How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Please create a professional compact chat layout!

I really like Teams. I do. But the current chat layout is not suited for professional chats. It's way to space consuming. It looks like something imported from MSN with smiley's that take half of the screen. I would say that Slack have nailed it because they focused on the ability keeping a tight window with lots of chat text visible. In Teams the window is full and starts scrolling after like 10 sentences.

1,974 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Thomas NimstadThomas Nimstad shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

172 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Sean EllisSean Ellis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any official update on progress on this feature? It doesn't seem too difficult - a few parameter changes to the chat layout engine should be enough to make the chat a lot more usable, at least.

• Sean EllisSean Ellis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely - this is my top request.

(This view option also needs to be available for Skype for Business and consumer Skype, although user opinion on this feature has been studiously ignored for both those products.)

• PascalPascal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

110% agree. I'm not 5 years old. Make it slick. We need to follow big conversations. THanks

• Cuong TranCuong Tran commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is by far the biggest complain we have. Our company is looking to standardize on either Slack or Teams so I hope this is addressed quickly.

• MikeMike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Echoing this comment. There is too much screen real estate being taken up by fancy graphics and space padding when I want a compact, functional window that will share screen space nicely with my many other windows.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The first thing I noticed when Teams was foisted upon me was that the chat layout is inexcusably wasteful of space. The actual text I need to read is dwarfed by icons, reply panels and gobs of just empty space. Do you even use your own product?

I can't register my true feelings here because it would be unprofessional. So suffice it to say that I calmly request a +1 to roll out a UI that is conducive to actually using the product.

• DarylDaryl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why is Reply a giant panel when it could be a small icon next to Save and Like on a mouseover?
        Why is everything aligned to the middle when you could left-align and have useful information on the right? (Having to check who's in a channel to make sure I'm talking to the right people is not something I want hidden behind several clicks)
        Why do you need all the buttons below the typing area on the desktop version (be honest - has anyone ever clicked clicked send?). These could all be an expandable pop-up akin to slack, saving you further vertical space.

• Dallas de MarrDallas de Marr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just be Slack. This being in the "Working on it" phase for two weeks already is worrying me. We are blatantly asking you to copy the things that already work. Please don't try to invent a square wheel. Your current attempts of "square", "star-shaped", and "bare-axle" haven't borne fruit. Just go with the round wheel and slap some MS-colored paint on it. It doesn't have to be difficult.

• Sergio VarandaSergio Varanda commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Skype has 3 settings for the Sidebar: Compact, regular, Detailed. It would be great if you could add a compact sidebar as on skype since as you can see in the attachment I can fit 3 times more chats and contacts than on Teams side bar. for the same window size i can have more than 30 chats visible on the favorites list while on Teams i can see a list of 11.

• Accuraty / JeremyAccuraty / Jeremy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And this has been a known issue and established as a much needed/wanted feature FOR MONTHS!!! Seriously, we want to see some progress. We want it now.

• ChrisChris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

and it's a business app - memes/videos and GIANT moving emojis - seriously?

• ChrisChris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

please make this stupid thing smaller.... This is insane - it's a secondary tool - not something I want taking up 1/2 of one of my screens!

Wow, there was a UI change and it somehow got worse.... Seriously how hard is it to do what people want and copy every other chat app? Discord, Slack, HipChat, RocketChat. They all have basically the same layout and they are the top chat platforms. Instead you guys try to do your own thing and your users hate it and we keep asking for the same thing so you keep doing different things. The people in charge really shouldn't be in charge.

• SigitaSigita commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can anything be done about own message alignment to the right in private chats too? It doesn't look ok on big screens (while it may work on mobile devices, it's really not great to read conversation with massive space in the middle). I would give up on all the memes/animated smileys to have a compact chat version which is aligned to the left any day.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 8 9

Feedback and Knowledge Base