How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Make "Teams" and "Chat" the same Tab

There is no reason that Teams and Chat should be different top level categories in the left navigation. They are the same thing, perform exactly the same function, and making two different items simply confuses the navigation and makes badge notifications and discoverability much more difficult to use.

Please combine Chats into the Teams tab so that you can browse all conversations in one place rather than needing to navigate to different tabs to see different conversations.

Chats and channels perform essentially the same function, which is talk to some people and collaborate. Forcing the user to check two different lists to see if somebody is messaging them is a really bad experience, it is like having two different chat apps.

This is one usability issues that makes Teams less usable for collaboration than both Slack and Skype.

1,800 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Samuel Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

243 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Bernd Krell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Couldn't agree more. When you are loaded with work, every click which can be saved is a win. Slack really does a great job with easy navigation. You should just copy it if you rather then keeping what you have now.

• Samuel Sze commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In combining teams and chats into a single list, you can still have them clearly separated... See images from Slack, Hipchat, or Skype for examples...

Here's how Slack handles channels / private chats:
    http://cdn1.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/631624/slack-desktop-integrations.0.png

Hipchat is similar:
    https://chriskief.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/hipchat-ui.png?w=660

Skype's a little different, but still has all conversations living in one place:
    https://biz30.timedoctor.com/images/2015/06/Favorites-and-Recent.png

• Nick Castro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I personally like them being in one place. In my role I always have activate conversations simultaneously happening both in channels and private chats (DMs). So having to click back and forth after new responses in each gets old quickly. If there is enough of a user base that wants both perhaps make it a changeable preference.

• Eduardo Spitzner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Maybe the best solution to "please Greeks and Trojans" is transform the chat tab as a Chat/Conversation Hub, when all chat and conversations can be found.
    As an option, the user could filter for chat, team conversation, not seen, my conversations, etc.
    In the Teams Tab it should still the tab for conversation, so in this tab you can see all about the team (including the conversations).

• Eric Edwards commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

On one hand, I like that they are separate. On the other, it sure takes a long time to swap between them. I like how slack has them both visible at the same time but in clearly different parts of real estate on the left. Please consider that or some kind of hover menu to speed up swapping.

• Eduardo Spitzner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I Agree with Geral Bauer. Sometimes is important to see the diference between private and team conversation. Maybe if the conversations written in Team conversation room, appears in the chat tab as Team Conversation to (as a copy - and even in chat tab and the team conversation tab the conversation could be maintened... So the 2 perspectives are provided.

• Gerald Bauer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No, please don't Combine it. I want a clear difference between private und team conversation.

@philip t: this may be a matter of what people are accustomed to... In Slack, you have all chats in a single list, Channels up top (essentially what Teams chats are), and private conversations below. In Skype, likewise you have favorites chats above and other recent chats below. It's simpler having one place where all of your conversations live.

Out of curiosity, what application have you been using that separates team conversations from direct conversations?

• Scott Fyfe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree. Teams and Chat should be merged into one tab. In HipChat your rooms (channels) are at the top, with active individual chats beneath. One view of all conversations, rather than having to constantly switch between tabs.

• Philip T commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No please don't make them the same Tab, I'm can't see why anyone would get confused by having them in different tabs. Particularly since you can have messages with people that are outside of your team, Why would that message be under my "Team" tab.

Ditto @Marecz

• Mike Therien commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What you describe seems to be what the Activity tab is used for. It consolidates messages.
    Personally, I wish there wasn't a private chat feature and everything is done in a channel. But I understand the need for private conversations.

• Adam Oakley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm not sure if making them the same tab is the right answer but I voted because right now it's a little confusing.

Favorited channels should be at a higher level, I shouldn't have to open a team to get to a channel in my opinion

True, there are minor differences between the teams chats and direct chats... But in terms of navigation and notifications, knowing where to look for messages, I think it makes more sense to have them in the same list. What I am hearing from colleagues right now is that people find it hard to know when they are being messaged in Teams, and where to look for messages. If I get pinged and there are two different alerts badges for messages, thats confusing imho... This is something those other chat apps do better

• Marecz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Its 2 diffrent tab, one is alternative for Skype for Business other is for Groups Sharepoint, Planner, Notes etc.

• Laurent Lee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is no conversation blocks (like you can create several conversations, and people can reply to specific ones) in chats, or said otherwise, the chat is just a big single conversation.
    I see a difference, but I agree with you that it's minimal.

Feedback and Knowledge Base