How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Make it possible to remove and/or rename the default tabs (files & notes)

It would be really great if we would be able to remove / rename the default tabs. A lot of times files / notes are too generic names for the tabs, so renaming would be really helpful then. :-)

564 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Daniel Laskewitz shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

104 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

why would this be declined? , as a large company we don't want to split our data up into different sites.

the entire teams tab has been disabled for this very reason for our company until something could fix this.

• rino commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

SO microsoft decided that teams needed a chat room and file repo. These can not be even be hidden or moved. So there are not tabs but system requirements. Which would mean that if you ar enot using chat and file repo as a main use as a team tehn youa re not using the product as it was intended. Any other tabs are thus meant to be optional or something. This is confirmed by the fact that you can not even export the wiki pages to a word document. It's a real shame really. If those tabs are required by the system then one work around could be the possibility to hide them or move them. Easy enough I would say. But there must be some grand design somewhere..

• FIX THIS NOW commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Warren

This simply MUST be revisited and included in a future release. We MUST be able to perform AT LEAST ONE of these actions: Rename /Hide /Remove, for both conversations and Files. The tool is dead on arrival if we, as administrators cannot customise this basic stuff. We integrate our 3rd party cloud storage as an additional tab, so we're left with duplication for file storage and lots of confused users and lots of user queries being generated.

What a huge step backwards from SharePoint. We are a very large enterprise customer (~100K users) and will have to consider other options soon.

• Jason lee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If not remove the tab or hide it allow the team owner to re-direct to which file library it points to.

• cacaret commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very disappointing, don't see the problem of hidding the files and even conversation tabs. Can you explain at least?

• Tim Boote commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Team Files creating a folder at the top level of the SharePoint group is problematic. Team Channels do not reflect the SharePoint folder structure and are littering the structure. Removal of the Files tab or some way of preventing SharePoint folder creation or managing location of SharePoint folders is needed

• ITPro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are very disappointed to see this declined... O365 should be an all you can eat buffet, where organizations get to pick and choose what they want to eat. Without the ability to control default features, O365 is an all you can eat buffet where your forced to eat everything or nothing...

Choices! We want choice! We want to make the decisions on how our technology solutions will work for our organizations, because we know what will work best. Until Microsoft lets organizations make their own choices, they will remain a good company, but never be great.

• Alex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I seem to be running into a similar problem, is it part of the same thing?: We've renamed a channel, but it doesn't carry thru to the header under the Files tab. If I try to change it in SharePoint, it just creates a new SharePoint folder of the new name. If this is indeed how it works, then the changing the name of the Channel is not really functional. So I'd need to create a new channel... but now there's discussion content built-up and I don't see any functionality to transfer that content. I wish we hadn't been able to change the channel name because then we would have started a new channel and not been in this situation.

• Kalle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this feature request has been declined."

So what the users want is not your problem it seems?

Solution: other software :-(

• Matt Stark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This seems like a basic option. Why has this been declined? This is the first thing every medium to large company wants to point at their existing document management solution ...

• Jean-Philippe Baril commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Teams app is great but in real life we often already have a SharePoint where we put all company files. And all company files need to stay there. So if we could map on (or remove default Files tab and recreate a new one pointing to) a subfolder of company SharePoint, that would be awesome.

Feedback and Knowledge Base

You are about to visit the UserVoice site for Microsoft Teams

We have partnered with UserVoice, a 3rd party service providing public discussion forums for product-specific feedback.

By clicking "Continue to UserVoice" you agree to UserVoice's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.