How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Persistent notification

I'm using Mac and one annoying thing is that I'm not getting notified of new messages in team channels (whether I'm mentioned or not) because I missed the banner in the top right of the screen, either from being away from my desk or focusing on my second screen. The red icon is added to the actual application icon in the dock menu when I get a direct chat but there should be something here to indicate that team chats have new messages

548 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

37 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Erika Burkart commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use windows and I would like the chat feature to be distinguished, such as have it open in a separate dialogue box. It gets cumbersome to have to go between every chat while I'm trying to work on files. Plus if I'm not looking at my computer screen for the few seconds the little alert comes up, the icon badge just adds a number to the notification. I get so many alerts. I need something to make it easier to go between chats and to keep working while having chats out, and to know when someone messages me

• Gerardo Álvarez León commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is this issue, posted in January 2017 "still under consideration" since September 2018?
    Is there really no option to make the notifications stay on screen?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is ridiculous! If I miss the five seconds the banner notifies me that I have a new message, I am not notified at all. Microsoft, listen to your customers. FIX THIS POS!!!!!

Please give us the option to make them persistent untell addressed by the recipient.

• netTrek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We switched from slack to teams. But as long as the banners disappear automatically, it's not usable! Please Fixed it

• Coalescence Global commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is CRITICAL! My conversations are getting missed/dropped because the notification banners disappear so quickly (on the desktop app)! Please FIX this behavior ASAP!

I recently installed Teams in my organization with excitement to put in a messaging application. To my dismay, the lack of persistance makes it not only challenging, but actually opens a door for dropped communications that we did not have with emailing each other..

It's a good idea, but there really must be a setting to keep the notification window on top, or something more agressive to get a user's attention.

• c commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Tray icon should indicate the notification, not your presence! Should do it like Slack does to be similar rather than making up your own way because it's confusing. But it would also address the persistent notification thing. Very simple.. Red dot means a message directed at you. Orange dot perhaps means new messages (in channels you care about.. which should be configurable). Green dot indicates new messages period. Flashing could indicate a difference between message directed at a group that includes you or reply to your post, versus a message that specifically has you mentioned or a chat.

• Michael Tech commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this is the reason why I will suggest my company to stop working with teams... why using it's own limited notification system when it could be connected to notification center on Mac? That one's is limited, too - but at least it's got persistent notification bubbles....

• Earl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

how can I stop this pop ups saying John Doe is now online or John Doe is now offline? It all started this morning when MSteams got an automatic update. grrr.

• GoLo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Chiming in as well. On Mac, the Teams Alerts and System Notifications don't play together well. The pop up sits behind any system Notifications that are top right on the screen. Not being able to read an alert is annoying. Not being able to accept a call or chat is frustrating.

• Dave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is not just a problem with Mac OS. In addition to this, a notification doesn't even sound when Teams window already has the focus (i.e. the cursor is on teams or you haven't clicked off it to give another program the focus). This can get confusing for a multi screen display when watching a video or scrolling through a webpage article or something that does not require focus so the focus remains on Teams the whole time on a separate screen and you end up missing several messages cause it never played a notification.

• Gabriel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to also see this on Windows! no small indicator on tray icon for team chat messages. Only on task bar icon

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base