How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Open in Word/Excel/PowerPoint as Default

It would be great if Teams would have the ability to always launch the desktop app when opening Office documents as opposed to launching the online version.

Rest of teams is awesome.

701 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jannie van der Walt shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

77 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like the Web view as default; sometimes you don't need to Edit the file, just View. Perhaps this can be an option that is enabled? For my organization for example, we wouldn't enable this.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Good morning all,
        Any news regarding this (needed) feature?

Thank you for the update of the answer :-)

• Nigel Jones commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This applies to any desktop software I have. Zipped files need to be unzipped to share and work with.

• Peter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is critical. Why would I have a teams client and powerful desktop word, excel, ppt applications to then use a limited experience within teams to edit them?

This should be at least a setting, if not default. Please fix!

• Andrea Marchetti commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a must needed setting which I cannot believe hasn't been resolved after more than 2 years. With the amount of Libraries we have this will be very difficult to go change each one, but then also doesn't give the flexibility for the users to chose their own preferences.

• Philippe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same request for me and my users specially for Excel document with filters and special display.
        I spent hours to find a workaround, I eventually did !
        As I am owner of Teams' Group, I openend SharePoint Library "Advanced Settings" and set "Always open in client".
        Now it is set for all documents, too bad ... But better than the default.
        Expecting one day something like "?desktop=1" ending URL, working like "Open in Excel desktop".
        Sure it is possible and not so expensive to develop !

• Arjen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This request is now open for almost 2 years, why does it take so long to implement something so simple like this. Over 500 people took the effort of Googling, finding this page and clicking the vote button. There will be a time when people will start choosing alternatives...

• Paul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is one big draw back of using teams as it is being use more and more in large corporations. Default setting option to open in desktop versions are key.

• Harry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I strongly agree!

Warren, work on a solution has been going on for quite a while now. Any updates on the progress? Can we actually expect this to be implemented?

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base