How can we make Teams better?

Complete Skype for Business Integration into Teams

Honestly, this is a tall order due to the fact that Teams was not launched this way in the first place, but my real world experience, and feedback from the field, is that having Skype-for-Business-like functions in Teams (chat/Presence/etc) be separate from Skype for Business itself is not only confusing for many users, but inhibits adoption. Users want to consolidate the number of apps they use, not increase it. I personally find this to be true.

Teams is an incredible tool with so much potential, but living and breathing in Skype for Business, like so many of us do, Teams isn't a completely organic feel due to the disparity of chat identities. If I could go into Teams, manage my projects/files/OneNote, engage in Chats, see and join my meetings, engage in Audio/Video calls (I can do all this now), AND THEN also place and receive all my PSTN calls, Teams would be my new permanent application for doing all this, and email would start to fade into the background.

This is the direction I truly hope to see things go. Teams' potential is incredible, but realizing its full potential, in my humble opinion, relies on complete Skype for Business integration.

1,798 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Josh BlalockJosh Blalock shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

69 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Ryan PizziRyan Pizzi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wholeheartedly agree with this. While I'd love for the persistent chats to be accessible via skype, our main heartache is that IM's in teams stay in Teams. It should communicate over your Skype rather than having yet another messaging app. With that said, Teams is almost amazing and I think will be when integrated with Skype.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Date time of messages are wrong (01/01/1970 01:00) when talking to a contact which use Skype.

Add skype contact groups in Skype would be great in order have list contacts by groups, order them ...

The only reason I have SFB open is to make and receive PSTN calls, If you integrate that I am good to go with using Teams for everything.

• Joseph FountainJoseph Fountain commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

they should just unify the two threads, they could still mark them inside to show some were skype and some were teams, but really the users don't care and shouldn't need to be bothered with that info

• Joseph FountainJoseph Fountain commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, we don't need more apps at work, we need less and more streamlined apps, teams seems so close to right, but for now skype just has more functionality, particularly screen sharing without voice/video, screen control and conversation history in outlook (makes it searchable). Skype is also smaller so if you are chatting it doesn't take up your whole screen where teams seems to be an app you work in exclusively

Could we add all the Skype function into Team, so I don't need to open 2 applications at same time? I do like Team more.
        Skype has it's advantage like easy to find people to chat, and desktop sharing, etc. I hope you can combine them into one app.

With time spent and the launch here our users are getting the Skype-like features. I'm pleasantly surprised to find technology averse dept and location managers using voice, video and screen sharing with Teams.

• TimTim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm concerned that this will be confusing regardless of the implementation. Notification sync'ing between the two has potential, but conversation history? S4B has no concept of a channel, so what channel in Teams is the S4B history going to sync with? A private Teams chat with all members of the S4B chat? And visa-versa?

Too many apps with overlap now...maybe S4B should be retired. :-)

• Arden ShackelfordArden Shackelford commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with most of the comments here. User Adoption is slowed because of multiple apps for different things! I love Teams and want to use it heavily. Please look very closely at this and do what you can to integrate the two. Don't make "just another cool thing".

• Thomas SThomas S commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sync of conversation history and notifications between S4B and Teams are essential! But let Users decide which tool they will use.... not all people need that big Teams UI/Functions.

I'm going to second Andy Mercer.

Agreed, but not above "Chat". It should replace "Chat". Look at how Facebook Messenger web app does it. There is just one list of people. Default sort is by Recent. Then throw in the ability to sort other ways, and the ability to toggle on and off the people you've never chatted with

• Andy MercerAndy Mercer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed, but not above "Chat". It should replace "Chat". Look at how Facebook Messenger web app does it. There is just one list of people. Default sort is by Recent. Then throw in the ability to sort other ways, and the ability to toggle on and off the people you've never chatted with.

• Joey BowlesJoey Bowles commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any new development in Teams Meetings / communication, needs a Skype Biz counterpart. This will be very confusing for users if they can only do certain items in certain locations. This is one of the huge reasons Yammer hasn't taken off at my company. The yammer presence is different than SfB. The Yammer chat is separate form the SfB chat. I know Yammer was an acquisition, but Teams is built form the ground up.

• GertGert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes Please. The faster you do the faster we can start making it happen in large scale internally. It is a hazzle to let user understand the differens between the two types of skype, or even 3 if the count also goes together with the Skype consumer.
        So yes please.

This is a great idea. I'd like to be able to add a distribution list to the chat section so I can dynamically add new users and remove old ones from active directory.

• Micah RairdonMicah Rairdon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've been explaining Teams as "Finally Microsoft's myriad of tools in one user friendly user interface." Making the Skype integration full would be one of the last pieces of the puzzle on this.

I agree with Jamie O365 is beginning to get very complicated with multiple methods for doing the same function. Training is tough

• Jamie ThomsonJamie Thomson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want to respectfully disagree with Eric who said: "There are many times when people will want Skype and not Teams and vice versa. Nothing wrong with options."

My opinon is ... there *is* something wrong with having options. In fact this is the achilles heel of O365 today, there are too many ways of doing the same thing. Erik says "There are many times when people will want Skype and not Teams and vice versa", but doesn't offer any such example.

Consolidation is what users want in my experience.

Feedback and Knowledge Base