How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Compact mode

I really like Teams. I do. But the current chat layout is not suited for professional chats. It's way to space consuming. It looks like something imported from MSN with smiley's that take half of the screen. I would say that Slack have nailed it because they focused on the ability keeping a tight window with lots of chat text visible. In Teams the window is full and starts scrolling after like 10 sentences.

8,389 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Thomas Nimstad shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1032 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Julie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Those message balloons waste so much space -- tighten things up and make a convo fit on a page.

• bgmCoder commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Everything is too big. I wish for a trim theme - something where I can see more on the screen at once.

For example, contacts are something like 20pt size - I would have just 11pt. I dislike text bubbles in chat and wish for a minimal output with just left-aligned lines, like in irc.

Please let us customize the interface. Also, I am running Windows 7 and wish this app could adopt the system's own theme instead of forcing the metro look.

• Damon Betlow commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Fairly obvious big complaint as the first impression of the tool from our users coming from Slack. At the very least, make the the reply button smaller next to the Like and bookmark option.

• Buck commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This was already an existing issue with SfB. Context is crucial, often, and if you look away for one moment, you could miss something that is critical to the understanding of the current conversation. Maximizing efficiency (UX) here trumps "pretty UI" in that, if it's pretty but not useful to speed up my processes and make it more powerful in helping me to achieve my goals quicker, I'm going to stick with something else.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The chat coming up in "bubbles" and only being the width of the sentence makes it feel like we're working in Facebook Messenger. It would be nice if, like slack, the chat was full width (and unthreaded, but that's a different matter.) It's just bizarre to have this whole huge screen and have the chat aspect of the chat program taking up like 1/3rd of the screen to make room for a bunch of white space. What's the point?

• Julie Moorehouse commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes we need more control over our view. The giant blocks is very basecamp-like and frankly extremely annoying. My team will have a ton of content. I want to be able to look at things in a size that suits me. Similar to the way In WIndows, I can look at extra large icons, or if I prefer a details list without icons

• Mats Larsson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like the general layout of teams but I would like a button in the conversation window that maximizes screen estate for chats and strips away all unnecessary stuff.

• Marc Wenning commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I thought it was on the Friday the 24th, that was in an email I received on the 20th. Is it the 23rd or the 24th?

• Simon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Twitter? Really? Perhaps something like Slack would have been better? Nice compact layout where we could demonstrate the benefits of...

• MW commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Suphatra - I'm really wondering why Twitter is used for something Microsoft Teams could be used for?

• Brandon Lewis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed; letting the chat scroll is a far better user experience than forcing them to click a button.

• Danny commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Your handling of threads in channels are far superior to how Slack handles them, please do not go that route for the sake of space. There's a ton of other space/padding that can be addressed to allow for more content to be seen while still being clean and professional.

This + standardizing a proper sticker/emoji size would go a long way.

• Man Hoang commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The desktop version doesn't feel like a Microsoft's product. It doesn't adhere to Microsoft's design language. Also, links & inline code spans are not noticeable.

Feedback and Knowledge Base