How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Compact mode

I really like Teams. I do. But the current chat layout is not suited for professional chats. It's way to space consuming. It looks like something imported from MSN with smiley's that take half of the screen. I would say that Slack have nailed it because they focused on the ability keeping a tight window with lots of chat text visible. In Teams the window is full and starts scrolling after like 10 sentences.

8,852 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Thomas Nimstad shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1056 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Yakeen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Extremely disappointed in teams from a desktop perspective. Especially with respect to layout in the chat window. It looks like the client is designed for tablet use, with UI components being overly large and spaced out. It would be really nice to have a compact mode which mimics the behaviour of IRC or Slack, which spaces things minimally and looks professional.

• Rafael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need an option to not auto calliopes a thread? Can you please add this feature. Also better notification option. I would like for the application to annoy me like Slack does to assure I don't miss important things. My group has a combination of Android and iOS devices and these are two of their complaints and they are fighting to move away from teams into SLACK. Also it does not play well with external GIFs

• R commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In the Chat contacts list on the left, the line under the username for each of the contacts does not need to have a row of text from the last chat, this is so distracting. I want to be able to see all of my contacts without scrolling all the time. The text from the last chat could rarely ever be useful, it's just simply not necessary most of the time. A simple, compact list of names is all I need.

• Ricky commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wow, it's as if the Teams team doesn't understand the request, at all. I didn't even finish the survey because it's clear they don't get it.

• Ray commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Must a be joke: the survey contains nothing that has any bearing on the request.
    It's the message view, S****D!!

Ah well... Slack works fine.

• Emmanuel Preveraud commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The survey in the admin reply is 404, used the link provided in a comment.
    Indeed, the questions are absolutely not relevant to this topic.

So I'll continue to periodically promote my CSS customization for Dense and Compact view of chat published here: https://userstyles.org/users/727497

Not updated for a few months since it's working well enough for me day-to-day despite a few shortcomings, but difficult to improve with the current state of the html structure.

• Joshua Sleeper commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I echo the general opinion of the comments below. Almost every suggested improvement in the survey was extremely low value to me.

I called out a handful of improvements to the teams/channels list (since that was the focus of the survey) that I'd actually find useful, but admittedly the sidebar itself is basically a non-issue right now. It could always be better, but it's already good enough.

The biggest density offender by far is the actual message view. Makes terrible use of widescreen monitors, and has a ton of useless vertical whitespace on all monitors. I encourage the UI/UX team to take a serious look at how Slack organizes threaded replies and messages in general for a much more sane, compact presentation.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

All of the padding and margins for every element need to be minimized, every thing needs to be streamlined for speed and ease of access with minimal additional clicks!!!!!

'pretty' and 'cool borders' don't matter and waste space, effects that cause additional loading time or menu's that 'slide' out or stupid things like this just WASTES TIME!!!!

Then there is the consistent issues with copy and paste while using the browser(because your 'app' just wastes ram), and the excessively slow loads when trying to scroll through history (why force a dynamic load on this when you can just send the last 5 days of chat history at the time the 'session' is loaded for that user/message thread)

We also need the option as end users to hide elements that are not needed and cause issues where the "get apps" and "store" buttons on the tool bar force the toolbar on options the left to shrink and require extra clicks to the ... button find "teams" and "meetings", and sometimes this breaks your mouse over features which are also annoying.

Zooming is another big one, If I use my browsers zoom out feature to make it easier to see more content on my screen/window, then the recent/contacts/chat rooms/etc toolbar gets in the way on the left since the page thinks that someone is using the app in fullscreen (WHO DOES THIS WHILE MULTITASKING?!?!)

ALL of this makes for a horrible experience trying to use something in a professional environment.

This is less than half of the issues I see with teams, the others include mouse over appearing menus getting in the way or not working, search issues, image loading/zooming/pasting issues, file attachment issues, text edit box issues, etc...

• Drew Hammond commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What the ****, Microsoft...

Are you guys really that tone-deaf? Nobody cares about how dense the teams/sidebar list is. Fix the chat layout. I should have read the survey questions about density more clearly. My answers were referring to the chat layout.

We can't get anyone to use the "Teams" functionality of Teams because of how bad it is, but all of our users use the "Chat" functionality daily because it's [more] dense and useful... This is not a coincidence.

I know you guys see the same trend in the telemetry data you collect so what's going on?

You are ignoring the obvious trying to differentiate your product from Slack and we hate it. There's a reason we all prefer Slack and it's really not because of the features. Slack is intuitive and Teams is clunky and terrible.

I don't even know why I still follow this thread

• Adam D. Walling commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really frustrating survey focusing on the list of teams and channels rather than the actual content of the chats and discussions which is where the bloated layout is most painful. The list of teams and channels really isn't a problem.

• Kim the first commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This urgently needs to happen, Teams is unusable for me until this is fixed.

It is unbelievable that this has a 2016 date on it and it still isn't fixed - a few UI tweaks is all it would take, half an hours work for someone who knows the code. I am considering doing it myself with a webview.

MS have increasingly good ideas nowadays but you need to stay in touch with reality, do not alienate your traditional user base for the sake of innovation. That's what Blackberry did.

You are not hitting the right balance between your internal design agenda and organic user feedback (organic feedback =/= surveys).

Having just finished the survey I'll have to add my voice to all the rest.
    Very disappointed that the survey didn't even mention the primary issue. While some changes to the channel list might be nice, who bloody cares when you can't read more than 5 messages at once?!

Crafting a quick userstyle to alleviate most of the issues was dead simple, just take an afternoon and get it done.

• kricords commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use the Teams application and the other popular chat tool. To me, the Teams application has missed the bar set by the competition. Teams is too many clicks (or clunky un-intuitive shortcuts) to get to what I want... In Teams I click 4 times to be able to chat (only 1 click on the other popular chat tool).Teams text layout of those conversations is poor at best, with a lot of noise.

Just submitted the survey... incredibly frustrating how tone-deaf Microsoft continues to be about this issue.

The whole time I was taking the survey, I was thinking: "JUST GIVE US A COMPACT CHAT LAYOUT".

NONE of the things listed in the survey were more important than the chat layout for me.

I got a survey for this issue last night. I am a bit concerned that the items on the survey had nothing to do with the chatroom information density.

This feedback item is in regards to the way chat rooms are displayed, ***not*** the sidebar.

I hope MS take notice of the comments regarding the survey. The issue is with the chat layout, not teams and channels.

• Gaute Lund commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I answered the survey also. It's a travesty, only focusing on nitty gritty details of the channel/teams list, which is NOT the problem. The problem is the godawful layout of the messages and also threads. Horrendous. Hard to navigate if there is a little traffic (of course, as long as it sucks worse than a black hole, we never see much traffic, but hey, IF....) and extremely space wasting bloated as explained here hundreds of times.
    Apparently there was a post here to the forum with the survey, and it was taken down after a few hours. You can go here and endure it's stupidity, and at the end you get the chance to write FORGET THE CHANNEL/TEAM LIST! FIX THE F**KING CHAT LAYOUT ALREADY!!!
    : https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=v4j5cvGGr0GRqy180BHbR7hW7rKdVrVInUSM809cvrtUNFhLRVNJVVhaUFI0WEJHVTA4MlpGWVZUSS4u

• Mark Jones commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

the ability to reply to a specific comment in a chat would be useful. this can be done in a team but not a direct chat

I agree with the sentiment expressed by others: The chat needs cleaning up, not the teams/channel list.

• Olivier Jacques commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A survey was issued, and I answered it. But I am very concerned that there is a misunderstanding. The survey only mentions a compact mode for teams / channels list. That is not the biggest issue.

-> We need a compact mode for the messages.

Feedback and Knowledge Base