How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Skype chat - both ways

If someone write from Skype, I can read and answer, but I cant start a chat with Skype users.

190 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

David Sanchez shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
we have this!  ·  Suphatra responded  · 

It looks like some people in the thread below have figured it out — we actually have this. You can start a chat both ways; the system will automatically recognize if this person is on Skype for Business or on Teams.

Thanks and let me know if you have any questions.

Suphatra

78 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Josh Harp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is anyone at MS going to acknowledge the growing list of people having this issue. Labeling the Idea as "We have this" is not entirely accurate. Its like if you had a Pinto in the backyard that has a blown head gasket and hasn't run since the 90's and when someone says "Do you have a car?", responding with "We have this!"

• Randy Chapman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This only works between Teams and Skype for Business Online. In a hybrid scenario where users are in Teams and Skype for Business Server on-premises, a message from Teams to someone that hasn't used Teams, but is in SfB, gets sent as an email to invite them to open and use Teams.

• Morgan Helmen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How does this work? I have tried to search for my own Skype username, both using just my name and my registered Skype user name but I can't find it. So how I am supposed to start a conversation?

• Sara H commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Mine is not working as you say it should. When I write a message to someone who doesn't have Teams, but has S4B, they don't get a message, but instead get an email later in the day saying they missed a conversation from me. And since I also have S4B installed, messages not initiated in Teams for me only show up in S4B. It'd be nice if I could set my default to Teams so that messages show up there and only there.

• Richard Bradley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Suphatra,

Whilst it is true that we can initiate chat both ways, there are some issues and further unification would be very beneficial.

I am speaking from the perspective of using the browser view of both Skype and Teams (I need to maintain a platform agnostic approach with the use of various operating systems including) mixed with the apps view (e.g. on mobile phones).

Until Teams can fully replace the Skype interface then it is inevitable that some users will have both Teams and Skype open (in a mail or calendar tab). If a chat session is initiated from Skype then the Teams view does not register the conversation. This means that the conversation can not continue when the user moves away from their browser and relies on their mobile Teams app. This means that they then have to use the mobile Skype app.

When a Skype user responds to (or initiates a conversation) then the user is often notified in Skype and Teams becomes irrelevant.

If the user doesn't immediately acknowledge the message then there are times when both Skype and Teams creates a notification. Reading the message in one app (or browser tab) does not clear the notification in the other views of Teams (or Skype) and our users are becoming frustrated by clearing them down.

This thread has been going for some time now and we're not seeing any resolution.

Associated with the chat streams in Office 365 documents, this chat unification topic is one of the most significant defects that we are having to address with our users.

Richard.

• gutek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

new Skype sucks! new Skype sucks! new Skype sucks! new Skype sucks!

• Serge commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why the Teams' chat is neither synchronising with Skype for Bus chat nor with Outlook chat journ? How to get a single communication history?

• Brandon Kerns commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just wanted to add that I am still seeing this as an issue. We have a testbed of Teams users, and when logged in to Teams, a SfB user can be located via search and it notes that "This user is currently using Skype for Business" with the icon, but when a chat is actually sent to the SfB user it reports "Failed to send. We ran into a problem sending this message." This is the O365 SfB (not on-premises).

This is important for adoption of this product vs Slack (which is already a hard sell to the Slack-invested users) and user adoption in general, as a big issue with Slack in this area is that the team users must switch between the Slack and SfB clients depending on who they are talking to.

• Ray commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Let's clarify this you have this inconsistently. I can not reliably tell the status of a person in MS teams, if they are away, available, in a meeting (even just the color doesn't show the little circle just stays gray and the status says unknown until I send them a message and that sucks)

In addition we still can't accept group messages from S4B and it just automatically declines the invite and pops up a message, sometimes, in MS Teams, that I can't do anything with which also sucks.

TLDR fix the group messaging and the like between S4B and give me status' on users I may want to chat with before I interrupt them in a meeting otherwise that is useless. Also making sure my messages from MS Teams actually make it to S4B would also be delightful as well since many people at this point are not getting my messages and its affecting business.

• Ray commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I literally just ran into an issue where I have both Teams open and S4B open and I initiated a chat from Teams with a colleague on S4B and earlier this worked fine. My colleague sent me chat in S4B while I had both S4B and Team open, as I did before, and the message only showed up in S4B and I have nothing in Teams. Seems like a fairly huge bug to me. Please note this was a one to one chat.

Thanks.

• Jaro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think the issue is the "automatically" isn't very good. Just need to have an option on if I want to send to teams or SfB, or force SfB since its not intelligent. Otherwise, every time restarting a chat the message should go both to teams and SfB. Making the assumption that once a user uses teams they will always be on teams is causing issues.

• Kris Cremers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

David Johnson's analysis of the issue is very much on point. This is a real problem for someone who solely uses Teams for communications to people who use both platforms. Please escalate and fix this issue!

• Wayne Ramsay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

often receiving the error
    "Failed to send, We ran into a problem sending this message. Try again later."

even though I just recieved a message from this SfB user

• David Johnson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We had users who tried Teams, decided they didn't like it and went back to Skype For Business. In this case trying to message them from Teams sends the message to their Teams account (no Skype logo), which they aren't using. They see nothing in Skype, and only receive a missed message email several hours later.

If the Skype user messages someone in Teams from Skype For Business the message shows in Teams with a Skype logo against it. Teams users can reply to these messages and carry on the conversation, but after a while the Skype message will disappear from Teams and the Teams user is unable to message the Skype user again.

So I think our problem is that users who have tried Teams once effectively break messaging between the two products because there's no way to specify a Skype account when starting a new conversation.

• Ricardo Elena commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If the user is not register in teams you can find the contact and start chatting even if the person is on skype for business

There are issues when a user access Teams for the first time, when you search for the contact, the only result you get is the Teams user, you are unable to start a chat if the contact is on skype for business and not on teams

• Luke Wilson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That doesn't explain much Suphatra. how do i chat from teams to skype and skype to teams

• Andy Mercer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This works but not fully. The chats are persistent, and the video/audio doesn't work from Teams to Skype. Video and Audio are powered by Skype tech, so it should be interchangeable.

• Max commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

doesn't work consistently, we've been missing messages sent from skype to teams. Eventually we receive them in outlook as missed conversations.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think whatnis meant here is that messages sent from Skype to Skype should show up as conversation histories in teams. Meaning I could initiate a conversation in Skype and continue it on teams, having both clients logged on.

Feedback and Knowledge Base