is that having Skype-for-Business-like functions in Teams (chat/Presence/etc) be separate from Skype for Business itself is not only confusing for many users, but inhibits adoption. Users want to consolidate the number of apps they use, not increase it. I personally find this to be true.

Teams is an incredible tool with so much potential, but living and breathing in Skype for Business, like so many of us do, Teams isn't a completely organic feel due to the disparity of chat identities. If I could go into Teams, manage my projects/files/OneNote, engage in Chats, see and join my meetings, engage in Audio/Video calls (I can do all this now), AND THEN also place and receive all my PSTN calls, Teams would be my new permanent application for doing all this, and email would start to fade into the background.

This is the direction I truly hope to see things go. Teams' potential is incredible, but realizing its full potential, in my humble opinion, relies on complete Skype for Business integration.

2,517 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Josh BlalockJosh Blalock shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

98 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Connor SlackConnor Slack commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I prefer having them separate. I find the Teams UI and functionality to be much better & easier to use than the interface for skype & our users feel similarly. We've actively avoided using skype for team chat thus far because it's so messy.

How I break this down is:
        If you want a more video-conferencing centric chat application, use skype
        If you want an O365 integrated and managed alternative to Slack or Hipchat, use Teams.

Please do not merge the two.

• Shawn KeeneShawn Keene commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If someone else in my company tries to send me an IM using Skype for Business, it shows me as offline. But I am online in TEAMS. Why can't they reach me using Skype business? I have the "Chat with Skype Business" option turned on in TEAMS.

• Joseph ThornleyJoseph Thornley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When should I turn first to Skype for Business? When should I use Teams? The overlap between the functionality is confusing and causes my team members to use both less than they would if they were better integrated.

• ThierryThierry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same for Outlook and Outlook groups, one app for collaboration, why having different apps, it's a confusion not a différenciation, at the end the user will decide whether to use the extra feature or not.

• RayRay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Basically if someone is speaking to me from Skype for Business and tries to invite me to a group chat in Skype for Business that should work without issue. I shouldn't have to close MS Teams and reopen Skype for Business just for this use case.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Skype for Business is the worst application Microsoft has even made... As soon as Skype calls works in iOS Teams then i'd just delete SFB..

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would prefer to only ever use Teams while I develop. If you could migrate Skype meetings over, I would never need it again. Teams is vastly superior for developing with teams across the country.

• TBTB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would love to see these two platforms completely merge and get rid of any separation through some sort of rebranding.

• EricEric commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also use this nearly every day, the ability to share a screen without having to setup a meeting is ideal.

• Brian HarrisBrian Harris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want skype for business in Teams, but I want persistent voice more than any other feature. Discord is marketed as a gaming social platform but the persistent voice chats there allow the casual collaborative environment that could make Microsoft Teams THE killer app.

• Rick VilorioRick Vilorio commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would like to have the ability within my domain to integrate Teams messaging with Skype without needing to add users individually to Teams.

• SethSeth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've moved our entire org over to Teams and disable Skype across the board.
        There is no reason I can find for our environment (or any other environment) to need both if Teams can provide some of the core features provided by S4B.

-Screensharing needs to not require a video/phone call
        -Presence integration into outlook is a MUST
        -Presence system based on device usage NOT app usage is a must

If we can get those things in place - 95% of my user complaints will be solved and our environment will no longer have a use for S4B

• Stefan TsalapatisStefan Tsalapatis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Such integration is not the appropriate for contact centers, service, agents. What we need is a headless unified (S4B, Teams) Client SDK.
        Replacement of S4B client in favor of MS Teams, is not a viable solution in corporate environments for various reasons.

• BorisBoris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We, when installing Teams, simply disable Skype for business and all

• DavidDavid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Top comments from internal testers at work.

Why do I need to install another app, I already have Skype for business installed? Or Why do I need Skype anymore?

• Just a personJust a person commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with making Teams able to be a direct replacement to S4B. Those who don't need the Teams functions can use S4B and others like me can use Teams. I hate having to juggle the two

• JamesJames commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Skype, Skype for Business and Teams?

Couldn't this be a single app for business?

Skype for Business is useless without access to all Skype addresses, so I have to use two apps and now a third Team app to duplicate functions in Skype for Business.

This is what I hate. No one wants to use any of this unless its integrated. So every still uses plain old Skype and doesn't have time for the rest.

• DanDan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Share presence and chat between Teams and Skype for Business on-prem.

Feedback and Knowledge Base