How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Open in Word/Excel/PowerPoint as Default

It would be great if Teams would have the ability to always launch the desktop app when opening Office documents as opposed to launching the online version.

Rest of teams is awesome.

596 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jannie van der Walt shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

69 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Peter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is critical. Why would I have a teams client and powerful desktop word, excel, ppt applications to then use a limited experience within teams to edit them?

This should be at least a setting, if not default. Please fix!

• Andrea Marchetti commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a must needed setting which I cannot believe hasn't been resolved after more than 2 years. With the amount of Libraries we have this will be very difficult to go change each one, but then also doesn't give the flexibility for the users to chose their own preferences.

• Philippe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same request for me and my users specially for Excel document with filters and special display.
        I spent hours to find a workaround, I eventually did !
        As I am owner of Teams' Group, I openend SharePoint Library "Advanced Settings" and set "Always open in client".
        Now it is set for all documents, too bad ... But better than the default.
        Expecting one day something like "?desktop=1" ending URL, working like "Open in Excel desktop".
        Sure it is possible and not so expensive to develop !

• Arjen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This request is now open for almost 2 years, why does it take so long to implement something so simple like this. Over 500 people took the effort of Googling, finding this page and clicking the vote button. There will be a time when people will start choosing alternatives...

• Paul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is one big draw back of using teams as it is being use more and more in large corporations. Default setting option to open in desktop versions are key.

• Harry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I strongly agree!

Warren, work on a solution has been going on for quite a while now. Any updates on the progress? Can we actually expect this to be implemented?

• Iwan van de Wetering commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When getting an e-mail with a shortcut to a shared Excel file, it allways start in Excel Online. All settings in SharePoint (OneDrive for Business, Search, sitesettings) are set to 'use application' and NOT online version. Very annoying...

• Dan Clayton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I will add a vote for this feature. Just spent the morning creating a document of links to various files in Team Channels only to realize that when you click on the link it does not provide previews of PDF, PPT or VSD documents. This was true for IE11, Edge, and Chrome. Only Excel gave a preview... Word gave you an edit option...

• Brian McFadden commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our users are familiar with desktop applications. The multiple view and edit options is hindering adoption.

• Clive commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

so long as this is a per-User setting! I quite like the 'preview' of Office docs, images and ZIP files etc whereas some of my employees simply want to go straight to Excel, Word etc...

• Andy Jones commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a key request for our operations as we would like to standardise our back end office to Teams. The other request was ordering by A-Z as default. Once they are done we are rockin!

• Mergim Esati commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd highly appreciate seeing this feature as soon as possible. We're deploying the Teams MSI, so our users won't be browsing teams.microsoft.com. Therefore it would be a whole lot easier for our users to understand Teams and learn to work with it. We have somewhat 4000 users, so I hope you guys at Microsoft understand how important this is to us.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base