How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Please create a professional compact chat layout!

I really like Teams. I do. But the current chat layout is not suited for professional chats. It's way to space consuming. It looks like something imported from MSN with smiley's that take half of the screen. I would say that Slack have nailed it because they focused on the ability keeping a tight window with lots of chat text visible. In Teams the window is full and starts scrolling after like 10 sentences.

5,990 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Thomas Nimstad shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

697 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Sean Ellis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just noticed my previous post got caught by the naughty words filter. There were no naughty words, just an overzealous filter noticing two innocuous words close together.

To clarify, the first sentence should have started "Just to remind the team who are working hard" and continued "on this, ..."

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With today's announcement that new Office 365 users will not be on-boarded to Skype for Business from 1st October, it is becoming even more critical that we have a client that can do everything that SfB Does.

Having a compact chat window is a key one - but really the ability to be able to collaborate with Federated external contacts seems to be missing - unless you add them in as a "guest" and then you can message them. Seems a big gap.

Just to remind the team who are working ******* this, this should be a separate mode. A compromise will not work - it will not be compact enough for serious users and too sparse for casual users.

The mode must be as minimal as possible.

If possible, split it out into separate options so people can customize their UI.

- Turn speech bubbles on/off
        - Turn left/right alternation on/off
        - Turn avatar pictures on/off
        - Turn timestamps on/off
        - Turn single threaded conversations on/off
        - Hide command bar (move title back to title bar, move command bar to menu)
        - Choose font
        - Choose colors
        - Allow multi-window - sub-windows have no sidebar

Compact mode would be a short way to say "All of these off, please."

• Vincent Saporito commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adding on to this to show the importance. Something similar to Google and a "compact" mode where the view can be changed depending on preference. Please bridge this into the mobile app as a conversation on mobile can fit like 5 lines.

Another Idea to go along with this is to have the general channel on the team, just be a rolling chat, instead of a threaded chat. or allow the ability when creating a new channel to make it a threaded channel or a rolling chat channel.

You should also be able to collapse, unpin or hide the white section / menu option section (that displays Team Names, Recent Chats, etc.). It takes up so much space!

Just. Be. Slack. You don't need to innovate here. Copy the success story that already exists.

• MrMan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@rosson

The reason given for the repeating reply (among a few) if I remember correctly is in part due to the way they implement threads aka converstations. Since its all in line if they put the replay button on the top and your reading a conversation that is expanded and long you would have to scroll all the way to the top to reply. then of course there are some not savvy users that actually wanted it bigger!. I dont agree with any of those reasons myself I would wonder why chose, have a compact view toggle. Why force one way or the other, everyone wins.

Of course this is a button placement problem for ALL the buttons they have on top right so that alone one can call shenanigans on them for that being the reason. The simple answer to this one would imagine is have on top and float then in the last message posted on converstation, taking up no extra space. that way collapsed/expanded does not matter as when its collapsed you get only the one on the start of the thread, when expanded you ********* the last post.

Google business chat does the same things as teams interestingly enough, but it takes up even more room...

Now slack on the other hand is equally nuts but in a different way. The entire conversation is in 1 channel and with lots of people talking can get very noisy. MS Teams thinks they solved this with converstation (but they didn't). To address the noise that a large chunk of users complained about they created threads. When one talks on a thread it get moved to the a section on the right which is nice but you have no way of increasing that right content space. Its hard coded. So you have this large nice 30" monitors and your only allowed 1/8th of it when in a thread. What is that.... when asked I believe it was sent to /dev/null and explanation would be the equivalent of your holding it wrong. Also if you want to come back to a thread good luck after about 10 minutes, its very hard to find and has lost its context. So then people end up repeating themselves in the channel or copying in links to the thread or starting a thread again, wash rinse repeat.

There are plenty of reasons/features MS Teams is worlds better than slack IMHO. However, I think its fair at this point to say the primary reason most people (in this thread at least) seem want to use MS teams for communicating with one another efficiently and effectivity is not one of them.

• Drew Hammond commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't even know why I bother to check this thread anymore. Warren, you and your team should be embarrassed. We're planning to migrate 600 accounts across our six O365 tenants to G Suite and Slack next month

• Rosson Long commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yo, so that giant reply bar that takes up more than half my screen when my team is talking to each other in their channels. Can we make that a tiny button on the right with the more options, save, and like? This really doesn't need to be so huge. For a full screen of messages it literally takes up half of my screen space.

I notice that @Warren just yesterday declined the "Screen Space" request (https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/18613144-screen-space), which is fairly similar to this one, and pointed people from that thread to here.

Welcome to all the people from that thread. Please vote for this idea too, so that we can get it to the #2 overall position, and hopefully get some (any) movement from Microsoft in this direction.

So far, we've had 18 months of inactivity and not a single pixel of screen real estate saved.

Considering the huge impact this feature will have on MS Teams and the happiness of its users, makes it hard to understand the communication strategy for this feature.

You are not Apple, no need to play hide-and-seek with the information you have.
        Instead you should be sharing what you have as soon as possible, so that the product can be improved as soon as possible.

a compact chat does not contain bubbles. bubbles and compact are opposites.
        bubbles contain no information that is not already somewhere else but take up space.

• Carlos A. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

one thing to add to the compact is to combine multiple messages into one bubble when messages are sent within seconds of each other. That would cut a lot of space as well. google hangouts does this fairly nicely.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 34 35

Feedback and Knowledge Base