How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Move conversations to different channels

If a conversation is started in one channel but gains importance to the point where the conversation deserves its own channel. Or a conversation was started in the wrong channel and needs to be moved

2,515 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Kevlangdo shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

255 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Mick Campbell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This should have been basic functionality from the outset! Are there considerations which I'm not aware of...otherwise please prioritise?

• Beth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'll just add to everyone else here, yes the survey is broken, but yes this is an absolute must!! We are part of a small group in a larger corp that is looking to use this long term as a way to communicate on team business, proposal development, project implementation and long term support and the ability to move channels and/or the conversations from one team to another is one of the things we feel is severely missing from the Teams capabilities! We look forward to seeing this in action! Any timeline as to when this might be implemented?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be helpful, specially when you have a huge Programm and do not wanna have so many different Teams and channels to keep the overview. So under Register Card it should be possible to add "Chat" and then you can have specific Chat for the subproject...

Agreed. This would be very helpful to have and a great way to be able to react when teams or groups reorganize but what is being worked on stays the same.

• Stephen Redshaw commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be very valuable, for Project teams a chat often starts between two individuals and expands as they work out problems, being able to move it into a channel would not only allow maintaining history but also consolidate for broader discussion and reduce maintenance. At the moment I manually go in, move any files across into theproject folders and put a "Closed -Pj name" so I can use search to easily find the closed chats against a project once it disappears from the chat list.

I'm also waiting for this feature. Not only a channel - also required to move (or copy) a 1:1 chat-session to a Channel

• Gabriel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be very helpful to maintain the life cycle of the team.
        Glad it's on the works!

• Steve D commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just transferred a channel using the manual route, very tedious. When do you expect being able to copy or cut and paste channels between teams?

• Jessica K commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there any update yet on when this will be available? Just a thought but even if we can’t get a move function a copy of the tab to a different channel would certainly do the trick- anything to avoid the nightmare manual cleanup. Looking forward to whatever solution the dev team can come up to get us headed in this direction!

• Shira Zemel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I saw @Suphatra's comment -- but the survey link isn't working, bummer! really want this!!

• Noah Souza commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The ability to move conversations would be absolutely amazing since we still can't fully rename a team (URL, email, etc). It would also reduce risk of incorrectly establishing the scope of a team when planning for the future.

• A.C.Wagner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello Suphatra, thanks for sharing. Can you tell when it could be tested in Ring 4 or is it a feature that adminwise we have to turn on?

← Previous 1 3 4 5 12 13

Feedback and Knowledge Base