How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

I want to use multiple Teams accounts at the same time

Original user posted:
I would like to heave this multi-team/tenant option within “MS Teams”, like in Slack. Currently I’m in four different organization. They’re using all office365, three of them now changed from Slack to Teams. I’ve to permanently login/logout to switch to the related MS Team. This is really time consuming.

Another user says:
We need the ability to sign in with multiple accounts. Many of us have several O365 accounts for various reasons (consulting, etc), and we’d need to be able to access teams directly.
This is not a federation or B2B scenario, but a case where new O365 credentials have been created in another tenant for us. The app today only allows a single signed-in account at a time and that’s a blocker.

SHARED CHANNELS ACROSS TEAMS
From a merged idea:
Please add support for shared channels which could be used in multiple teams. Suppose there is one company-wide team with multiple channels. It would be great if all teams within the company could include these channels or at least one of them in their own team. In that way you don’t have to recreate the channel for every team again.

8,507 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Joakim Atterhall shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

719 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Nikolas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Suphatra,

This is a common problem that people have with O365 products. If you are part of a large organization and all your cooperation is internal, there is no problem. But in smaller businesses collaboration across different organizations is the core of daily work.

If you think about it, why is email the main means of communication in the business world? Well, it's because it's universal: anyone who has any email address can write to anyone with any other email address (imagine if you needed to hold a @gmail.com account to write to a gmail user...).

So, if the objective is to create a tool that will reduce (or hopefully eliminate) the need for email, we need to make access to the tool universal. This way Teams users can comunicate with anyone using Teams in other organizations, and why not also those using Skype, Skype fB or other similar services.

• Rick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Using the desktop version I have to log out and then log in everytime I want to collaborate with another team. Very restrictive and annoying. We use consultants with multiple teams, and we consult in the say way causing us to limit use of Teams because of the need to sign out and back in to connect with another tenant.

1. No
    2. Logging in and logging out each time - I have an account within each organisation that I am working with
    3. Business and Project Consulting

• Mikko Kaarela commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With the external access, various service providers etc. need to invite customers to join their team and vice versa. So, we'll need the option to be logged in to my company's internal Teams account and several external Teams at the same account. Hopefully without need to log in N+1 times every morning.

• Jeff Erickson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Suphatra. Our use case relates to the merged request to open multiple instances of Teams. We do NOT need to log in with a different tenant, rather we want to be able to work in multiple areas of the Teams app concurrently without having to do a lot of clicking to move around. E.g., I may have a one-on-one chat window open with a team member while I am working in a channel or on a Teams wiki page. When I go to the chat it takes a lot of clicking to get back to the wiki. Similarly, I have had a video chat going while at the same time looking through channels in a Team. I would like to keep the video feed open on one monitor, full screen, while editing and writing in the channel on my second monitor. I may want to review edit suggestions in a conversations in a chat while making edits to a wiki or OneNote page, clicking back and forth between the two is very slow.

• Michael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is also a big issue for me. I manage projects as a consultant for multiple clients, and with 2 of them we are using Teams for collaboration. I also use it with my own business to collaborate with my staff. Using the desktop version I have to log out and then log in everytime I want to collaborate with another team. Very frustrating.
    Also it is frustrating that we cannot add an external party to our team. As we are using it for projects we often have other stakeholders who we would like to include in the team, but without giving them an account in our system we cannot invite them to the team. Specifically for your 3 questions:
    1. No
    2. Logging in and logging out each time - I have an account within each organisation that I am working with
    3. Business and Project Consulting

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I work as a consultant and need the ability to use my own company provided account, and client provided accounts at the same time. The workflow is not "across teams" but that I just might need to have two teams open at the same time that have a different master O365 account.

• DavidO commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

...So maybe the selection would be for the primary organization's name, not my username. That way, if there are future ones (like being on a board that has their own instance of Teams), I could seamlessly switch to that one also, regardless of what email account was used with the username.

• DavidO commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have three companies. Two are in similar space and share an O365 account, so that part is easy. I have one primary user account that can float between both of them. But the other is a totally separate company, with totally separate staff, in a totally separate sector, with a totally separate O365 account.

I would like a quick way to store both credentials, and something like a drop down box at the top of the application that would allow me to switch between the two separate O365 accounts.

3) does it matter? you have people requesting the feature. As Nike states, just do it.

• Stevo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

1. No.
    2. Using different browsers - ugh:(
    3. I am a consultant working across 4 office 365 tenants. The inability to work across multiple tenants in the same browser/app drives me crazy, I'm forever logging and logging out. For Teams, this scenario is hopeless.

• John McCreery commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have downloaded the Microsoft Teams Application and I would like to be able to open another instance of the ap to run at the same time on a different monitor. I am using a Tri-monitor scenario. I like how teams pulls everything together, however, without the ability to open multiple instances its forcing all of your aps onto one monitor which defeats the purpose of having multiple monitors. I do this all the time with Excel. If it can do this already, I have not figured it out yet.

• Tiago Costa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi,

2. One in the app and 2 other in different browsers... Basically is a mess to work like this.

3. I'm a contractor. I need to be connected to my customers Tenants on teams. I'm trying to push this feature to more customer, but working like this or with Chrome profiles is not be best way...

Greetings,

1. There is a problem when you want to work with Teams that is in the AD Tenant which is different to the one with which your PC is associated and you are logged in. Teams uses SSO...

2. We have to have one teams opened as the App and another in the browser.

3. We are software solution providers and we have one Teams for our own company and another Teams is provided by our customers. We have to use both simultaneously.

• B.P. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

1. I haven't experienced this.

2. Logout of teams and then login with different tenant ID.

3. The most obvious use case would be design, deployment, support of office365 as a service.

The case exists even for individual within organizations that own or operate multiple seperate entities that exist on their own tenant although that could be resolved by centralization. I think systems integrators and freelance consultants need this service the most. That or individuals that may to volunteer work for other organizations on the side.

The obvious problem is that with the current situation, a person is only getting notifications from one account.

• B.P. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In the same way as in outlook mobile for android where I can see All account activities or seperate account activities where each account is a tenant let me logged in simultaneously. The problem with logging in and then logging out is obviously separation of notification functions.

This could get messy but the reality is that many people may be pulled into other tenants for the purposes of collaboration.

Allow us to activate multiple tenants within a single.session without having the client interface coming to a grinding halt.

• David Maas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Suphatra

1. I've never had this happen with Teams specifically, but I've had issues with this and O365 in the past. It seems to be related to having one tenant using an SSO solution and the other just using the default O365 authentication.

2. Currently, I use the Teams desktop app for one tenant, and the web app for another. I can deal with not having one of them on my phone, so only one is on my phone right now.

3. My personal use case is both my day job and my part-time startup use Teams.

As another use case: Our interns attend a university that uses Office 365, when the university enables Teams I imagine they will want to be able to use both the university Teams and word Teams at the same time.

• Bas de Wit commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

All O365 apps should have multiple account support. People don't always just work for one company. Look at MS Outlook and OneDrive app. That's the way to go!

• Peter Hood commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Regarding point 3, I use 3 different O365 accounts all day every day (but struggle to do so due to the poor way in which MS authentication works in general when using multiple accounts with tools like OneNote, OneDrive etc.). I have 2 x work accounts (separate companies) and I also use an account at home. Just make the experience of working across multiple accounts similar to how easy it is to work with multiple mailboxes in Outlook and you cant go wrong. Look to Slack for inspiration, I guess. Thanks

Feedback and Knowledge Base