How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Please create a professional compact chat layout!

I really like Teams. I do. But the current chat layout is not suited for professional chats. It's way to space consuming. It looks like something imported from MSN with smiley's that take half of the screen. I would say that Slack have nailed it because they focused on the ability keeping a tight window with lots of chat text visible. In Teams the window is full and starts scrolling after like 10 sentences.

4,171 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Thomas Nimstad shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

567 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

what about the ability to have each conversations in a different pop out window like in skype? Also, I would like to have the option that when I get a chat that specific chat window would actually open when it's minimized.

Non-threaded compact view is definitely a requirement. The main gripe of new users is the layout and I can't disagree with them. We're starting to gain traction with Teams, but I see this being the number 1 issue. I would like to see a Slack-type interface with 20+ messages in the window and sorted chronologically.

• RayO commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Remove all the help (invite, howto, etc) clutter with the big images in the top and no way to remove it. Waste of space!

• MrMan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

1 year to get collapsing text. i just wonder if anything really being done. In 10 years time we might have something compact. Sorry to be sarcastic but it might help to know what "There are more changes in the works to bring you a true professional compact layout." means and the timeline of any change whatsoever.

• Tycho commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just having the option of getting rid of the "boxes" around each chat would be great. They're reducing the information density for no good reason. And the "Reply" buttons could be visible only on hover, like on Slack.

It would be good to be able to pop-out the chat window from the main application and join it back in if needed. Not sure how this fits into the longer term plan of merging Skype for Business with Teams, but having the ability to have a smaller window would be a good win!

• Bob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The most recent update compacts the messages and the mobile version does not let me see the full message. This has already led to some serious miscommunications with or team, including missing a death notice!

The chat also needs to be separate from the rest of the teams application. I need to be able to view and collaboratively edit a document while communicating with my colleagues. Loading times are far too slow for switching between the two

• John O'Halloran commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Part of making this a more professional targeted interface is allowing the end user to customize the look they have.
        Provide controls if the avatar/picture is visible. This feature can be a waste of space.
        The chat layout is fixed. Should be able to change margins and spacing between posts.
        The restrictions on theme colors makes it look beta.
        The main problem with the UI of Teams is it is designed to be used on a mobile device so options are quite limited.

Also why are there still huge gutters to left and right of a conversation. Is that not "density" related? If word wrap worked, it cuts down the number of lines on larger or wide screen format.

Why not just put the reply button to the left (so no one has to scroll and thus still completely obvious) of the last line in a conversation. It can be huge there if need be. Just please make it compact (in "compact" view"), no need to have 1 view fits all.

• Michal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Played a bit with css, padding and margins for message-list-common , conversation-reply , message-body-container , changed top and bottom paddings and margins to 0 or very close to 0, and voila, much better and more compact view.
        If only I could easily move the reply button, it would be perfect.
        It is just simple css and html, please modify them, add a compact mode if some users still need so much whitespace, and then let's close and forget about this ticket.

• Michal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As Jim commented, please remove or highly reduce vertical whitespaces - between threads, and messages in threads (at least between messages from the same person). Also move the reply button the side, it is just a short text with a lot of space. Right now I have just a lot of whitespace on the right, a good place for the reply button I would say.

• Jim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I downloaded and installed the latest Teams version this morning (3/28). Could not tell a difference although it is possible it compressed slightly.

Please remove (or provide a setting that removes) all whitespace -- emphasis on "all". As part of that white space removal, please move the Reply button up to the Name line. Reply is effectively white space because it adds no information. Currently there is white space between every message -- a single pixel line is sufficient for a separator. White space makes the information less dense which slows reading. And white space is an effective full stop that further slows reading. I believe that removing whitespace was the intent of the original request of "create a professional compact chat layout"

• Sean Ellis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Anonymous - the ability to 'roll up' Conversations was introduced in the last update.

The very first thing done here should be the ability to 'roll up' Conversations so there is view with just the Conversation titles showing, with some indication of unread replies.

If this is a bit hard in the browser view, then implement it quickly in the desktop app.

I agree with all comments here generally. I don't think having a single view works. Seems I obvious, why is it taking a year to do this?

Have the big bubbly skype version for people that want it, but for power users allow for a "Compact" mode. That allows people to chose and it should not take a year to get rid of huge giant gutters to left and right of window and almost 50% wasted space.

• Sean Ellis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For comparison, here are the view options of various MS products:

Windows Explorer: Extra large icons, large icons, medium icons, small icons, list, details, tiles, content.
        Word: Read mode, print layout, web layout, outline, draft, zoom, multi-page (vertical, side-to-side), advanced options/customization.
        Excel: Normal, page-break preview, page layout, custom view, zoom, freeze panes, split, hide, advanced options/customization.
        Outlook: Compact, single, preview, pane layout, sort, conversations, advanced options/customization.
        Powerpoint: Normal, outline, slide sort, notes page, reading view, zoom, grayscale, advanced options/customization.

Teams: Dark or light.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 28 29

Feedback and Knowledge Base