How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Add option to make emoticons smaller or be turned off

Would like the ability to turn off all emoticons. Every chat application I've ever used (Skype, Lync, Slack, Hipchat) allow this option. Or/and make the emoticons smaller.

It would also be nice to have the option to minimize an emoji or resize an emoji within the chat feed once a user has posted it. Currently ‘edit’ or ‘delete’ is available per message, possiblly if ‘minimize’ or ‘collapse’ option would make this possible? This would enable the viewer of the feed to create their own visual experience/not have to look at emoji if they don’t want to.

476 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

64 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't mind the emoji's but the size of manually typed ones are too large, and searching from a menu defeats the impromptu aspect of using these, too. I'd choose no emoji's if a menu were the only alternative.

• Justme commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree, animated emojis are annoying in a workspace. Well, they are always annoying, but here they are also nonsense.
        And yes, they are far too big.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Teams is a business messaging system, not an app for pre-preschoolers.

I don't want it automatically replacing what I type with emojis, especially not big, animated ones - these get in the way of communicating effectively and professionally with my colleagues.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Due to the issue that different people had vastly different interpretations of some popular emojis, we would like to have the option to turn them off for certain agencies that are in our single government tenant. Primarily due to the issue that our content is subject to FOIA requests and limiting the content's interpretation is the underlying issue.

• Andy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

seriously just remove animated emjojis, how is that something you actually want in a work messaging system?

• Sean Ellis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Warren refers to the "compact mode" thread as a possible workaround for not implementing this option.

So far, it has been in "working on it" state for over 18 months but we have not seen any prototypes, plans, ETA, sketches, descriptions or any evidence of progress.

The commment thread is here - https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/17408641-please-create-a-professional-compact-chat-layout - please visit, and vote for it, and perhaps we might see some movement.

• Julie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would love the ability to turn off or pause emojis. I like emojis, but all that movement is distracting.

• Paul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Type an emoji, only one, any one, then hit send.

A lone emoji character in a message pops up in your feed and the recipients' which is:
        - 3x bigger than it needs to be
        - 3x bigger than the typical small emoji in a message with additional text
        - 10x more annoying than small emoji, which are annoying enough as it is

So I say your 50% size reduction "fix", while reducing eyesore, only went part of the way:
        1) Please remove (or add an option to remove, if you really must) the the honking-massive single emojis
        2) Emoji are not too offensive in an office setting if they are static (some might disagree). Please create a setting and make the default either to not animate or only animate once or twice (like GIFs). If people want their gaze to be perpetually distracted, they can turn this back on
        3) As you've already planned, Yes - Please allow users to turn it off completely.

• Emiliano Heyns commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can I use tampermonkey to kill these things? Really unbelievable that a business communications tool has these and doesn't at the very least offer an option to turn them off. Did the focus group that OKd this use Teams for more than a week?

• Megan Sullivan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really it would be nice to just turn off the motion in the emojis. It is so distracting to have the eyes and eyebrows keep moving above a statement I'm trying to read. It takes away from the professionalism of the application. It's nice to have them available, but it is distracting and detracts from the usability to not have that option.

• Sean Ellis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

20 months since original request. Partial solution unsatisfactory. Still waiting for a simple option.

• Ben commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Warren, when you say "the option to Turn Off Emojis is still being worked upon", will this fix the fact that it automatically converts "shortcuts" to emojis? I deal with a lot of IRS code and it is annoying to have 401(k) or 415(b) converted into kissing and beer emojis. What is worse is when you turn off emojis in the current software, it just does it for your display, but still "sends" the emojis to coworkers/clients.

• Jc D. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Recent comments say everything...

Still way too big (4 times the font size instead of 1.25), way too much animation (just useless except to forbid you to read fast).

Best simple solution : let us have the capability to replace easily (component, package, or else) the default set by another set of emoji that fit our needs. Even turning off emoji can be replace by a package with blank pictures.

• JK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Huge emojii and animations (whether animated emojii, animated images, memes, whatever) are a user interface issue; every user should have the opportunity to turn them off if they don't want them.

If we can't turn them off, we might as well just add the <BLINK> tag back into HTML. Seriously...

• Oliver Salzburg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very disappointing to see that this issue was reported long ago and that these were *even larger* before we started evaluating this product. These get annoying very quickly.

• ms commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Reducing by 50% is not partially done - they're still way too huge and take up way too much space! What do you guys think the purpose of emoticons is, exactly? Please look at how virtually all other chat programs handle emoticons and just copy them! It's not hard, but all this does is illustrate that the Microsoft Teams team clearly has no idea how to use chat!

• Ward commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello - Any word on disabling emojis yet? I see we can disable Gifs and all of that.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base