How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Compact mode

I really like Teams. I do. But the current chat layout is not suited for professional chats. It's way to space consuming. It looks like something imported from MSN with smiley's that take half of the screen. I would say that Slack have nailed it because they focused on the ability keeping a tight window with lots of chat text visible. In Teams the window is full and starts scrolling after like 10 sentences.

8,852 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Thomas Nimstad shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1056 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can reskin the *web* version yourself using browser plugins like Stylus, and find some good free skins on userstyles.org. Mine, that makes Teams look more like Slack, is here: https://userstyles.org/styles/165569/slack-teams - it's not perfect, and it only works on the web version, but it you have to use Teams it at least makes it bearable :D

• Lionel Camara commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This definitely needs some UI options. I'm just beginning to explore the various chat options, and so far am very disappointed. I just want something small to stick in the corner of a monitor, or that pops up with messages when received (similar to the message windows that pop up on facebook in a web browser), but even Facebook's own stand-alone chat offering is about double what I would like, and Microsoft's is even bigger than that (and shows less)!
    285 W x 352 H - Facebook chat window popup in browser
    505 W x 343 H - Workplace (by Facebook) with no scrollbars
    720 W x 500 H - Microsoft Team

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It looks like Suphatra is no longer at Microsoft. I hope someone see's this and takes care of it. Add multiple layout options or "skins" for multiple needs/wants.

• James Abbott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can we get a better update than the last admin update? There's nothing really concrete but to say you are "Seriously" considering this feature. I think a suggestion that has > 7k votes shouldn't be a consideration, it should be committed to!

One of the causes other than the padding, is the width of the chat window - there's a lot of horizontal width as the chat window is not responsive, which in turn means that conversations take up more vertical space.

Please, please, please, can we get some more compact mode features, or at least an update as to when we could expect such a change? Q1, Q2, Q3?

• Nick B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The frequency of conversation in my organization makes keeping teams visible on one of my monitors a necessity. With our old chat application I was able to use my smaller laptop monitor while using my larger monitor for work. Teams has so much white space that keeping up with a conversation on my laptop monitor is practically impossible, but that means i have to try to use my smaller monitor for everything else, which forces me to choose between keeping up with chat and other tasks rather than being able to focus reasonably well on both. A compact mode would solve this easily, as well as being able to resize, rearrange, and/or hide menus and sidebars.

• Dan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A compact mode is a def requirement at a minimum. My users are refusing to use it as it takes up far too much real-estate at the moment

• Jack Yang commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, please!! MS seems to like empty space, please have the option to compact the view.

• Alex Carlock commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What I prefer about Skype for Business UI is that I can have my chats or phone calls in a small screen that takes up less than 25% of my overall screen which I can push to the side while doing other work. Even on a full HD 1920x1080 resolution 15" screen I feel I need Teams to be full screen to see enough rows of chat. Plus teams is a beast for Telephone calls. When you minimize it, you loose all call control and keeping it large enough to see the dialer takes up a lot of space, or forces me to constantly resize teams so I can see other things. SfB is better here too.

• Edouard Paumier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Frankly, I find many of those positions excessively strong in regard to the UI. After using it a while now, we find that the UI is okay-ish regarding density. Sure it could be perfected, but still, I can see 18 messages in a standard screen.

When looking at the screenshots of the user voice, and reading sentencing like "I can't see more than 10 messages", I wonder if the problem is not that many users creates multiple conversations instead of a single one with multiple answers.

If so, I feel part of the user votes could be solved by something much more straightforward such as https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/33705811-after-starting-a-new-conversation-i-would-like-the

Just my opinion, don't shoot me :).

• Grant Herbert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The option of a more compact view is a must, the offset chat "bubbles" waste a lot of screen space. Just look to how Slack do their "clean" layout - readable, easy to track # of replies and the ability to pop up a thread conversation to the side is great.

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Ozyilm - Suphatra left Microsoft, you're not likely to hear anything from her

• OZYILM commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@suphatra Is that compact UI gonna include features AlwaysOnTop and Adjustable Opacity?

• Sean Ellis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just popping back to wish a very Happy 2nd Birthday to the work on Compact Mode!

(I know I'm a day early; I'm out tomorrow.)

• MrMan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm honestly not looking for MS Teams to be slack. I'm fine with a compact mode if that is what is presented, that's totally fine. Just users the option, any option. Teams has to support more types of customer bases I get that also, but they chose to support the worst common denominator IMHO and that grossly missed the mark on users in one range of the spectrum.

Slack has problems also, its no bed of roses, trying using threads sometime; after 1 day they are lost to the ether. Channel organization also is atrocious, they have been working on that feature for....4 years. Same response "Planning". Also on desktop one can see only 1 converstation at a time, just like teams, though there is workaround if your creative. The also refuse to support full markdown (MS teams supports more). Trying getting slack to answer even one feature rquest or take feedback. Responses are mainly, your holding it wrong. Sure you can submit feedback, but mainly its thanks for you feedback here are some links you might want to read in the meantime. They also had a uservoice like page, but then took it down like 2-3 years ago. IMHO I see as hmm we might go public, lets not show everyone all the things the users are requesting and letting them vet publically, or at least make it harder to find.

All that said, its UI is far better in slack, they have lots of integrations, slash commands, simple design no clutter. It is built to get things done and it does that quite well. After using it for 1 week found out what I was missing in teams; slack is a great tool.

If anyone is irritated enough at this and wanting to jump ship on teams like many of us unfortunately had to do. Recommend looking Mattermost before jumping into slack and seeing if that fits. Its open source and free for teams can be hosted locally, but if you want enterprise and cloud, you can pay. They get it.

Competition is good. Slack is eating both Google and MS lunch, who cannot seem to figure it out yet its right there in front of them. MS teams could be great, fantastic even, seems like MS just does not care enough to connect the dots or some other unknown reasons.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think that would be a great improvement, specially to the ones used to Slack, this spacing was the first thing all the team complained.

Feedback and Knowledge Base