How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

option arrow on OSX native keyboard shortcut overridden by teams

Please REMOVE the key binding for option+left/right arrow keys on OSX. The native shortcut moves the cursor word by word (same as ctrl+arrow on windows).... I promise no one wants to navigate to the next tab over with this key binding - please revert this change and don't override any native OSX keybindings.

And please implement the "up arrow" to edit last message. This is a time killer not having this feature.

88 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Austin Turner shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

13 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Ilari Scheinin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely. On the Finnish keyboard the @ sign is option-2, and I kept wondering how on earth are others able to tag other whereas I cannot. Then I found out that I can if I use the right option key instead of the left one, which is hijacked. This is completely unexpected and to be honest horrendous behaviour from an app.

• Christian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The whole usage of the “Option” key is making the native OSX client nearly unusable. For example with a German Keyboard Square Braces [] are Option-5 and Option-6 respectively. Typing Option-5 switches to the “Files” tab though so I can only input '[' by using copy&paste … not cool.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Most applications use cmd-option-left and cmd-option-right to change tabs. Don't fear the command key Microsoft.

• J. Davis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is making me crazy, too— I use it in almost everything I type, and not having it is making me sorta hate Teams (even though my first impression was good!). One of the comments said it was fixed at some point, so did the fix get overwritten in a newer build?

• Paul Mestemaker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've had Microsoft Teams for an hour... and this is driving me insane. I have 1.0.00.7401 and Option + arrow navigates me around different tabs instead of around words.

• Alastair Campbell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd be happy if the native text-navigation commands were left alone when writing. That is primarily alt-left & right, but also with shift to select, and cmd-left / right for beginning & end of line.

You could use them for different things when not using a text-input, but it might be better to be consistent anyway. For left & right nav, I'd suggest either cmd-shift-{ or alt-cmd-left arrow.

• Matthew Hillman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

On macOS, tab switching is generally done with command+} and command+{. Like the OP said, Option+left/right is supposed to navigate the text, not switch tabs.

One solution would be to just let you change the keyboard shortcuts to something else.

• Nic Z commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Unfortunately, I'm still experiencing this. Impressed with Teams so far but my muscle memory is causing significant disruption at the moment.

• Austin Turner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

YAY! Looks like this may have been fixed as I have my native keyboard shortcut back.

You have Microsoft Teams Version 1.0.00.6701. It was last updated on 3/13/17.

• Adam Scheinberg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As the senior technology decision maker for my company, this is literally the one thing that keeps me from deploying. It's painful that I can't use my muscle memory with this app.

• Jon Evans commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use a custom ~/Library/KeyBindings/DefaultKeyBinding.dict. In there I've defined many things, including Ctrl-m, Ctrl-b which inserts the unicode back arrow symbol (←). It seems to hijack the Ctrl-b and instead uses it to enable Bold text.

Other shortcuts I've defined do seem to work, e.g. Ctrl-m, Ctrl-o correctly inserts the "Option" symbol (⌥) so it's only selectively hijacking shortcuts.

Feedback and Knowledge Base