How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Skype chat - both ways

If someone write from Skype, I can read and answer, but I cant start a chat with Skype users.

192 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

David Sanchez shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
we have this!  ·  Suphatra responded  · 

It looks like some people in the thread below have figured it out — we actually have this. You can start a chat both ways; the system will automatically recognize if this person is on Skype for Business or on Teams.

Thanks and let me know if you have any questions.

Suphatra

79 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Jan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Update: After checking my Teams this morning I noticed that a lot of my contacts are now shown with a skype icon next to them.

But still some of them not. But I found a fix for that!

First you need to shutdown Teams, after that you need to delete the files from these folders ->
    %AppData%\Microsoft\teams\Application Cache\Cache
    %appdata%\Microsoft\teams\Cache
    %appdata%\Microsoft\teams\databases
    %appdata%\Microsoft\teams\GPUcache
    %appdata%\Microsoft\teams\IndexedDB
    %appdata%\Microsoft\teams\Local Storage
    %appdata%\Microsoft\teams\tmp

Now the whole cache is "cleared" and after starting Teams, I can send now everyone a message from Teams to Skype

• Jan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Maybe I found a fix for this situation.

I'm trying to set up a Teams test group in our company and ran into the same issue.

I use the upgrade policy "Only Teams" and the rest of the company used islands before and now they're on "Skype for Business Only".

I can receive messages from Skype and users can see my online status but I cannot initiate a chat with them.

Until now! What I did, via PowerShell in this case, is the following:

I upgraded every user from "Skype for Business Only" as the upgrade policy to "Skype for Business with Teams collaboration"

The command for the powershell is:
    Grant-CsTeamsUpgradePolicy -PolicyName SfBWithTeamsCollabWithNotify -Identity E-MAIL

It's been an hour now and though not every user appears with a skype icon in my contact list after searching them, a big bunch of users will get a message if I send them one.

For sure, it can be a solution but could also be another dead end but maybe this will help until we get an official word from Microsoft.

So if you want to give it a try, make sure to use the Power Shell because it looks like that those commands go through without trouble (instead of the chaos in the web admin center)

Hope this will help at least some of you, I will give it now time until Monday to shoot every one in the company some test messages :D

Cheers

Jan

• Marcel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

After two years and still no solution? MS please come on. If you would like us to migrate over to Teams please do fix such basic functionalities.

Suphatra is no longer at Microsoft so any update on this matter would be appreciated!

• Nick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This does not work as intended. Even if a user is in Skype for Business only, and I IM them from Teams, it goes nowhere, or they get an email that I'm trying to reach them in Teams.

We really MUST have this in order to start a rollout.

• Rob K commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree with a lot of the most recent comments, If you are Teams only mode and try sending a message to someone who is still Island mode, they will get the message in Teams, not SfB. It would be awesome.. to have an option during the message send/chat to send to a Skype user, (in the case where they are not using teams yet.

• Matt Wood commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If it's tagged as "we have this!" does that mean it's now being ignored? MS Teams definitely does NOT have proper two-way interoperability. A Teams user cannot initiate a chat with a Skype for business user, making transitioning from SfB to Teams much harder.

• Nick Dorak commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This does NOT exist.
    We can respond to a message from a SfB user if they initiate the message. But there is NO way to contact a new person who is still using SfB if you are using Teams.

• Dipesh Arora commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am on Teams only mode and can't message someone using Skype for Business as it finds their Teams client even if they are not signed in. They get message saying your teammates are trying to reach you in Teams.

If the island mode user starts the conversation using their SfB client, it works and I get the message in Teams client.

We currently have users who have migrated to Teams only mode while others are in Islands mode but do not frequently use Teams hence, they end up never seeing the message.

If its possible to add a feature where an user who is on Teams only mode can choose whether to send the message to Skype or Teams instance of the Islands mode user, this will make the migration experience smoother.

While the expectation for a Islands mode user to use both clients is ideal and a lot of users do that, same can’t be expected of each user and hence, breaks down the communication chain.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This does not work. I cant message someone using SfB as it finds their Teams client even if they are not signed in. They get message saying your teammates are trying to reach you in MS Teams.
    But if they start the conversation using SfB, its fine.

• Evan Basse commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We tested Teams, without real integration we abandoned the migration. No idea why this is marked "We have this." You need to be able to easily start a chat or call with S4B user no matter if they have ever signed into teams.

The presence status shows "Offline" while using Team only or SFB only, but once change to Island mode, the presence shows correct.

What is see is that I can send Messages from Teams to Skype 4 B just fine but when people try to send to me from S 4 B I don't get the messages and they show up in my conversations inbox in outlook.

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I should add that even if my Org fully adopts teams I expect our contractors and partners to continue to use S4B for a long time (especially those with skype phone systems on prem), so interoperability is essential...

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base

You are about to visit the UserVoice site for Microsoft Teams

We have partnered with UserVoice, a 3rd party service providing public discussion forums for product-specific feedback.

By clicking "Continue to UserVoice" you agree to UserVoice's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.