How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Compact mode

I really like Teams. I do. But the current chat layout is not suited for professional chats. It's way to space consuming. It looks like something imported from MSN with smiley's that take half of the screen. I would say that Slack have nailed it because they focused on the ability keeping a tight window with lots of chat text visible. In Teams the window is full and starts scrolling after like 10 sentences.

8,389 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Thomas Nimstad shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1032 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree the visual aspect of TEAMS is severely lacking and much of the screen is just wasted screen space. Look at Slack and improve upon it.

• Dallas de Marr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For the love of God, just be Slack. That's all we want. It doesn't matter that Slack did it first. Our jobs are forcing and hamstringing some of us into using your software when we'd rather be using Slack. Just give us the option of a layout as compact as that of Slack, and you'll hit it out of the park. Please, please, don't try to reinvent a hexagonal wheel.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there a schedule behind this feature? A bit more than a month ago a praised the agile and fast response to the demand of creating a compact and information rich chat layout. Today i just keep saying that we wait for important features over and over again.

I agree with the comments about the left column/navigation being too big and limiting the usefulness of the 'tabs'.

Please allow the ability to collapse the left column/navigation.

• John Kolstad commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Kit: I just noticed that the left column does collapse, but only if the window is resized to less than 950 pixels width :)

Been a month now since the Twitter Q&A (useless btw, you just have to look at Slack), any update?

• serge commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is a lot of wasted space in the chat view - provide a way to enable a condensed view.

- Catching up requires a lot of scrolling
        - You can view less in a single view - more scrolling

• JB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Unused real estate left and right of chat area... consider moving username and timestamp into this area to allow additional vertical space for textual content.

For one-on-one chats, please allow me the option to left align the conversation.

Consider colored username rather than wrapping chat responses in colored bubbles.

Configurability--there is no reason not to allow users to customize the look of their Teams experience. Maybe some people like big, blocky inefficient text bubbles. Allow others to eliminate margins and compact their content to maximize usage of real estate.

• Simon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Too much whitespace, font too large, names and times take up whole line. Reply doesn't need a whole line, having that as an option on the right would free up space.

• Andy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Too musg wasted space, need closer margin space and text span to entire screen and left align please

UI is alot of improvement

• Ryan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For me part of it is having private channels so i don't have to have several teams. It gets very cluttered when i see to many teams.

• Kit commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One simple way you can minimize the clunkiness is to have a collapse for the left index tab. That would bring out almost a quarter of the screen to productivity.Valuable space for those with many things to look at on their monitors.

• Luis Garcia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

YES! This is my main complaint regarding Teams. We have been using Slack for the past year or so and whenever you go fullscreen the chat text widens with the window with. Teams does not do this, instead the chat stays centered with all that wasted space on the left & right of the chat text.

• Dev commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Am I imagining it or has it been tightened up a lot already? It might not be enough, I know, but early on it was massive balloons with Reply at the bottom of each one. Now it feels like they stack a little better.

• Simon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello MS - Any updates on this - Is this definitely coming - Can we get a guestimate on ETA?

• Mendel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Suphatra - how does this Need Your Feedback work? On this specific request, I followed your instructions and provided my detail to offer my help to provide UI/UX feedback but I heard nothing from you guys... then I just saw now your msg from 3wks ago asking us for feedback on Twitter. This is so poorly organised and not actively engaging the people who care to help you make your product/service better!

Is there a clear summary of the collated feedback to at least see whether it is in line w what I'd be hoping for?

Feedback and Knowledge Base