How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Compact mode

I really like Teams. I do. But the current chat layout is not suited for professional chats. It's way to space consuming. It looks like something imported from MSN with smiley's that take half of the screen. I would say that Slack have nailed it because they focused on the ability keeping a tight window with lots of chat text visible. In Teams the window is full and starts scrolling after like 10 sentences.

9,620 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Thomas Nimstad shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1128 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Accuraty / Jeremy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please stop spending MONTHS 'getting it right' with user testing and long meetings. For God sake, we are running our businesses on this software. Implement your change with an option to undo, then see what the user base does. If 80% turn it off, go back to the drawing board. If its 50:50, then let the users choose and bake in Modern and Classic options in you Settings. Whatever you do in the future, please keep in mind that spending 6 months jacking around on a request that has over 2,000 votes and nearly DAILY pleas for help is nothing short of user-base abuse.

I find it VERY difficult to believe that one solution will work for everyone. I hope you have baked in the ability to apply the changes like themes or to at least switch between current (you could call it "Classic") and new ("Default"?) layouts. Better yet would be 3 options; Original (current, Pre-Oct 2017), Professional (probably what you are about to introduce Oct?), and Compact (really tighten it and sacrifice a bit of style for extreme efficiency).

• Chris Webb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

good to hear, been waiting patiently for this! Took the survey and liked the mockups that I saw back then.

• Josh Sullins (Michelin) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What could be absolutely outstanding, regarding inline images, is if you could alter that setting by channel as an option for Team owners.

• Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Gino, so we'll be able to make the overall window smaller?

• Chris Parker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Gino,

Are you also going to allow the left sidebar to be hidden? It doesn't need to stay open all the time.

• Buck commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey Gino,

Are these issues that are applied ubiquitously to make a _slightly_ more compact UI, or to effectively allow you to size it small enough to turn the window into a chat contact list (and expand when a message needs to be communicated)?

For my particular use case, I need to minimize the screen real estate taken up by Microsoft Teams (i.e. lose 66% or more of it), so that I can have it open while working on other projects. Otherwise, it takes up so much screen real estate that it's not worth keeping open. Any chance that these changes you mention would allow for that?

• Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Suphatra - it was 2 months ago you said we'd see changing in "coming weeks" - any idea when that will be?

• Charles Wardman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We keep looking to move to Teams from a paid Slack subscription and while marketing shots of giant emoji's and cat meme's are great the day to day means lots of text and typing. The number of lines each "line" takes up is too much and means you can lose track of rapid dialogue quickly, please make it denser.

Slack have nailed the amount of text to layout.

• Eben commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think that the interface for the chat could be more compact. I don't need individual chat bubbles for each message. Additionally I don't think the 'reply' button needs to be visible all the time inside of channels. Couldn't the reply button appear only when you hover over the message that you would like to reply to? There just seems to be a lot of wasted space inside of the chat that is not necessary. One of the things that makes something like Slack great is that its very consolidated.

• MrMan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How about this, when can we can update on when _any_ update is going to be deployed to address any part of the UI. I participated in the user research, appears at face value to be a disservice to any users participating in it.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Eliminate Wasted Space! Chats should be tighter, so you can see more of the chat on one window.

I have been using Teams and following this topic since April. The comments are consistent and demanding. The UI is not adequate, not professional, not useful.

The "Working on It" has been in place by ADMIN since Feb 8, 2017. What is going on? Are we using a prototype written in LightSwitch? Is your development team one kid in the Philippines?

Seriously, can we have an honest update please? Is this product being worked on at all?

• Ulf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No seeing any (even if only incremental) improvements. Is anything happening here or are the UI developers so into the teen style chat layout that they don't get what professional means? ;-)

• Chris D commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The layout of Teams is horrible. SOOO much wasted vertical space, and this is supposed to be the improved version after an update in July???

The chats should be much more compact vertically, the reply buttons should be on the right hand side, not underneath every single message, the formatting bar should be on the right hand side of the text box instead of underneath it, the message author's name should be directly to the left of the message instead of over-top.

If this is designed to compete with Slack or Hipchat you need to take this seriously and fix it.

Feedback and Knowledge Base