How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Please create a professional compact chat layout!

I really like Teams. I do. But the current chat layout is not suited for professional chats. It's way to space consuming. It looks like something imported from MSN with smiley's that take half of the screen. I would say that Slack have nailed it because they focused on the ability keeping a tight window with lots of chat text visible. In Teams the window is full and starts scrolling after like 10 sentences.

2,368 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Thomas NimstadThomas Nimstad shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi everyone,

I’m Gino and I’m the Product Manager that’s been hard at work to bring you a more compact chat design. First, I really want to thank you for your patience while we worked on this request. We spent months testing designs with users, reiterating concepts, and reading through your feedback, to make sure we could meet as many of your common needs as we could.

Secondly, I’m really happy to announce the changes that will be rolling out soon. We’ve made product-wide improvements to the UI that give you greater overall density. Here are some things you’ll see:
    - Left rail more condensed vertically
    - Gutters reduced
    - Line heights reduced
    - Emojis will be smaller
    - Links for inline attachments

Please note that these changes will first ship on desktop, then later mobile. I’ll keep checking this forum to read your feedback as you experience the new design. We really value your thoughts and ideas. Thank you for supporting Teams!

Sincerely,
    Gino

209 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Chris ParkerChris Parker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Gino,

Are you also going to allow the left sidebar to be hidden? It doesn't need to stay open all the time.

• BuckBuck commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey Gino,

Are these issues that are applied ubiquitously to make a _slightly_ more compact UI, or to effectively allow you to size it small enough to turn the window into a chat contact list (and expand when a message needs to be communicated)?

For my particular use case, I need to minimize the screen real estate taken up by Microsoft Teams (i.e. lose 66% or more of it), so that I can have it open while working on other projects. Otherwise, it takes up so much screen real estate that it's not worth keeping open. Any chance that these changes you mention would allow for that?

• ChrisChris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Suphatra - it was 2 months ago you said we'd see changing in "coming weeks" - any idea when that will be?

• MrManMrMan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How about this, when can we can update on when _any_ update is going to be deployed to address any part of the UI. I participated in the user research, appears at face value to be a disservice to any users participating in it.

• Accuraty / JeremyAccuraty / Jeremy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have been using Teams and following this topic since April. The comments are consistent and demanding. The UI is not adequate, not professional, not useful.

The "Working on It" has been in place by ADMIN since Feb 8, 2017. What is going on? Are we using a prototype written in LightSwitch? Is your development team one kid in the Philippines?

Seriously, can we have an honest update please? Is this product being worked on at all?

• UlfUlf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No seeing any (even if only incremental) improvements. Is anything happening here or are the UI developers so into the teen style chat layout that they don't get what professional means? ;-)

• Chris DChris D commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The layout of Teams is horrible. SOOO much wasted vertical space, and this is supposed to be the improved version after an update in July???

The chats should be much more compact vertically, the reply buttons should be on the right hand side, not underneath every single message, the formatting bar should be on the right hand side of the text box instead of underneath it, the message author's name should be directly to the left of the message instead of over-top.

If this is designed to compete with Slack or Hipchat you need to take this seriously and fix it.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We moved from Slack to Teams. Adoption of slack was really strong even amoungst our less technical users. Since rolling out Teams 75% of our users have reverted to using email and Skype for Business. One of the key reasons I am given is the UI is too cluttered and you have to scroll too much to find anything. This post says you've been making changes but we don't see evidence of that. Maybe like others have said introduce an option for people rather than assuming everyone wants to see giant bubbles with lots of wasted space.

The changes seem to be so incremental that I cannot notice. Been 1 month, I see nothing. Still looks like something for kids. Incredibly disappointing.

• JoelbaJoelba commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why not provide a condensed mode as an option. Enterprises leverage a high volume of 'power users', that need to be able to find/see/interact with the text portions of the threads and chats in a faster manner. An emoji is rarely a critical business object to locate in a thread. The overpopulation ("eye candy") of the UI makes it look like it isn't ready for 'professionals'. If this is ever to unseat email collaborations, it has to provide for a clean, concise UI for information exchange. Right now, it's just a lot of visual 'noise' and clutter.. and for someone with ADHD, every change could be an attention-stealer... Unless it's provided as a configurable UI option, I can't support this as an enterprise-ready solution...

• PeterPeter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How about just adding an *option* if you're afraid that existing users will prefer the old way? I would like to do away with the "bubbles" all together, and just use the entire horizontal space available in the window for each message.

Just started using Teams and liking it for the most part, but totally agree here. There's no reason the minimum width of the chat window needs to be 1/3 of the desktop and have super wide margins.

• BenBen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have to pile on. Very disappointed with the lack of energy around actioning this. I may be in the minority but I REALLY have to force myself to use MS Teams for collaboration. I was happy and comfortable collaborating all day in Slack. The fact that my organization is well invested in Microsoft tooling and solutions makes Teams the ideal pick, but it is sorely lacking in a usable UX that makes me and my teams more productive. I would guess that a majority of people would prefer the UX of Slack vs MS Teams. This needs more than a minor change, I want to see the context of a conversation at a glance. I want to be able to see who is active in the channel, and see at a glance who are the names in the conversation and if I need to get involved. I don't want to be doing a lot of scrolling or clicking through the uber tabs like Chat and Teams in order to collaborate meaningfully. You guys have the reach and you have the platform, this tool could really be a game changer. Instead it feels like a significant step down from Slack and I think most developers who are used to a more mature collaboration tool will see it in a similar light.

• SimonSimon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How can we tell if the update has made it's way to our tenant? I had a quick look - I can't see any differences.
        Can we get a true roadmap to show how "compact" teams is ever likely to get? Then we can make decisions on adoption over other more corporate style chat tools.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 10 11

Feedback and Knowledge Base