How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Open in Word/Excel/PowerPoint as Default

It would be great if Teams would have the ability to always launch the desktop app when opening Office documents as opposed to launching the online version.

Rest of teams is awesome.

896 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jannie van der Walt shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

96 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Mae Gerhart commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Maybe enable it on a user basis? I am an accountant I personally NEVER want to open Excel docs in the online version -- but other users do :-(

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I work in an organisation that has implemented Teams and I honestly cannot name one person in my organisation who would prefer the online version of office to default instead of desktop. Online is slow,clunky and generally useless.

Sort it out - please!

Nice (not) feedback for almost a year. Who is doing your communication strategy? Or is it a plan to ignore the users?

• Jan Zidek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wow - request registered on Feb 20, 2017, with 806 votes (as of 03.06.2019) and still not done... Damned be my company that they force us using Teams :(

• Nick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd also like to vote for this improvement. As I see, users have been waiting for a while but it's still the same. Opening files online is the most annoying feature for me in Teams despite many other benefits.

• Amanda commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My CIO says he likes Teams but doesn't want to use it as its too hard to open a file in the desktop app. This annoying behaviour is not helping to drive adoption of Teams

• Jonas Bøhmer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please update us @Warren. It's been a full year.

Pretty much all complaints i hear are related to missing shortcuts. Teams differ from Online differs from desktop. While this is the case it's uncomfortable to use more than one option, and I don't know anyone to always be content without desktop, so here we are.

So, when can we expect an improvement?

• C Hughes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This should have been standard functionality from the outset. I have sharepoint configured to open in desktop app as the default behavior. Teams is not looked on favorably because of this irritating behavior of having to click multiple times to get a file to open in the desktop app. Agree with anonymous - the current behavior is a waste of time.

• Geoff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would also like to add my voice to the request for this, it's super irritating that when you click on a document in files, the default behaviour is to use the inbuilt viewer within the Teams window, which doesn't give a good experience for editing and also means that you can't browse elsewhere in the Teams application to find another document or access chat, since it is a single view.

Please address this issue... so much wasted time in a productivity tool does not provide a positive experience

• Wouter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, please. We use teams in our company with many users. It's a general concern that you can't set your properties to open shared Office files always in the Client app.
    E.g. when you share a document to edit with team members it's obious that you don't use the online version.

• Michaela commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is a pity that in Team I cannot set the setting to open Excel, Word etc. in client application. The option to use Online is no added value as you hardly can do anything except of seeing information in a limited display version. Can you please provide an update when this feature will be available (as in SharePoint)?

• Jonathan Holmes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We're relatively new users to this Teams experience and it's already giving it a bad name. Some excel features just give a bad experience working on line and prompt you to make a copy - embedded objects for example. You can change the default on a Sharepoint site but not in teams. I've tried the workaround below but it still opens in the browser

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be great if there was a configuration option that changed the link used to open the file.
    This would allow not only a simple configuration change but when listing files in a wiki, another document, e-mail or in a chat, one could select the correct link to have the document open where it should as different environments have different needs, we could set it to all desktop app, all online or use a mix and use the corresponding links where we need them.

• Daniel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would really be an improvement if there were an optional configuration available for default behavior when opening files, desktop or online.

The user experience is sometimes really annoying, especially in the scenario where functions for information protection and/or conditional access are implemented.
    When opening protected files, users must wait for the online app to fail before they can open it in the desktop app, or some online apps only present the try to download the file instead.

Know that you can right-click and chose to open the file in the desktop app, but this is not good enough when you are used to work with full functionality and tools for information protection etc.Therefore, it would be great if an admin could change default behavior to improved user experience.

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base

You are about to visit the UserVoice site for Microsoft Teams

We have partnered with UserVoice, a 3rd party service providing public discussion forums for product-specific feedback.

By clicking "Continue to UserVoice" you agree to UserVoice's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.