How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Make "Teams" and "Chat" the same Tab

There is no reason that Teams and Chat should be different top level categories in the left navigation. They are the same thing, perform exactly the same function, and making two different items simply confuses the navigation and makes badge notifications and discoverability much more difficult to use.

Please combine Chats into the Teams tab so that you can browse all conversations in one place rather than needing to navigate to different tabs to see different conversations.

Chats and channels perform essentially the same function, which is talk to some people and collaborate. Forcing the user to check two different lists to see if somebody is messaging them is a really bad experience, it is like having two different chat apps.

This is one usability issues that makes Teams less usable for collaboration than both Slack and Skype.

1,800 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Samuel Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

243 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would definitely like that, however, I understand that others would not like them lumped. May I make a suggestion, Have a page that you can add your favorites from chat and teams on there.

Our chat has both business and goofing emails in that section, but I can see where having both of these sections together can be cumbersome for bigger companies.

Like I said above, Solution - HAVE personal "dashboard" or page that we can list what we want on there "Activity Window (with optional of how many to show like 5, 10 etc.)", favorite Teams (opt for how many etc), favorite chat (opt for how many) etc.

The other thing is have the ability to pop out a team/chat etc. There are some teams I work with ALL day and would like to just have that open in separate window.

Thanks!
    Andres

• Haley P commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to vote AGAINST this idea. Our clients have official / business related speak in the teams, and the Chat is for fun/ goofy or unofficial communication. Please do NOT lump them.

• LisaJo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with offering the option but, frankly, my biggest gripe and annoyance is the over use of the term TEAMS. That redundancy alone...let alone the functionality differences even though it's the same word is frustrating. I know you're more creative than this! :) Trying to train users and keep their department 'team' separate from the 'team site' from the 'team' app from the 'team group' (oh boy...now I'm stuck using another overly used term...) is just plain confusion. There's got to be a way to be descriptive, unique and not require a lot of rework....?

• Miguel Vazquez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Now that the obvious bugs in Teams have been solved, this is the most painful feature I miss.
    In Slack, I have all channels and personal chats in 1 page and I am made aware immediately of new chats.
    In Teams, if I spend some time chatting with a teammate, I miss new chats on team channels, except if I am mentioned.

• Jamey Steinmann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like the current layout. If this is something that needs to happen, please put it in the User settings so there is a choice of which layout to use. I think a unified chat/teams layout would be a cluttered UI experience.

• Vydruth Pulluri commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like the current layout more.. So if this is done please make it customizable so that people who like it now will not hate the change you make.

-Vydruth

• Sasha commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with this but you can also respond to someone from the command prompt bar by @messaging an individual or group chat. That way you do not need to leave your original screen.

• Tomáš Prokop commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are trying to force our users to keep information and conversation in project grous instead of sharing in DMs (data protection). Current layout works great.

• Oz Donald commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Here's the problem with the current layout, it's not efficient if there is a constant communication.

Slack & Discord allow the users to view channels + DMs/Private Messages on the same screen without having to tab through a sub-interface to switch between "Teams"/Channels & DMs/Private Mesages.

Example - I'm discussing with John Doe in DMs, but I get an alert that I have a mention in Channel A. So now, I have to click on Teams, then the channel.

One *could* make the argument that I use the activity feed, put the point still stands, I need to click on activity and then the appropriate message to see it, which is two clicks.

Granted it's only *one* extra click but with Slack & Discord, everything's on one screen and there's no back and forth between sub-interfaces in the UI.

If anything, we should have the option to do both. Have Teams/Chats tabs OR the option merge them sort of speak and have Teams/Chats on the same interface.

If you folks do this, please make it an option. I work with several teams containing large numbers of people. I appreciate the contextual separation between teams and chat. Also, I react more regularly to the badge on chat than on teams. So if some team activity (which I don't care about as a rule like a group mention), I would find it very frustrating not being able to distinguish the badge from a pending chat.

• Justin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I certainly do disagree on that.
    Having a visual distinction of Chats and Teams clears often the confusion of, where do I look. Imagining to have chats and teams in one Tab and having many individual Chats, that would just be a long long list to scroll through.

Certainly it would help to pin group conversation to a specific team what thereby would also be not necessary anymore as soon as private channels are released.

But I think it would be smart to add a customization option for people who would like to have it, but make this as optional and keep the current separation as default

• Sean Ellis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It seems like this is dividing opinion.

This is yet another example of why a product with a diverse user base needs meaningful customization options. The configuration mechanisms in Teams are almost nonexistent.

"No options" is not an option.

• Amanda commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While I agree that they are separate things, it is very difficult to have to toggle between them. I use a team with my main team but also chat frequently with other people in the company outside my team. The way the UI is set up, it is onerous. +1 for the favorites idea or for maybe adding badges to the icons in the left navigation to see places that need attention easily no matter which category (chat or teams) you're currently in.

Dear Microsoft, please deny this feature request and keep private messages separate from Team messages.

I see people here saying things like "if you use slack then you'll see chats and channels are the same thing."

I do use Slack and that's just wrong lol, Slack has Direct Messages and then channels, two separate places for chatting...

Please see this article for proof: https://get.slack.help/hc/en-us/articles/212281468-Direct-messages-and-group-DMs

Teams and Chat should not be merged.

Disagree. I see the distinction and need for having them separate. Teams contains conversations that are visible to the entire Team. Chat is private between one or more individuals of your choosing. Not visible to anyone else. I think of it similar to Facebook. I don't expect to see my private one-on-one or group Messenger conversations in my personal feed or group feeds. They are two separate things.

I think this is a bad idea from a UX perspective. I chat with multiple people outside the Teams I am in. IT is fine as it is,

Sounds like few people who dislike this idea have used Slack. That layout is so much more efficient.

I can't believe over 1000 people voted for this. Teams and Chat are completely different. Please do not do this - it will make things more confusing for users!

• Lydia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please don't.
    Teams and Chats function is very differently and fulfill very different needs.

Feedback and Knowledge Base