I really like Teams. I do. But the current chat layout is not suited for professional chats. It's way to space consuming. It looks like something imported from MSN with smiley's that take half of the screen. I would say that Slack have nailed it because they focused on the ability keeping a tight window with lots of chat text visible. In Teams the window is full and starts scrolling after like 10 sentences.
We’re currently working on defining a compact mode experience. I will post more details when we have more to share.
Marc Andrieux commented
Derek Allen commented
Would be nice if Teams could have a thread breakout into a right pane leaving the main conversation in tact. This reduces scroll and increases usability of the conversation experience. This is a similar feature that Slack does better than Teams.
Man Hoang commented
Our team is still using Slack for messaging and Teams only for meetings mainly because of the overcomplicated UI. Here are some ideas to simplify the UI
- Allow users to get rid of the "Welcome to the team!" section
- Use less borders and background
- Hide the Reply button, only show it on tap/hover
- Get rid of "This message has been deleted"
Thing is, it's been the biggest user gripe for almost 3 years. I do like Teams better than SFB, but there were elements to SFB that made it top rated app for this purpose.
Something about baby & bathwater springs to mind.
I look forward to this omission being addressed as it is impairing our org's ability to roll it out.
This is the most important feature needed. The UI is so clunky that my teammates don't use the app because they understand imessage and telegram. I think in-stream threading should continue to be a focus, but the current UI is too extreme for new users. Let the admin choose which channels are compact, Or let users decide which messages should be have prominent reply buttons.
Just make it look like Skype for Business. That was usable, and I could park it at the side of my monitor without it getting in the way of everything.
With all the developers Microsoft has why is this taking so long. Teams is basically unusable without a compact mode and the removal of having threads on by default. 5 messages take the same space as 30 in Slack. It's completely ridiculous.
Imre: You can try this: https://userstyles.org/styles/165569/slack-teams
Imre Burian commented
I would prefer something like Slack in terms of look and feel. (sidenote: we have been migrating from Slack to MS Teams)
without this feature its almost unusable
This feature has been in the works for several years now? We migrated to Teams this month but I think we're be forced to use Slack as our unofficial channel of communication. Please hurry up and give us that toggle already, otherwise we can't possibly use this in any meaningful way.
There was a related request to re-consider the UI around the repeating, space-consuming "Reply" area for every single message on a view. This was declined. It is arguably one of _the_ most clunky and space consuming problems with the Teams IM (vs. the Slack app with which it's trying to compete). Moving to Slack-like hover options would be one quick UI improvement. Then just lose a lot of the margins and borders.
Sean Ellis commented
Just popped back to see what was happening. Interesting story arc.
On Feb 8, 2017, Suphatra said that MS were already working on it, and we should sign up for usability testing.
On Sept 22, 2017, Warren said "We spent months testing designs with users, reiterating concepts, and reading through your feedback, to make sure we could meet as many of your common needs as we could."
On July 3 this year, Alex is now saying that they are "working on defining" the compact mode.
It looks like time is running backwards.
Totally Agree ! I am moving from slack and G suit. The experience is much more fluid and compact on G suit and Slack, with less friction.
The whole integration of microsoft office 365 suit just half baked and inconsistent. Never had such a steep learning curve, and mutiple that by my 100 employee, i am really second guessing my decision to make that switch in coming month.
1. If i want to download a file on Slack i click on it and it start downloading automatically.
On Microsoft i have to click on that 3 dots, scroll down the hidden menu and click download. ( When you can have a download button beside the file that show up when you hover over it like slack did.
2. Sharing file - I can drag the file into the whole chat box on slack, in team i have to aim that little text box, wait for it to upload finish if not i cant text anymore. if it is a big file i have to wait a few min to start texting again. On slack it just Work, the file will keep uploading in the back ground and i can still continue texting.
3. File uploading is inconsistent, in chat i have to aim at the chat box, in file and sharepoint tab i can drag drop.
4. Lack of Permission control when uploading to share point tab from Team.
This is important, Since everyone in my company use microsoft team to share file.
Currently what ever that is uploading to sharepoint to team are viewable and editable to all people both internal and external. Now i have to click open share point in team and upload my file there and set permission, is really not FLUID.
My team had spend so much time trying to figure out how these whole suite work together and realise the file permission are broken.
We have to juggle different type of file sharing and remembering the way you share your file will result in different outcome.
For File tab it is sharable and viewable for everyone.
For the team integrated share-point file tab, all the file uploaded through team is viewable and editable for everyone.
If we want to control permission we have to click on that open in share point and go upload the file there, and set permission. or log into our one drive and upload the file there and set permission.
Please fix this broken implementation and implement better permission control for, Team File, Team Share point Tab, Share point and One drive.
if Microsoft Team was to be the single connection point for people, as of now my whole team is confused as hell.
Currently, i have to police my team and policy them on that. Still the company sensitive information flown around in team at ease no matter they have permission or not, or is a guest. This is a huge security flaw for us.
4. And what is the point of Hide and Show Channel on Microsoft Team?
5. Team meeting only show Monthly agenda, when i have meeting booked months in advance. I have to go open my outlook or calendar to go check that, and jump back into team, this is really inconsistent and fluid just in Microsoft own app.
6. also with the new slack update, team just feel slow and Clunky.
7. Office 365 is probably the most inconsistent suit of software i have ever use. With the whole friction between team and share point and one drive it just brought it to whole new level. Is totally different from the seamless vision always shown in Microsoft mechanic, having to dig through menu and check up on what different button mean and do. The core of the product are good but the ingeration across are inconsistent and not fluid.
Please bring in all the UI and Ux and Product designer and management team together and make it into a Fluid product. and More consistent file permission control, that my most important feature.
Andy Frahm commented
Let me know when you have compact mode ready to test, please!
nope nope commented