How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Compact mode

I really like Teams. I do. But the current chat layout is not suited for professional chats. It's way to space consuming. It looks like something imported from MSN with smiley's that take half of the screen. I would say that Slack have nailed it because they focused on the ability keeping a tight window with lots of chat text visible. In Teams the window is full and starts scrolling after like 10 sentences.

9,620 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Thomas Nimstad shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1128 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We moved from Slack to Teams. Adoption of slack was really strong even amoungst our less technical users. Since rolling out Teams 75% of our users have reverted to using email and Skype for Business. One of the key reasons I am given is the UI is too cluttered and you have to scroll too much to find anything. This post says you've been making changes but we don't see evidence of that. Maybe like others have said introduce an option for people rather than assuming everyone wants to see giant bubbles with lots of wasted space.

The changes seem to be so incremental that I cannot notice. Been 1 month, I see nothing. Still looks like something for kids. Incredibly disappointing.

• Joelba commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why not provide a condensed mode as an option. Enterprises leverage a high volume of 'power users', that need to be able to find/see/interact with the text portions of the threads and chats in a faster manner. An emoji is rarely a critical business object to locate in a thread. The overpopulation ("eye candy") of the UI makes it look like it isn't ready for 'professionals'. If this is ever to unseat email collaborations, it has to provide for a clean, concise UI for information exchange. Right now, it's just a lot of visual 'noise' and clutter.. and for someone with ADHD, every change could be an attention-stealer... Unless it's provided as a configurable UI option, I can't support this as an enterprise-ready solution...

• Peter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How about just adding an *option* if you're afraid that existing users will prefer the old way? I would like to do away with the "bubbles" all together, and just use the entire horizontal space available in the window for each message.

Just started using Teams and liking it for the most part, but totally agree here. There's no reason the minimum width of the chat window needs to be 1/3 of the desktop and have super wide margins.

• Luke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have seen this suggestion in other locations. I think its really needed. If my team had that we would most likely move away form Slack. But until its easier to read and more compact I don't think its that great of a chat program.

• Luke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also would like this improvement. Its honestly the #1 issue I have so far for Teams. If the chat was more compact and more like Slack my team would switch.

• Ben commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have to pile on. Very disappointed with the lack of energy around actioning this. I may be in the minority but I REALLY have to force myself to use MS Teams for collaboration. I was happy and comfortable collaborating all day in Slack. The fact that my organization is well invested in Microsoft tooling and solutions makes Teams the ideal pick, but it is sorely lacking in a usable UX that makes me and my teams more productive. I would guess that a majority of people would prefer the UX of Slack vs MS Teams. This needs more than a minor change, I want to see the context of a conversation at a glance. I want to be able to see who is active in the channel, and see at a glance who are the names in the conversation and if I need to get involved. I don't want to be doing a lot of scrolling or clicking through the uber tabs like Chat and Teams in order to collaborate meaningfully. You guys have the reach and you have the platform, this tool could really be a game changer. Instead it feels like a significant step down from Slack and I think most developers who are used to a more mature collaboration tool will see it in a similar light.

• Ryan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

On the left navigation, it shows my contact's name, the first line of the last communication, then a blank space. I'd like to have a setting where I can get more names to show. I only care to see the name, not the first line of last communication, and the blank space is wasted space. Similar to Communicator, Lync, and SkypeForBusiness, I'd rather see more contacts view (without having to scroll down), less wasted space.

• Simon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How can we tell if the update has made it's way to our tenant? I had a quick look - I can't see any differences.
    Can we get a true roadmap to show how "compact" teams is ever likely to get? Then we can make decisions on adoption over other more corporate style chat tools.

• los commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 here it would be nice to have a slack compact view type layout. Don't need the cute bubble looking ux need to get as much data into one screen.

• Clifton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I wholeheartedly agree with this. Even if it looked like a clone of Skype it would be way ahead of where it is.

It seems like there's a box around EVERYTHING in the UI which really clutters it up. :)

• rob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Some users may be ecstatic at a view that pops up a single chat box with just one word on each line, embraced with fireworks and dancing bears, and then disappears in 10 seconds. That would be maximally FUN, and therefore it should be the ONLY option. Meanwhile. the rest of the world who has to use it as a productivity tool instead of for entertainment can keep waiting for the option that allows us to 'fix' it. Oh wait, MS did develop it for maximal fun. So shiny! This is why I use Linux kernel.

BTW, IRC is now about 30 years old and is still incredibly functional compared to this shiny stuff. Feel free to mark this as inappropriate (even though it is spot-on topic).

• rob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What could work would be keeping the normal, bloated, unproductive, teenage-girl, emoticon, layout (if you must) with the OPTION to go as compact as possible, where a single screen view could print 50-100 lines of chat text.

RECAP: a default that works for noobs, and an option that works for people that actually need to work with it as a tool.

I, for one, am very disappointed that our company's IT team has forced this on us as our only sanctioned collaboration tool. It's currently a huge step backwards in our ability to be productive.

• dmw commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Do these changes apply only to the desktop apps or to the web view as well?

Right now a single post , takes 3 big lines to display (name/time, post, reply icon)
    these could be collapsed to a single line and save screen real estate (and improve UX)

• Buck commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am trying to convince my organization to move to MS Teams, but without a layout that takes up as little space as Skype's person-list does, it's going to be a SUPER hard sell. Most of the time, I don't need to see what is happening in chats or teams, because they're not buzzing all of the time with new information. Sometimes, I'm just working on my own projects, and need to jump over to talk to a person. At that moment, all I need is to see what people are available (and not entire personal or team conversations). Then, after I have chosen a team or person to engage with, THAT is when I need to see the previous conversation and have space to send a new message. Before that point, forcing the conversation to remain visible is just taking up space. While I'm not working in Teams, the fact that it takes up so much space is a negative - it eats up real estate I am trying to use for Design projects, for example.

This is what I understand to be a compact business layout: I essentially need it to replace Skype as a chat client, but involve the "Slack"-type functionality WHEN I NEED TO DIVE IN DEEPER into team work. What you're saying by keeping the entire window maximized is that you don't really care what the user's process is, as long as your product "looks good". This is sacrificing User Experience to hold on tightly to Visual Design, at the expense of users loving your product. And for a product that boasts productivity/efficiency, this seems counterproductive.

• Accuraty / Jeremy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still nothing here. Checked for updates and it says I am up to date. If something has been delivered as "incremental changes" - please take the time to show us before and after screenshots. As I see it, nothing reasonable has been done to address the problem.

Feedback and Knowledge Base