How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Proofing tools (spell check, theasaurus, autocorrect)

One of the defining features of office down the years has been the proofing tools (i.e. Spell checker, theasaurus, autocorrect, grammar checker). I would love to see these come to Teams.

The way I envisage this working is as I'm typing a message the famous red/blue/green squigglies that we've all become familiar with should show up.

Most of all I'd like autocorrect (i.e. a spelling correction that I've used previously automatically gets applied as I type). Stretch goal for this, have a single set of autocorrects that work across all of Office 365, including the client apps.

Some people might think that such tools would not be applicable to a lightweight tool such as this (I would disagree, but everyone is different) so perhaps there should be the ability to toggle proofing tools on and off.

It should work across all Teams clients (i.e. desktop/mobile/web).

I must admit I'm not a user of Teams yet (although soon will be - our org is turning it on soon) so for all I know some of these things already exist - I somehow suspect that they don't all exist yet though. Most of all though I'd like the autocorrect feature and the red squigglies.

414 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jamie Thomson shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

44 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Soooo... It seems work on this feature started in July, then the developer left (meaning only 1 persone was working on this?!).

Any updates yet?

• Edwin Jones commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Most importantly, please let the user disable all spell checking and autocorrecting etc. completely!

• Doug Powell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adding my two cents. Simply tie into the existing Office language, correction and location tools. I really dislike having so many custom dictionaries since I use the auto correct extensively for engineering, mathematical symbols and the like. Thanks!

• brottochstraff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It should just detect what language you are typing in automatically. And switch spell correction to that. I believe this is now a global setting in windows 10, that is not respected by teams desktop app.

Not just proofing tools, but also locale settings like date format. It's very confusing and ambiguous seeing mm/dd/yyyy all the time outside the USA (especially when dd <= 12) .

IMHO these basic items have gone way downhill since the 90s when they "just worked" in all Microsoft products. [Ex Office intl8n and proofing tools PM speaking here!]

• Kristian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be great if multiple languages could be supported. I am currently running Teams with DE language setting and the chats with my English speaking colleagues are marked completely red.

I see that mis-spellings are highlighted now, but there doesn't appear to be any means to get a spelling suggestion. Now I am left in the horrible position of knowing I mis-spelled something, but after trying a few time to correct...I am left hopeless of the correct solution. I must now resort to an internet search to get a correct spelling. I would almost saying I was happier when I was unaware of a mis-spelling...ignorance was bliss...compared to this time drag now when trying to spell more complex words.

Guys, why is it that you don't reuse the spellchecker and Thesaurus in Office for this?
        It's as if Office and Teams are different companies.
        I would expect you guys to find your own synergies before people from outside see them.

Autocorrect doesn’t automatically correct words in Teams but it does in other apps under the same conditions.

• Dominik Janiec commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also current language could be done like in the S4B (Lync), via Windows keyboards manager: switching languages with `Win + Space`.

When you make a mistake, use a non-dictionary trade word, or a foreign word, it gets the red underline, but there is no way to tell the system this is NOT a type. We need to right click and choose the 'Add to Dictionary' option from the menu, just like we do in outlook and in a browser.

• A commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

spell check should be more than a red line under a word

• Leanne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use the desktop app and have two issues with the spell check:

1. Language - English (New Zealand)

I have my language set to English (New Zealand) however this seems to be following the US English spelling which is incorrect. We follow the UK spelling.

2. Spell check corrections disappear

When you open Teams, initially when you right click on an incorrectly spelt word the correction options show. However after some time, the correction options stop appearing when you right click. To fix this you have to restart Teams.

• Matt Harper commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It seems like the spell check in Teams uses a different DB/Dictionary than office.

Some words that are spelled correctly show up as wrong in Teams but in Office they are fine. You also get different suggestions in teams than you do in Office

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base