How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Compact mode

I really like Teams. I do. But the current chat layout is not suited for professional chats. It's way to space consuming. It looks like something imported from MSN with smiley's that take half of the screen. I would say that Slack have nailed it because they focused on the ability keeping a tight window with lots of chat text visible. In Teams the window is full and starts scrolling after like 10 sentences.

9,620 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Thomas Nimstad shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1128 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • David Payne MCP 21695 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is my biggest issue with all MS system/products. Wasted screen real estate and fixed sizes. From what I've read this has been an issue for more than 3 years. As MCP 21695, I SMH at the what MS has done since they decide everything is a phone and cratering to UX experimentation as compared to productivity.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes! Way too much landscape is taken up by the simple chat window. Makes it hard to use.

That's right Microsoft, all we needed was a new icon and a new splashscreen. Teams is so much better right now. Thank you for your hard work.

• Michael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This topic was suggested over 2 years ago. The most basic improvements across ALL MS services garner the most support from users (10s of thousands "up votes" for the top 3 suggestions), and yet the common reply from MS is "...we're working on it...". What does that mean? Is MS concentrating on aesthetic changes (pretty buttons, emojis, and dark mode) rather than functionality?

• Cliff Benoist commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would say you are correct on Slack nailed this. Please give a visual option to not use chat bubbles and go with "Date/Time" - "User" - "Text/Images/Content". Keep it small and keep it clean! It would be nice if you give us some options for this display so users can pick their personal preference here. The chat bubbles just don't work for me, so much wasted space and scrolling to see information.

• Hans Erik Jensen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Unless I'm mistaken, /this/ submission is far-and-away the most "Voted" feature request for Teams in the uservoice (not to mentioned that there are a bunch of other submissions which basically echo this submission). Getting this implemented into the UX will be a monumental improvement!

1. The compact view in Skype4B was much better than teams. It takes up too much real estate.
    2. Teams leaves the last chat in the reading pane.. what for?
    3. When accessing a remote shared desktop cannot get to start button as the ribbon pops up before I can get there. Cannot access the entire left side of the screen for 1" .. lame.

We were just forced to use teams because Microsoft turned off Skype. All I can say is - Skype I want you back! Teams is way too much and not at all clear which chats are active etc. Wish for a mini look that takes us back to the core Skype view where we can chat, call and schedule meetings.

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I did figure out you can zoom out "ctr -" which helps but this still needs to be fixed...

• Tim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our company has Office 365 and none of the staff will use Teams. They currently all use Slack because they find the chat interface cumbersome in its current bloated state. This is one of the core functions of Teams and it's a bafflingly poor implementation.

• Hans Erik Jensen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Forum Admin! Just checking in to see if you're able to share an update on this feature submission, and its place on the roadmap. Our group is migrating from Slack to Teams, and this is one aspect that would really smooth the transition for our users. Screen "real estate", especially on laptops and mobile devices, is at a premium so we're excited to know that improvements are in the works.

• CBurns commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I understand development takes time but as developers you should understand the concept of screen real estate. This is an application you are gearing towards business and as a business we need to get work done in an efficient manner. As MS is now trying to phase out Skype for business we as users would appreciate a more concentrated effort to resolve this issue before we are forced out of Skype

• Robert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would second that, but I am 1090 comments from the OP. Teams GUI TOTALY SUCKS. I just need a simple chat session that is about the conversation, NOT the "Here Look AT ME" attitude of MS Teams "APP" filling up the screen.

Totally agree, this is badly needed. I know MS is trying to position Teams to a more general population than Slack which historically targets developers. However at least please give us the option of having custom stylesheets or themes.

• Jared Wesley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This seems to have gotten worse with the latest update as I used to be able to keep my Teams chat in my 90 degrees rotated monitor and be able to see the contacts as well as the chat messages however now I need to make the screen wider to see both thus cutting off part of the interface. Please revert to old, slightly more compact usage then work to improve further as requested here. At this point, I may buy a new monitor with a higher pixel density to fix the issue immediately. Current "chat" monitor is a Dell 24" 1920x1200 monitor and with 1200 lines I should be able to see everything.

Feedback and Knowledge Base