How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Compact mode

I really like Teams. I do. But the current chat layout is not suited for professional chats. It's way to space consuming. It looks like something imported from MSN with smiley's that take half of the screen. I would say that Slack have nailed it because they focused on the ability keeping a tight window with lots of chat text visible. In Teams the window is full and starts scrolling after like 10 sentences.

8,795 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Thomas Nimstad shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1051 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Slacker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

JUST COPY SLACK AND CALL IT A DAY! THIS SHOULD BE TOP PRIORITY!! and it's VOTED one of the TOP 3!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Oh, MY GOD!
    I have to switch to this ... RAINBOWS AND UNICORNS!

1) DISABLE F* menu on mouse hover event! Try to copy short message, it is almost impossible

2) Triple click on message - has random behavior.

• B89Yt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please fix the chat, it is as stated below not good, takes to much space. Give us an compact, make it look like skype or something.

Just copy Slack and be done with it please. I love the functionality of the tabs but the chat interface is horrible.

• Ulf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The survey from Tuesday is missing the point: The issue is not (so much) with the teams and channels list, but with the plain vanilla text / chat conversation density!

• Tim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, a compact mode (with a view like the mobile app) is needed. This is one reason why, I think, many in my org haven't adopted it. They like the lightweight feel of Skype for Business. Teams needs to have a mode/view like that.

• Tribal Tech commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A compact mode is very much needed. In my previous job we used slack heavily, it was very easy to adopt. Now we are using Teams but no one takes it as their first option for communication. When I ask why am I getting emails, instead of reading a Teams post, the answer usually has to do with UX.

I took the survey and would agree this has missed the point, we need a compact view for chats, similar to what Skype for Business currently shows. If we're being forced off Skype for Business then they should make it comparable. Take a look at Skype for Business (your own product) and design a similar view.

• Yakeen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Extremely disappointed in teams from a desktop perspective. Especially with respect to layout in the chat window. It looks like the client is designed for tablet use, with UI components being overly large and spaced out. It would be really nice to have a compact mode which mimics the behaviour of IRC or Slack, which spaces things minimally and looks professional.

• Rafael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need an option to not auto calliopes a thread? Can you please add this feature. Also better notification option. I would like for the application to annoy me like Slack does to assure I don't miss important things. My group has a combination of Android and iOS devices and these are two of their complaints and they are fighting to move away from teams into SLACK. Also it does not play well with external GIFs

• R commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In the Chat contacts list on the left, the line under the username for each of the contacts does not need to have a row of text from the last chat, this is so distracting. I want to be able to see all of my contacts without scrolling all the time. The text from the last chat could rarely ever be useful, it's just simply not necessary most of the time. A simple, compact list of names is all I need.

• Ricky commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wow, it's as if the Teams team doesn't understand the request, at all. I didn't even finish the survey because it's clear they don't get it.

• Ray commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Must a be joke: the survey contains nothing that has any bearing on the request.
    It's the message view, S****D!!

Ah well... Slack works fine.

Feedback and Knowledge Base