How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Compact mode

I really like Teams. I do. But the current chat layout is not suited for professional chats. It's way to space consuming. It looks like something imported from MSN with smiley's that take half of the screen. I would say that Slack have nailed it because they focused on the ability keeping a tight window with lots of chat text visible. In Teams the window is full and starts scrolling after like 10 sentences.

7,547 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Thomas Nimstad shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    planned  ·  Suphatra responded  · 

Hi everyone, thank you for your patience since the last update.

We want to extend a huge thanks to all of you who have engaged with us on this topic of compact chat. Your input has been invaluable and helped inform our design and decision-making.

As we look to 2019, we will be pursuing plans to continue to make the product more and more space efficient. We see this as a guiding design principle, as well as a backlog of requests from UserVoice that we catalogue, discuss, debate, brainstorm and problem solve.

This principle is also why we will not be making a sharp design turn towards a permanently heavy dense design. Our user base is a wide range of people — such as high school students, the visually impaired, open source developers, and your every day knowledge worker. Because of our broad reach, we must maintain a standard of usability that meets many visual needs.

Lastly, we are seriously considering a compact mode. This would be an option — a switch, you might say — that makes everything quite dense. We are entering a new phase of product development that makes this more possible than before. To that end, I’m changing the title of this request to “Compact Mode.” We’ll keep you abreast of these plans as we learn more ourselves.

Meanwhile, we really appreciate your patience, your feedback, and your support of Teams. Thank you for being part of #MicrosoftTeams!

Sincerely,
    Suphatra

939 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Sean Ellis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

130 days since Warren's last gnomic pronouncement of no progress.
        283 days since our request for more text on screen was marked "partially complete" with an update that showed less text on screen.
        673 days since first marked as "working on it"
        732 days since submission.

• Chris Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

MSFT seriously .... . .. fire the whole team and start from scratch. Please don't forget to hire QA cause i'm tired of working for you as QA FOR FREEEE not only I PAY YOU SUBSCRIPTION. SO I PAY YOU TO WORK FOR YOU AS QA !@##%#%3

• Froggacuda commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For the love of all that is holy, COMPACT VIEW please. This single feature is preventing moving my company from Slack to Teams. Make it an OPTION that you can choose if you want to preserve all of your precious original design.

@Anonymous - "Their definition of "professional compact layout" is just completely different than ours"

Indeed, which is why I (and others) have shared screenshots of the kind of layout we want, so there can be no misunderstanding. All of us have shown something more or less similar - as much text as possible, as little white space as possible.

And the thing is that this needs to be a separate mode, not a slight compaction of the default view. This allows MS to use whatever acres of screen real estate they want in the default view, while still coping with the requests of users who want more text on the screen.

It's not even difficult!

The only conclusion I can come to now is that MS is not working on this issue at all, but they do not want to tell us that because a lot of people are delaying switching to other products based on the promise that it is coming.

I hope I am wrong, but this view is reinforced by apparent instructions to the moderators not to engage with this thread.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Sean - totally agree with You.
        But MS doesn't give a #### about user's request. Their definition of "professional compact layout" is just completely different than ours. The bigger fonts the better, the less content on a single screen the better.
        I believe that sooner we'll hear that Teams is in EndOfLife state... which would be a good thing anyway.
        Some of us are just forced to use this piece of #### application.

Happy Birthday to you,
        Happy Birthday to you,
        Happy Birthday dear Please create a professional compact chat layout!
        Happy Birthday to you!

Congratulations on 2 years as the #1 UI request and still going strong! In that time, you've had 671 days of work, been voted for 7153 times, been solved by users 4 times, spawned one of the longest threads on the forums, and had the most "This feature is coming soon but we can't show you anything" posts of any idea on the UserVoice forums!

I look forward to celebrating your third birthday next year!

(Yes, in the absence of any response from any other kind of attempted engagement with the development team, I am now resorting to poor attempts at humor. Will it work? Stay tuned for the next two years to find out!)

I have it on good authority that the moderation team has been instructed not to engage with this thread.

@Anonymous - the most annoying thing is that even if the marketing department don't want to ruin the "look and feel" of the enormous default UI, this option has zero effect on it.

It's a separate mode, created by loading a different CSS style sheet. There is zero reason not to support it.

And still no update.

It's like their touch interface teams have undue influence in blocking changes that would benefit traditional keyboard and mouse users. Why else is the insistence in keeping a UI with so much white space.

You can see this trend now having infected Outlook in the latest redesign.

Don't worry everyone, Warren will have an update in 'the coming weeks'.

So far its been 19 weeks, so shouldn't be too long...

Now 666 days "working on it" with no progress. That's got to be some sort of omen. <rimshot/>

Feedback and Knowledge Base