How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Proofing tools (spell check, theasaurus, autocorrect)

One of the defining features of office down the years has been the proofing tools (i.e. Spell checker, theasaurus, autocorrect, grammar checker). I would love to see these come to Teams.

The way I envisage this working is as I'm typing a message the famous red/blue/green squigglies that we've all become familiar with should show up.

Most of all I'd like autocorrect (i.e. a spelling correction that I've used previously automatically gets applied as I type). Stretch goal for this, have a single set of autocorrects that work across all of Office 365, including the client apps.

Some people might think that such tools would not be applicable to a lightweight tool such as this (I would disagree, but everyone is different) so perhaps there should be the ability to toggle proofing tools on and off.

It should work across all Teams clients (i.e. desktop/mobile/web).

I must admit I'm not a user of Teams yet (although soon will be - our org is turning it on soon) so for all I know some of these things already exist - I somehow suspect that they don't all exist yet though. Most of all though I'd like the autocorrect feature and the red squigglies.

638 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jamie Thomson shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
working on it  ·  Suphatra responded  · 

Hi everyone, the engineer working on this item has left the company and we’re working on replacing him. I wanted to give you that heads up because the work has paused, which extends our shipping date.

I really appreciate your patience as we work to get this back to actively worked on.

Suphatra

66 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Jordan Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any update on the progress of this? / The ability to add custom words to avoid it being flagged in the future.

• TheGovernor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would love to know the status of the replacing engineer - this feature is needed in Teams badly!

• Mike Cepalo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Most annoying thing is that if you use Google Chrome and Web app spellcheck will work like charm. Even with Dev Edge, that I use now I can use Grammarly. However Team desktop App despite claiming in HELP that it has spellcheck as you type, don't have one.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm using the Teams Windows Desktop client, and while it has an auto-spellcheck, there is no way to add words to it. My phone can add words to its spellcheck dictionary, why can't Teams offer the same ability?

Every company uses words every day that won't be in a "standard" dictionary. The first example I think of would be names of people, products or, featrues. I should be able to tell Teams that a word is valid so that I'm not picking and choosing which red underlined words are valid and which aren't

• Jordi Franch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seems somehow disrespectful to say they are "Working on it" for months.
    This is not a free software that is provided 'as is'.

• Robert Piesz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How is this not standard? Please implement this, spell check works in the chat on the desktop app, but in the planner when I make buckets or tasks, there is ZERO spell checking.

please add the option to "add to dictionary". I'm tired of seeing the red squiggles.

• Alex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Microsoft - is this back underway? It looks like this is labled as "working on it", but the commentary isn't congruent with that...

Should be possible to differentiate between interface language and proofing language for content/conversations. Currently, spell check is limited to interface language as overall language setting.

• Charles Kelsoe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I thought Teams was part of the Office solution. As such why is it not using the same proofing tools as Word, Excel, etc.? The fragmentation of development with Office, Teams, OneNote, the new **** OneNote AWP, etc. is really disheartening.

• Mike G commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I hope Microsoft has found a replacement by now for the engineer who was working on this. The current dictionary doesn't even recognize OneNote! And there's no way to add it...

• Dawn Hodges commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just came to this to see what sort of dictionary is being used for Teams. It's telling me that remediate is not a word or misspelled.

• Emilio commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think it's a very important feature to have spell check multilanguage in the desktop app.

• Mtmcn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for the candid update. It has been 4 months since the engineer left. Is there any sight of a replacement or progress on this development?

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base