How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Skype chat - both ways

If someone write from Skype, I can read and answer, but I cant start a chat with Skype users.

190 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

David Sanchez shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
we have this!  ·  Suphatra responded  · 

It looks like some people in the thread below have figured it out — we actually have this. You can start a chat both ways; the system will automatically recognize if this person is on Skype for Business or on Teams.

Thanks and let me know if you have any questions.

Suphatra

78 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with the comment below - Use search to find them and then start a conversation.

• Arden Shackelford commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm assuming you're referring to Skype for Business when you say Skype. Last I checked, if I search for a person's name, I can start a conversation with them regardless of their use of Teams or Skype for Business.

• Michael Lombardi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is problematic, especially for driving early adoption. Removing barriers to conversion for the individual would go a long way - right now, having to keep skype open so I can initiate conversations, but preferring to route conversations to teams if they message me - that's a pretty rough transition.

• Andreas Hufnagl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have the same problem. It's very annoying. Even if we disabled every Skype component in our Office plan for the users the message appears.
    Please fix this.

• Phil Lepanto commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be nice if the Office 365 Group / Microsoft Team had representation in Skype for Business so that you could see the "Conversations" in a skype screen and could respond via Skype and it would be reflected on the Team Conversations

• Johnathan West commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have this problem as well. When I first message a user it gives me the "This user is using SFB..." When I create a chat with the same user a second time, it appears to create it in Teams correctly - not sure why this is the case.

This is frustrating me too, the search always finds or makes up some 'skype for business' user even though the user exists on Teams, I have to find a message from them on a Teams channel and start the chat that way

• Victoria commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please fix: This user is currently using Skype for Business. Some Microsoft Teams features, including chat history won’t be available. I had the same problem. Had to set up a different channel to chat. It would never let me get through to that person again! Keep getting the above error message.

• Cindy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yep, I've got this issue too. Even when I know the person is online in Skype it won't send or if it does send they do not receive it.

• Andrey Kuleshov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1

Anyway it does not fully work - it losses formatting and images
    Why do we need some uncompleted integration?

• Abraham commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1
    This user is currently using Skype for Business. Some Microsoft Teams features, including chat history won’t be available.
    Invite to Microsoft Teams

• Arritx commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Me too. What's the problem? After a few days it has disappeared.

i was unable to respond to a group chat notification within Teams and could not retrieve it once i opened up skype for business

• Craig Bailey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It seems that if a user has signed up to Skype for business then trying to chat with them using the Teams Desktop App throws up an error stating that the user is using Skype for business and the message is not sent.

This seems to work via the web in teams, and can also be circumnavigated by clicking the invite to teams button, but this has to be done every day.

Very frustrating.

For some reason whenever we try to chat individually there is an error that says, "This user is currently using Skype for Business. Some Microsoft Teams features, including chat history won’t be available." Then the chat message won't send. We have Skype for Business on our plan, but have never set it up. Why is this happening?

• Eric Hamilton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When using P2P chat the dependency on Skype for Business is confusing. Many times I can't chat with a person if they're only using Teams and are logged out of S4B. It would be preferable to not have this dependency at all so that I can just use Teams as a standalone client with history for both channels and 1-1 chat.

1 2 4 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base