How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Persistent notification

I'm using Mac and one annoying thing is that I'm not getting notified of new messages in team channels (whether I'm mentioned or not) because I missed the banner in the top right of the screen, either from being away from my desk or focusing on my second screen. The red icon is added to the actual application icon in the dock menu when I get a direct chat but there should be something here to indicate that team chats have new messages

549 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

37 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sys Tray blinking or Sys Tray number would work better than the text notification which disappears after some time and even than taskbar blinking which is not very intrusive.

• Robert Hutzel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would prefer a notification system tray icon or flashing taskbar icon. Banners can be missed, are distracting, and invade privacy while screen sharing.

Notifications kill this app for me right now. A simple number count (like skype) in the system tray would be perfect. Currently I have to keep the window open all the time to see if any red numbers appear in any of the left-hand tabs. The sound notifications are completely broken so have had to disable them all (meaning no notification of incoming calls).

• Mark James commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@suphatra Your response from 31 January mentions iOS, but lack of group chat notifications is an issue with OS X / macOS too. Any ETA on a fix please? (I'm struggling to see why our users would move from Slack to MS Teams otherwise.)

Notifications are almost the worst part of this app. I think maybe the problem is that Teams doesn't seem to have any concept of a multi-monitor world. If you use it on anything other than your primary monitor forget about useful notifications.

I'm not on a Mac but the notifications in Windows are brutal. I have Teams on a second monitor and I have never seen a red dot on the Teams icon in my system tray, or on the Teams icon in my second monitor status bar - ever. If I miss the banner I'm hooped unless I check into the window every now and again. The email notification is sporadic at best, most times I get hours old notifications sometime late in the day.

• Florence commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Similar to Slack, Fleep, Skype, and others, the systray icon should change if a new, unread message arrives. Part of the problem is that the Settings > Notifications area of the Windows app doesn't have very many options. I would like to see an option where I do NOT get a pop-up notification on the lower right corner. Some messages may be private, so I don't want someone walking by to be able to see them. Instead, I should be able to DISABLE pop-up messages and get a systray icon change that visually tells me there are new/unread messages -- again...similar to Slack, Skype, etc.

• Matt Boelter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Additionally, the current notifications do not appear on full screen workspaces. Use of system notifications would resolve this.

• L Sattler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In one chat session, I had the following types of notifications - a. A red 1 shows up on the team icon in the bar at the bottom of my monitor. b. The Team icon was moving around, C had a pop-up window appear with the verbiage inside.

• Dan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Glad to see this brought up. I agree many times over with this issue! I have to manually check TEAMS to see if anything has changed.

Or just use the existing OS X notification center. I have three competing notifications going from Microsoft doing its own thing.

Upvoted. Making the icon bounce (with the option of one-time bounce or continual bounce) would be particularly appreciated.

• Josh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

On Mac OS, your notification system breaks through Mac OS' Do Not Disturb settings. Please fix this.

It will be great if we can implement showing Alert on the right side corner even if the desktop app is minimized from the system tray. There not even an orange alert at the window tab.

2 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base