How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Notifications are easily missed

The channel/team on which the notification has been made should stay more/better/longer visible so that you won't miss one. Slack is currently much better in that sense.

895 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

95 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Ambuj commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think this feature should be fixed at highest priority. Just to be sure that I am talking about same issue, I don't get notification in my PC. When i open teams then i can see the unread message in bold or mentioned, but no popups..
        This can and has caused miss communication and communication delay!

Its already been around 2 years since report.

• Robyn Bredvick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have a customer that I recently migrated from a GoDaddy tenant to an Office 365 Tenant. During this switch, they were forced to migrate from Skype For Business to Teams. Since this was a required switch, I would have thought Teams would be more enterprise ready. This is a huge drawback and I have people who are wanting me to investigate moving away from teams and to a third party solution. Please fix this as soon as possible!!

• Sean Ellis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The primary purpose of this product is to enable people to communicate. How can a defect which undermines this primary purpose have been known about for 18+ months, ignored for a year, and "under review" for 6+ months?

• Doug Clark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey Microsoft Teams Team! I am an Engineering Manager at an Enterprise software company. We are looking to move away from HipChat, which has been discontinued (as you know.) We have a number of accountants who want us to use Microsoft Teams, but we have hordes of engineers and managers and QA folks and others fighting tooth-and-nail to choose any tool other than MS Teams (OK, they all want Slack, but whatever.)

Why is it that they so desperately want to use anything other than MS Teams? Because when they've had to use MS Teams (which is used by a couple of internal IT groups) it has been almost impossible to get a hold of someone, or to know when someone is trying to get a hold of you. It's not because you don't have cloud recording, inline message translation, background blur on video, or any of the secondarily useful items on the Microsoft Teams Product Roadmap. It's because when you use Microsoft Teams, it is clear that actual communication is a secondary concern to the team building it.

I implore you to think long and hard about what you are building, and why, and remember that the folks who are currently using your software are suffering unnecessarily. I say unnecessarily because it would not be hard for you to fix their problems.

From a former (and possibly future) member of the Microsoft Teams community.

(Note that the details of this email thread, and your lack of attention to it, are being used as ammunition against your product in the product selection process. Something else to think about...)

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Team may be working hard but it's now 2 + months later and still no changes??? Huh???

• Tony Hunter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Every time the mobile app updates, you don't get any notifications until you open the app so it can complete an update!

• Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

we have just been "upgraded" from Skype for Business to teams and this is a serious issue for us, notifications just "disappear" and then messages are lost, please help with this urgently

• Mark Moore commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is not a "feature request" - This is a BUG!! and one that gets more serious the longer and more you use teams. My organisation now uses Teams extensively and I have been pushing for people to replace emails with conversations, but when the simple act of having the "Notifications" tab open marks all notifications as "read" this is becoming a major issue and people are missing important conversations. I had one day off yesterday and came back to 14 Notifications. I switch to the tab to start working through them, manage 2 before I get called to a meeting, come back and all the notifications are now marked as "read". Additionally setting notifications as "unread" does not stick, for the same reason as above. Simply having the notifications tab open for a period of time sets all notifications back to "read"

• Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My team frequently misses messages while switching between the "Chat" and "Teams" tabs - it seems like it would be really easy to give some visual indication when there's a message on the other tab, and even a change in the taskbar icon (message count or even just a different color) for when the app is minimized.

Since timeliness of responses is really important, it winds up really damaging the effectiveness of the app.

• Michael Saulters commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What about a system tray icon? Nothing I do can stop the OneNote system tray icon that I don't want to see, but Teams doesn't even have one? The only thing consistent about Microsoft UI standards is that Microsoft never follows them.

• Michael Saulters commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want to have the option for Teams on the taskbar to flash and continue flashing until I select it when there are new message. I need this option.

Unread counts on the chat and teams icons, and at every level below in both the 'Recent' and 'Contacts' lists.

This is BASIC stuff that should not have been missed before the product was released.

• Keith Jones commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

All we need is an option to change the timeout of when notifications disappear, with "Never" being a choice. Presumably capable of being x'd out. I have people in our org who are moving _away_ from Teams because they insist on an IM client that has something in their face until they dismiss it.

• Adrian Baker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Notifications in general are poor. I'd like to see (on the Mac client);
        - An unread counter in the taskbar icon
        - Don't hide channels where there are unread messages
        - Per team and per channel customisation
        - Why are we reliant on email notifications? The reason for Slack/Teams/WxT is to reduce email

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be great if the Mac version would use the built in notifications, thus allowing personalization of settings. For example, allowing a user to choose Banner (which goes away on its own) or alert that stay on screen until dismissed. Additionally, this would allow users to use do not disturb to turn off notifications while presenting.

• Orly Palomar Jr. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Make notifications more pervasive. People use Viber and Facebook Messenger more because these apps makes a distinct notification whether on mobile or PC and they're pretty much hard to miss (ie. chat heads, banners, etc.). I find that me and my co-workers keep missing notifications in Teams during chat and other changes in the channels, despite turning ON notifications for everything.

• Eric Lacroix commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree its hard to capture notification on a chat while using the dark skin more over bolding the text is not enough. What avbout having someting similar to what software developers are having with their text editor some hint or decorator on the scroll bar or something similar as in Outlook

• Tim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The pop up notification in Windows needs to stay up longer. Like Skype for Business. Teams "chat" lacks in this respect.

• khilton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be much better if the activity feed were always visible. If you split the feed section in two, always have activity on top, and then have your current activity (like chat) on the bottom, that would help immensely. I think most people are having the same issue of missing activity in a team while they're 'chatting'.

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base