How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Compact mode

I really like Teams. I do. But the current chat layout is not suited for professional chats. It's way to space consuming. It looks like something imported from MSN with smiley's that take half of the screen. I would say that Slack have nailed it because they focused on the ability keeping a tight window with lots of chat text visible. In Teams the window is full and starts scrolling after like 10 sentences.

7,882 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Thomas Nimstad shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    planned  ·  Suphatra responded  · 

Hi everyone, thank you for your patience since the last update.

We want to extend a huge thanks to all of you who have engaged with us on this topic of compact chat. Your input has been invaluable and helped inform our design and decision-making.

As we look to 2019, we will be pursuing plans to continue to make the product more and more space efficient. We see this as a guiding design principle, as well as a backlog of requests from UserVoice that we catalogue, discuss, debate, brainstorm and problem solve.

This principle is also why we will not be making a sharp design turn towards a permanently heavy dense design. Our user base is a wide range of people — such as high school students, the visually impaired, open source developers, and your every day knowledge worker. Because of our broad reach, we must maintain a standard of usability that meets many visual needs.

Lastly, we are seriously considering a compact mode. This would be an option — a switch, you might say — that makes everything quite dense. We are entering a new phase of product development that makes this more possible than before. To that end, I’m changing the title of this request to “Compact Mode.” We’ll keep you abreast of these plans as we learn more ourselves.

Meanwhile, we really appreciate your patience, your feedback, and your support of Teams. Thank you for being part of #MicrosoftTeams!

Sincerely,
    Suphatra

964 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Sean Ellis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well, I guess that's it. After 12 months of fruitlessly trying to our engineering team to use Teams, and being rebuffed repeatedly due to the state of the UI, we've deployed Slack instead.

(This was also helped by Microsoft's forced downgrade from Skype 7 to Skype 8.)

Takeup was immediate and enthusiastic. Slack has a compact mode option, which is pretty good, and can be made even more compact by CSS injection, a workaround which is not available in Teams.

That's ~1000 customers gone. Partly because after 20 months you cannot deliver something as simple as editing some CSS to save some space.

On the plus side, I won't be wasting my time or yours bothering the Teams or Skype teams any more.

Goodbye everyone. It's been fun talking to you all.

• Luke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When will we be able to switch between a person to person chat to a team chat without having to click 4 times? Right now you have to click Teams, then Team Name, then Channel, then you still have to click on the channel chat window so that the favorites sidebar slides out of the way. I know MS can do a better job with the UI/UX than this design. Current method is so cumbersome.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can a complete amateur apply for that position? I'm sure I won't make the Teams worse than it's now :-D

Suphatra is leaving the Teams team. We wish her well, and call on the new holder of the user liaison role to update us on the progress of this simple and necessary feature.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The UI is so "great" that almost 99% of first time users use "Start new conversation" instead of "Reply". Please make the the UI elements even bigger, it's the best way to go.

• S commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. The Teams UI is wasting a lot of space. More content could be shown per space, while still providing a clean and easy-to-handle look & feel.
        Actually, some of my team say that it's hard to follow conversations, especially because so less content is shown (and they are forced to focus on the Teams window to scroll up or to expand messages).
        This is one major reason why my colleagues (dev team of 20) want to move to Slack :(

• M commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Teams UI is an abomination. It's like communicating with sticky notes on a whiteboard. Allow a user to change their interface to allow for accessibility when required, but don't force everyone to read messages as if they were billboards.

@Aaron commented: "... when someone types more than 5 lines in a channel then their message is cut off with a "See More" button ..."

That's a very good point, especially given the whole point of the program is to facilitate communication. Requiring action to be taken just to see a single message is just unbelievably ...
        [See more]

• Aaron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Due to a company directive, my team now uses Teams. We were formally using Slack, and I must say that the waste of space is abhorrent. Each message in a channel doesn't need it's own text bubble. When I send several message in a row, they should all be grouped into the same text bubble. In addition why must there be several inches of white space on either side of the message as padding?

Also, when someone types more than 5 lines in a channel then their message is cut off with a "See More" button that I have to change focus to Teams and click the button. I should just be able to read the message in it's entirety without switching Teams to the active application. Please think of the people who enjoy using a keyboard.

• Laurin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still the reason not to change to teams....to ugly, to complicated - slack is so incredible simple and all you have to do is copy it...how hard can it be?

• MrMan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well thinking about this it could be worse, imagine what all the Allo users are going through

• Ulf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So basically this has been raised two years and we are nowhere yet? Seems MS is confused about their RTC portfolio and has taken a break from it all ...

• Luis Garcia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

STOP TALKING ABOUT DOING IT AND DO IT ALREADY
        2 Years and counting now for this request, climbing to 1,000 comments and all we get from you is blah blah blah "we will not be making a sharp design turn"
        Seriously? You're worse than Trump with this #fakenews

Feedback and Knowledge Base