How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Please create a professional compact chat layout!

I really like Teams. I do. But the current chat layout is not suited for professional chats. It's way to space consuming. It looks like something imported from MSN with smiley's that take half of the screen. I would say that Slack have nailed it because they focused on the ability keeping a tight window with lots of chat text visible. In Teams the window is full and starts scrolling after like 10 sentences.

6,788 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Thomas Nimstad shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

780 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Sean Ellis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To paraphrase a quote often attributed to Microsoft's founder: "640 days ought to be enough for anybody."

That's how long the Teams team has been "working on" this request now.

It's also 100 days since we were last told that nothing was happening. Is nothing still happening?

• Bart Read commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When is this going to ship? The wasted screen real estate, as compared to alternatives such as slack, is a real bug bear for our development teams.

• Jeff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't want to be a negative-nancy, but as an organization that was an early adopter of Teams, we're continually bummed this has been a top-voted issue that's relatively unresolved for TWO YEARS.

The most common frustration noted by our users is the lack of pop-out chat. Remote employees may literally spend hours a day in screen-sharing style meetings.

It is absurd that you have to minimize the screen-share to a thumbnail to send someone an instant message. The ability to pop-out either the screen-sharing window -or- the chat window seems so reasonable.

Plus Skype 4 Biz, Slack, GotoMeeting, Zoom Meeting (need I go on?) have all done this for years! I don't understand why this continues to be ignored.

• Mason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is currently the biggest deal breaker in using teams. Chat shouldn't take 80%+ of the screen!!!!

• Matti Virkkunen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How can it possibly take *two years* to get rid of a few extra elements and padding? This product is a joke...

• John Brown commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Tried moving my team from Slack to Teams and there was a revolt. Mobile is unusable because of this issue. Has been under review or working on it for 18 months. Is anyone actually working on it? Were back on slack now.

• Matt Guadagnolo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The lack of this being resolved is the only reason why im not using this product and not fist-pump recommending it to everybody i know.

Despite this being the #1 requested UI feature, and it being in "working on it" state, it is now 3 months since we were last told there was no progress, and 8 months since any evidence of any kind of development at all. (Even if it was pretty much the exact opposite of what people actually asked for.)

By way of contrast, Peter Skillman, chief designer of Skype, has shared on Twitter that they have design reviewed a "more compact mode" - https://twitter.com/peterskillman/status/1058782467824349184

I'm mentioning this as a good example of Microsoft being responsive and sharing progress.

• Paul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would it not be possible to just abandon this software and consider it a bad day (years more like) at the (Microsoft) office? We all make mistakes in UI and so on. Call it a day, let's just use Slack. The world probably doesn't need another client of this nature. It's interesting how bad something can become. Sometimes you just need to step back, take a look what you produced and realize it was a bad idea to begin with. I downloaded the desktop client (85 megs!!! Please.. tell me a chat app can't be larger than an early operating system?!?)

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We're being forced to use Teams as HipChat is coming to end-of-life. However, if our users can't get on with Teams due to the messy UI, then I'll be recommending we look elsewhere.

@Warren - any further updates on improvement ETA?

@Emmanuel
        Indeed. Proper support for compact mode can only come from within the Teams developer team, because of issues like this.

• Emmanuel Preveraud commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I could not no anything yet for the emojis, because I discovered that each emoji has its own css class (like class="animated-emoticon-20-smile"), but they don't have a global common class to write an easy css rule ! I would need to add an individual rule for hundreds of different emoji classes...

@Mike, @Emmanuel

Nice work. Given full control over the CSS, it would be nice to be able to have options to switch individual elements:

- Bubbles
        - Margins/indentation
        - Left/right alternation in chat
        - User avatars
        - "Like", "Save", other message options on right-click
        - Timestamps
        - Emojis (large/small/off, animations on/off)
        - Link previews
        - "Reply" button (when off, bottom message area becomes "reply" by default)
        - Message/reply colors

A "fully compact" mode would have all of these set to "off" or "minimum size"

• Franz Berliner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have been waiting a year to replace hipchat because we decided to wait and see if MS would fix the Teams UI. But we grew tired of waiting and switched to Slack yesterday. Good luck to all the people in this thread :-)

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

99% of my chats I do not need to look at ever again. Please allow option to clear the conversation screen (1) immediately on a button push and (2) time limit (e.g., 12 hours) with override to keep.

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Nice work @Emmanuel! I copied and modified your CSS and left what I hope were appropriate attributions to your work.

I condensed things a bit more, added avatars back in but shrank them a bit, and made the "Reply" spam only show up on hoverover... or, uh, sometimes you have to click the message you want to reply to :D

That last part is a bit buggy, but it all seems to work:
        https://userstyles.org/styles/165569/slack-teams

← Previous 1 3 4 5 38 39

Feedback and Knowledge Base