How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Please create a professional compact chat layout!

I really like Teams. I do. But the current chat layout is not suited for professional chats. It's way to space consuming. It looks like something imported from MSN with smiley's that take half of the screen. I would say that Slack have nailed it because they focused on the ability keeping a tight window with lots of chat text visible. In Teams the window is full and starts scrolling after like 10 sentences.

2,873 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Thomas Nimstad shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    working on it  ·  AdminGino Buzzelli (Program Manager, Microsoft Teams) responded  · 

Hi everyone,

I’m Gino and I’m the Product Manager that’s been hard at work to bring you a more compact chat design. First, I really want to thank you for your patience while we worked on this request. We spent months testing designs with users, reiterating concepts, and reading through your feedback, to make sure we could meet as many of your common needs as we could.

Secondly, I’m really happy to announce the changes that will be rolling out soon. We’ve made product-wide improvements to the UI that give you greater overall density. Here are some things you’ll see:
    - Left rail more condensed vertically
    - Gutters reduced
    - Line heights reduced
    - Emojis will be smaller
    - Links for inline attachments

Please note that these changes will first ship on desktop, then later mobile. I’ll keep checking this forum to read your feedback as you experience the new design. We really value your thoughts and ideas. Thank you for supporting Teams!

Sincerely,
    Gino

281 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any idea when we can expect this professional compact layout...? Its what is currently keeping us from switchen to Teams.

• Kevin Kolk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

These UI issues are why my team is recommending we go ahead with a Slack implementation. At this point any change is now going to be too late for our implementation.

• Rob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can only imagine the internal politics with the UX teams are about this change. Office 365 is full of big icons and Teams is part of the product. This request is at odds with the overall look and feel of O365.

I wouldn't mind seeing an overall more dense layout of O365. Please get the Teams change done soon.

• Kyle Nichols commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seriously, how this has not been fixed yet is beyond me. Get it together Microsoft and update the layout, how hard can this really be?

How is this still not done? it has been pretty much the first complaint I heard when Teams came out and it still looks someone just loves white space and hates content. When are we to expect this "improved" experience?

• Tuomas Pakkanen (Sulava Oy) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please make it an option to have more dense chat layout and more importantly, that you can pop-out channels as it's own window (or to have several channels side-by-side, even from different Teams).

Our employees can't stand the layout anymore. We are switching our 300+ person company to back to Slack because it's apparently too difficult for Microsoft to get anything done.

• MrMan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I wonder if anyone is actually reading these comments. This has to be a forum just to make users feel better about being able to send feedback. MS then has a cortona robot make random post updates. Not too much information, but just enough to allow for it to be pushed 1-2 more months providing users just enough information to think ah might as well stay on teams...its coming. only later to find out, nope, 2 more months (if lucky) but most of time absolute silence. At the very least it feels that way even thought its not fact. It would be just as effective as it currently seems to be.

Now that Stride is rolling out, my teams and I'm assuming others will be moving on if this is not addressed in the very near future, definitely by end of year

• Julie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Will you bloody fix it. It doesn't need to be right the first time. Do it in increments: remove all the unused space. Remove the 1 "reply" button per message. Then look at the next peeves.

• Ulf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this is going on for nearly a year, studies, focus groups etc. but nothing has transpired yet. Really?

When can we expect some movement on this. It has been on your radar since March. Soon needs to be turned into a date. Please give the people what they want or we will be stuck using Slack forever.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 13 14

Feedback and Knowledge Base