How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Add option to make emoticons smaller or be turned off

Would like the ability to turn off all emoticons. Every chat application I've ever used (Skype, Lync, Slack, Hipchat) allow this option. Or/and make the emoticons smaller.

It would also be nice to have the option to minimize an emoji or resize an emoji within the chat feed once a user has posted it. Currently ‘edit’ or ‘delete’ is available per message, possiblly if ‘minimize’ or ‘collapse’ option would make this possible? This would enable the viewer of the feed to create their own visual experience/not have to look at emoji if they don’t want to.

290 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

40 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Adam CameronAdam Cameron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I note this is flagged as "working on it". Any update on an ETA?

Some people clearly think there is a place in business communication for these things, and whilst I disagee, I guess fair enough to support them given the infantilisation of the zeitgeist.

I'm not sure they should be the default behaviour though, and certainly *when I type something*, what I typed is what I expect to be transmitted. I do not expect Teams to second guess that when I type an emoticon that what I actually meant was an animated emoji. They are two different things and should not be conflated.

Equally the size of the things is ridiculous, as others have stated.

Cheers for working on this.

• Bob MillardBob Millard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Emojis are VERY large which was obviously expressed before but it would be nice if the animation wasn't a continuous loop as well. Thanks!

• BjornBjorn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This can't come soon enough! The animations are very distracting.

• Vicki TomichVicki Tomich commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeeessss, those stickers are way too big! Resizing would be great as there's no reason for them to take up so much real estate on the screen.

• Jay FJay F commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If we must have this option, can we make it so the command can only be activated by inputting a string of emojis?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

WHY???? "Professional" is a synonym for "we do not understand fun and joy". Most chat users enjoy emojis, they're a bit of light-hearted fun, and should remain in place. Allowing teams to add custom emojis is also a good thing.

• Accuraty / JeremyAccuraty / Jeremy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In general the chat experience needs a COMPACT mode. Off, leave it tween-friendly like it is now. On; tighten up everything. Make it lean, mean, compact, and business-worthy!! And yes, there should be options for the team admin - and separately the channel owners - to set/limit the emoticraps to small, medium, and (productivity-destroying) large (like they are now).

My apologies if I let slip a few 'attitude' points here. But seriously, this is a business product.

• SamCPPSamCPP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm not sure how large emoji was ever considered a good idea in any chat application. It's really an eye-sore. Please MSFT add an option for normal size emoji.

Not being able to remove the emojis may be a deal breaker for us. We maintain a call center environment and we've seen these dominate the entire team channel. Surprising that the option isn't there to disable this.

• notsunaminotsunami commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What a waste of space in something that is supposed to be professional communication.

• Bobby BraceBobby Brace commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed. The current implementation of emojis is just very poor. Teams should be using the standard library in an appropriate size.

• RikRik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah, the massive emoticons are very unprofessional. Having an option to have them the same size as the text would be nice

• Emi NakayamaEmi Nakayama commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Emoji is not essential for communication, but we use Emoji to speed up some communication in Slack. For example, asking teams to choose thumbs up/down emoji for quick voting, providing quick reaction to funny but unimportant comments. emoji in MS team is too big for quick reaction. We don't have to react with emoji each time, but it is one of factors that bring our team closer.

I agree. Animation is annoying and not necessary. Would like a setting to toggle animation on of off.

• Andrew ​Andrew ​ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Emoji are no more significant in meaning any any other part of the message, so don't make them stand out. They should be only as prominent as their surrounding text.

• Scott TealScott Teal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Skype for Business has an option to disable them. I certainly hope that makes an appearance here too.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base