How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Skype chat - both ways

If someone write from Skype, I can read and answer, but I cant start a chat with Skype users.

170 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

David Sanchez shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

It looks like some people in the thread below have figured it out — we actually have this. You can start a chat both ways; the system will automatically recognize if this person is on Skype for Business or on Teams.

Thanks and let me know if you have any questions.

Suphatra

67 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Dipesh Arora commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am on Teams only mode and can't message someone using Skype for Business as it finds their Teams client even if they are not signed in. They get message saying your teammates are trying to reach you in Teams.

If the island mode user starts the conversation using their SfB client, it works and I get the message in Teams client.

We currently have users who have migrated to Teams only mode while others are in Islands mode but do not frequently use Teams hence, they end up never seeing the message.

If its possible to add a feature where an user who is on Teams only mode can choose whether to send the message to Skype or Teams instance of the Islands mode user, this will make the migration experience smoother.

While the expectation for a Islands mode user to use both clients is ideal and a lot of users do that, same can’t be expected of each user and hence, breaks down the communication chain.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This does not work. I cant message someone using SfB as it finds their Teams client even if they are not signed in. They get message saying your teammates are trying to reach you in MS Teams.
        But if they start the conversation using SfB, its fine.

• Evan Basse commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We tested Teams, without real integration we abandoned the migration. No idea why this is marked "We have this." You need to be able to easily start a chat or call with S4B user no matter if they have ever signed into teams.

The presence status shows "Offline" while using Team only or SFB only, but once change to Island mode, the presence shows correct.

• MS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

dumb dumb.. it doesn't work in many cases. You don't got this!

What is see is that I can send Messages from Teams to Skype 4 B just fine but when people try to send to me from S 4 B I don't get the messages and they show up in my conversations inbox in outlook.

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I should add that even if my Org fully adopts teams I expect our contractors and partners to continue to use S4B for a long time (especially those with skype phone systems on prem), so interoperability is essential...

Tried in teamsonly mode and islands mode. Does not work.

A user in teamsonly mode can receive from Skype. Sending to a user in islands mode still sends the message to teams.

There appears to be no way to message a federated partner using Skype for business.

Teams will not let me @message an address outside my org.

does also not work for us. personal skype users works, skype for business users in other organisations doesent work.

• Dennis Bottjer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This doesn't work for us either. Internal Skype contacts show up in Teams but we can't message a Skype user from Teams and vice versa.

• Peter R. Welgan, Ph.D. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am a retired University professor who would like to provide relevant lectures to the PUBLIC.
        How do I create a Skype presence that enables me to communicate e WITH anyone who wants to contact me during my lecture and ask questions LIVE, creating almost a classroom atmosphere. The individuals attempting to communicate with me through Skype would have their image appear on my computer screen. I would click on that person's picture and we could talk as if in class. I under stand that about 20 plus individuals could present with questions with their pictures on the screen. Is that correct? How do I set up something like that?

Thank you for your help.
        Dr. Peter Welgan

I just got a message that because of this issue it appears that I ignore IM's (sent via Skype). So now instead of consolidating everything, I now have to have both Skype and Teams opened. Thank you Microsoft.

• Alvaro Soto commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is still an issue on my organization, I am surprised MS did the announcement of full interoperability from teams a few weeks back and this hasn't been fixed, I might be wrong and we would a hotfix or patch, but is really frustrating this post hasn't got any update for 1+ year from the dev team

• Joey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This isn't working for us either. We want to switch a bulk of users to Teams so as to get the process going, but after testing one user (switching them to IslandsWithNotify: no messages can be sent from SfB to the test user, and Teams does not carry to SfB from the test user.

We need this fixed.

• Paul Husted commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with the recent comments that this is NOT working in any way that makes sense.

I start a chat with someone who is has both Skype for Business and Teams running (both tenants in Islands mode). Other user sometimes receives chat in Teams, sometimes in SfB.

If they receive in Skype for Business and respond, I get the response back in Teams. So far, so good.

if the other user signs out of SfB to use Teams instead, a chat I send to them still tries to deliver to SfB - says they're offline and delivers the "chat" via email. Of course, the other user says they're online in Teams and is completely confused.

Bottom line, I can't tell what the ground rules are for which path Teams will use. And I can't tell users what they should do. We're to the point of just telling users to stay in Teams and not use SfB if possible. Hardly the right answer and frankly not possible when we interact with outside users who use both Teams and Skype for Business.

So --- what do I want?

I want a clear document that says what the interoperability behavior is right now -- not what it will be someday on the roadmap. And I'd like that document to be kept up to date as Teams evolves.

We monitor the roadmap document - that's great as far as it goes. But we and many of our customers are at various points in the SfB to Teams transition. Given that Teams is frequently updated across multiple platforms, the rules and interoperability patterns are in a constant state of flux. We're promoting Teams with our customers, but the constant confusion about how it will work is working against us all the time.

• Ben Kean commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature does not work and shouldn't be marked "we have this!" Once a user has logged into teams you can no longer contact them if they are logged into Skype for Business and not Teams. The reason it's SUPER confusing is that you are seeing their skype presence in Teams as available even though they will never get any notification that you sent them a message.

• Daniel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This does not function and even if it did, the documented notes say if that person ever opens teams it will never use Skype again.

This is a deal killer in many ways as what if one division adopts but another does not and then a user opens teams and now has to pick which division they want to be allowed to communicate with. Not everyone can go full boat in a on boarding solution but every must have 100% availability to communicate.

Please create the ability to set a default communication app in Office 365 so users can test and go back if needed during the transition.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base