How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Compact mode

I really like Teams. I do. But the current chat layout is not suited for professional chats. It's way to space consuming. It looks like something imported from MSN with smiley's that take half of the screen. I would say that Slack have nailed it because they focused on the ability keeping a tight window with lots of chat text visible. In Teams the window is full and starts scrolling after like 10 sentences.

9,620 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Thomas Nimstad shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1128 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It should be possible to efficiently work in other productivity tools and communicate using Teams at the same time on one screen without having to switch back and forth. Not possible at the moment and it could therefore be argued that using Teams could reduce productivity (although surely other benefits weighs up to some extent)

• Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's crazy that here we are years later and I still have to have a dedicated monitor just to use teams because I can't shrink the dang thing down....

• Rob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think it's clear at this point is that the Teams devs probably have no say in fixing this. It will be hippy at the centre of the new 'fluid' design for all products. Unfortunately for Teams Microsoft have a history of being pretty hit and miss with UI design. The Azure portal an example of just how bad some of it is.
    It's time to tell the artist at the centre of it all that they are wrong and let the Teams team fix the UI.

• Roy Tinker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

May I suggest adding a new "Chat" channel type where the view is more compact (and chat-oriented), like Slack? This would allow keeping the old format for those who want it - maybe call the existing view "Flow" or something.

Our team is switching to Teams from Slack, but I'm afraid our online text-oriented meetings will suffer in the current forum-like view. Socially, a chat-like view feels more like sitting around a table and talking, whereas Team's current layout feels more like a bulletin board.

• Michael Miller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"This principle is also why we will not be making a sharp design turn towards a permanently heavy dense design. Our user base is a wide range of people — such as high school students, the visually impaired, open source developers, and your every day knowledge worker. Because of our broad reach, we must maintain a standard of usability that meets many visual needs."

Fine...But please make it an option for those of us that do not meet those qualifications. We use Slack as well and have recently migrated to Office 365. I really want to like Teams, but its a very hard transition. I Don't think we are all asking for a Slack 1:1 copy, but that is the "default" chat experience that has been around long before slack. One chat message after another...all left aligned. "Options" is the key point here. Give US, the USER, the option. Thanks!

• Sean Ellis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well done, Jeff. You are at least the fifth person on this thread who has implemented a compact mode, showing that "mere users" such as us can achieve (over and over again) what the entire Teams team has repeatedly failed to do in over 800 days since they first announced that they were "working on it".

• Mark Thompson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My Skype for Business is badgering me to "upgrade" to Teams but it ain't going to happen until Teams has a compact view; on a laptop the current layout is unusable as it literally takes up half the screen.

• Anggiar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Don't waste your time yall. Buy Slack/Flock/Chanty. Even SoundCloud comments section feels better than Microsoft Teams chats.

• Erik Dahle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can't you just give up and purchase slack instead? It's hard to fathom that you need several YEARS to implement a feature like this.

• Randall Schad commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm sure it's been said before, but simply opening up the UI to custom skins/themes would make a lot of people more happy than simply offering a few hand-picked alternatives.

• SK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Message density needs to be fixed... At least have an option to resize the chat window to be more narrow to bring the to/from closer together, or just left-align it like a normal app would

• Sean Ellis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our team have given up on Teams and are using Slack now, but I just got a calendar reminder so I'm popping back to say: 800 days since first "working on it".

See you again for the 1000!

• Rob North commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am probably slightly dyslexic, but using teams chat is the first time in about 20 years I have actually *felt* dyslexic. And it's simply due too much white spaces and not enough message density. In summary, I cannot use teams till this is fixed.

Feedback and Knowledge Base