How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Compact mode

I really like Teams. I do. But the current chat layout is not suited for professional chats. It's way to space consuming. It looks like something imported from MSN with smiley's that take half of the screen. I would say that Slack have nailed it because they focused on the ability keeping a tight window with lots of chat text visible. In Teams the window is full and starts scrolling after like 10 sentences.

8,389 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Thomas Nimstad shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1032 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Ahmed Salam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please hurry.. improve the chat.... its really boring in Teams...

Apart from that the Notification feature.. how it is currently implemented is really troublesome.

I use Teams heavily at work, I have multiple Teams that I'm a member of... the list of long..
        When there's an update or mention I have to scroll up and down the list of Team names to see which Teams got the update... This is very inconvenient. Additionally the "Activity" icon is not doing a nice job when theres update on multiple Teams that Im a member of.
        -----
        Suggestion for UI improvement
        - Show on the "Teams" icon the number of updates I have
        - When clicked List all the team name under the label "Recently Updated" This will allow the user to focus on the Teams that has an updates. and eliminate the use of scrolling.
        - Each Team name should show the number of Updates I have on that...
        - When clicked on the Team name it can show all the updates I have

• Anggiar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Submitted the survey. Things looking pretty good regarding to the Team/Channel layout, but there is still nothing about the Chat pane itself!

I seconded Kris motion (below me), mimicking Slack is enough for now. It will not be a creative decision, but it WILL give Teams a Fighting chance, if what we have now is what All Ms. Team can offer, it will be dead soon, it will be not a better alternative for Mail.

FIX. THE. CHAT. LAYOUT.

• Kris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I second the remark regarding the survey. #1 priority should be to make the messages/chat pane MUCH more compact.

Hurry up!

Make it a feature than can be optionally enabled in the chat window and you'll make a lot of people happy while you do all of the other stuff. The folks that want it will turn it on. Just mimic slack's layout for now. Easy.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you for doing a survey on some layout options for teams. However, the survey does not address the requested feature here: this is about the *chat* layout.

A compact mode, e.g. like Skype for business looks today, would be much appreciated for teams (incl. single chat window for 1 chat with 1 person)

Is there any way to avoid the "See More" link on each message? I just want to read everything without extra clicking.

If MS Teams is replacing Skype for Business, it needs to make accommodations for people who use this for business. This means the ability to have the app screen not take up any more real estate on a laptop than Skype for Business. The app should be scalable to whatever works for the user.

• Chris Stevens commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If we could at least get all the chat messages on the left side of the screen rather than the left/right thing it would be a significant improvement.

• Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Team channel chat history is way too cluttered (boxes around every message with always visible Reply icons and everything. Look at how Slack presents chat logs and copy them -- their presentation is way easier to read.

• Graeme commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree. Just trying to get my team to migrate to Teams from Slack and lots of grumbling about the look and feel. Far too much whitespace, left hand side bar is huge and takes up 1/4 of the screen with no ability to minimize / condense.

Looks like there's a lot of coverage in terms of integrations and apps, I like the fact that I can make calls and present directly in the product etc., but the look and feel needs work.

Some themes and basic ability to hide / show sidebars etc. would be a huge improvement.

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can reskin the *web* version yourself using browser plugins like Stylus, and find some good free skins on userstyles.org. Mine, that makes Teams look more like Slack, is here: https://userstyles.org/styles/165569/slack-teams - it's not perfect, and it only works on the web version, but it you have to use Teams it at least makes it bearable :D

• Lionel Camara commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This definitely needs some UI options. I'm just beginning to explore the various chat options, and so far am very disappointed. I just want something small to stick in the corner of a monitor, or that pops up with messages when received (similar to the message windows that pop up on facebook in a web browser), but even Facebook's own stand-alone chat offering is about double what I would like, and Microsoft's is even bigger than that (and shows less)!
        285 W x 352 H - Facebook chat window popup in browser
        505 W x 343 H - Workplace (by Facebook) with no scrollbars
        720 W x 500 H - Microsoft Team

Feedback and Knowledge Base