How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Please create a professional compact chat layout!

I really like Teams. I do. But the current chat layout is not suited for professional chats. It's way to space consuming. It looks like something imported from MSN with smiley's that take half of the screen. I would say that Slack have nailed it because they focused on the ability keeping a tight window with lots of chat text visible. In Teams the window is full and starts scrolling after like 10 sentences.

5,018 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Thomas Nimstad shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

630 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Sean Ellis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have now reached the (totally arbitrary but nonetheless satisfying) milestone of 5000 votes for this idea.

• Alan Amado commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As far as the desktop or web versions go, I agree with the poster that said "chat isn't a full-screen activity" in a work environment. The mobile version could use slimming down too.

• Ryan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any chance this feature is being worked on? I find the teams UI to be incredibly unreadable because of the sprawling layout. I'm actually thinking about getting a new job because my company just switched to Teams.

And the July update comes around, with no visible change. So, to save Warren the trouble, "This feature request is still in the works. No additional details are available at this time."

On the other hand, MS has committed to making both the Teams and Skype-for-Business UIs as compact as the consumer Skype UI on 1 September!

Unfortunately, this is by the simple expedient of forcing everyone who is still using Skype Classic to "upgrade" to Skype 8.x, which looks a lot like Teams and has many of the same UI problems.

• Robert Ireson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Its a rather simple concept but would fix the horrible text issues, if the same person writes multiple messages with no interruptions in a small space of time, combine them into one bubble.

Splitting up every message into a new bubble takes up far too much room and from my memory this is the only application which does it... there is a reason none of your rivals do it.

Also the "reply" button shouldn't be under the bubble but to the side as it adds an additional line to every bubble

Good news, everyone. This idea just overtook the "Full planner" thread and is now one of the top 3 most-requested features.

This can only be good for gaining attention at Microsoft.

Warren - it's almost time for the July update, any progress?

• A. R. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

MS Teams has the makings of a great professional chat and collaboration and productivity tool. BUT, its practically useless in professional environments where screen real-estate is restricted. Chat isn't a full-screen activity, its always something most users want off to the side whilst they WORK! ;) The sprawling layout is a real issue and speaking on behalf of my own firm has caused what would have been an easy decision become difficult to way up the pros/cons of MS Teams vs Slack which is expensive, but importantly meets our requirements. My advices would be for the team to descope the next release and focus on just this - the value of this one change alone would be huge and likely win you more market share than any other feature since the core feature of chat is basically not usable for anything other than personal chat in a more relaxed setup were screen real-estate consumption maybe isn't as big a deal. Really looking forward to compact view and any additional L&F customizations that you have in the oven. Keep us all posted!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adding my voice to others: this must be done soon.
        I'm pulling together 5 companies who are using a variety of ShareP, G Suite etc - good agreement to use MS FO with Teams. This interface issue is a major stopper to rolling out O365

• [Deleted User] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This can't be that hard, surely. Just look at Slack and do as they do? How does that take a year and a half?

• J Copeland commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need a bit of movement here MS team! Any update as to where this request is actually sitting in the queue?

• Luke Anderson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To answer your question, density is more important than compact mode to me. I want to see as many lines of chat text as possible in the chat window, the various icons and extra space and newlines between text entries gobbles up space

• Derek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+100,000 to this request, our business needs appropriate software. Teams is currently a fat tool that is a step backwards for IM.

MS Teams has a cartoonish and child-like UI. Make the UI compact and increase the information density. Assume that users will have MS Teams open along side other windows, such as Excel or Visual Studio, at the same time. If you want to keep the existing UI, then allow the creation of new "skins".

• Brendon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm trying to get everyone to use Teams since it's included with our Office365, but they prefer Slack. If there's one thing I want Microsoft to fix, it's this.

I wonder if this a spiritual sort of thing at Microsoft, with their love for wasted screen real estate and white space all over the place. The 365 admin interfaces are also getting nearly unusable from that, but Teams is probably the worst offender.

Seriously Microsoft, whoever came with your whitespace use philosophy needs to not be in charge of interfaces, lets move on, we have 4k displays not 640x480 and we would like to be able to use these screens to show information, not light up the office with he background LEDs.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 31 32

Feedback and Knowledge Base