How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Compact mode

I really like Teams. I do. But the current chat layout is not suited for professional chats. It's way to space consuming. It looks like something imported from MSN with smiley's that take half of the screen. I would say that Slack have nailed it because they focused on the ability keeping a tight window with lots of chat text visible. In Teams the window is full and starts scrolling after like 10 sentences.

7,547 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Thomas Nimstad shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    planned  ·  Suphatra responded  · 

Hi everyone, thank you for your patience since the last update.

We want to extend a huge thanks to all of you who have engaged with us on this topic of compact chat. Your input has been invaluable and helped inform our design and decision-making.

As we look to 2019, we will be pursuing plans to continue to make the product more and more space efficient. We see this as a guiding design principle, as well as a backlog of requests from UserVoice that we catalogue, discuss, debate, brainstorm and problem solve.

This principle is also why we will not be making a sharp design turn towards a permanently heavy dense design. Our user base is a wide range of people — such as high school students, the visually impaired, open source developers, and your every day knowledge worker. Because of our broad reach, we must maintain a standard of usability that meets many visual needs.

Lastly, we are seriously considering a compact mode. This would be an option — a switch, you might say — that makes everything quite dense. We are entering a new phase of product development that makes this more possible than before. To that end, I’m changing the title of this request to “Compact Mode.” We’ll keep you abreast of these plans as we learn more ourselves.

Meanwhile, we really appreciate your patience, your feedback, and your support of Teams. Thank you for being part of #MicrosoftTeams!

Sincerely,
    Suphatra

939 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • MrMan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is quite disappointing. It was all a shell game this entire time, no one doing anything?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Suphatra finally replies... to reveal to us that they pretty much have been lying to us the past 2 years. One just has to expand the admin comment to see it.

Funny how every other modern chat program in the enterprise space that people use don't have such restrictions. Time to give up on Teams and move on.

News headline December 2022: 'Compact mode arrives... and isnt what we wanted'

Omg you guys are hopeless. Two years to fix a layout. How can you expect people to use this... How is this not a priority for you, or is for us, your PAYING customers

Teams has everything we need except this and I'm considering throwing it all away just because of this single issue. Why Teams have to look like Skype and be slow and laggy like Skype. Everything that reminds me of Skype in teams makes it bad.

• Ben commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is incredibly disappointing. All we are asking for is an option to turn on "Compact mode" in the settings, the same way we can choose a light or dark theme.

I use Teams every day and find the layout, user interface and user experience to be one of the worse (of all the programs I use) . What is incredibly frustrating is that Teams has so much potential, and could be so much better. The "Teams" team really needs to take some notes from the PowerBI and most importantly the VisualStudioCode teams. VS Code has become one of the best text editors on the market. It is fast, extensible, incredibly well thought out but most importantly they listen to their users and properly engage the community and turn important features around quickly.

We are a MS shop and really like where MS is heading and some of the initiatives you guys have made in the last 3-4 years, but you have really dropped the ball with Teams.

What we are asking for is not overly complex, and that is probably one of the reasons so many people here are frustrated. If we were asking for something unreasonable or complex, I could understand, but making tweaks to the UI or adding a few different themes and layouts is *simple*. In fact you could have a thriving echo system of layouts if you allowed users to design their own.

Managers on the Teams team take note: take this issue seriously!

• Adam Svendsen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Extremely dissapointing. If we treat our customer like this we would not have any by 'end of 2019'

• Thomas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As the creator of this thread I find it extremely frustrating that nothing happens for something that's fairly simple. And last update from Suphatra says MS cannot change because layout must suite all. Also as a side note MS also renamed the thread and removed the word "Professional" from the title. Clearly professional users is not the target here, only casual users. All we 7000 thousand voters asked for is a "Compact mode" (or dense) view setting as an alternative, and you can keep you precious "Default **** view" as is it.

Really disappointed that this isn’t being taken seriously. If it was it would be done by now or you’d have a solid plan for it. Instead one of the most requested changes isn’t convenient and keeps getting bumped. You need to listen to your users here. A switch is fine. Even a slider. But do something.

This means "end of 2019", at which time we will change the status back to "On The Backlog" and then announce future announcements in 2020.

This continues to be the running joke with my team... every time a Microsoft issue comes up (every day)... we just point to this as the "state of Microsoft".

So incredibly frustrating.

• Hakokamo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Are you serious? After two years you put it back to planned? You don't even mention what happend to the couple of weeks you mentioned before.

Most will understand 'broad reach' as you mention Suphatra. That's fair and needed consideration.
        However - by leaving this issue in the tool for 2 years since it was raised, is why we cannot switch. The lack of a compact mode is a showstopper for heave users with many lines.
        It will in effect force tons of scrolling, not really an option.
        Is there still no ETA on this feature beyond "plan for 2019"?

• Chris Webb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Choice is always good where it makes sense. And UI is one of those where so many opinions happen so giving st least a few options is always a nice Thing. Thanks for the update.

• Fredrik Forséll commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hallelujah! After two years this is finally acknowledged as an issue, with some sort of plan to maybe address it in another year or so. Maybe I'll live to see it.

• Aaron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Warren, what happened to "a couple weeks"? My screen still looks like a geriatric's ThinkPad with Magnifier!

Feedback and Knowledge Base