How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Compact mode

I really like Teams. I do. But the current chat layout is not suited for professional chats. It's way to space consuming. It looks like something imported from MSN with smiley's that take half of the screen. I would say that Slack have nailed it because they focused on the ability keeping a tight window with lots of chat text visible. In Teams the window is full and starts scrolling after like 10 sentences.

9,653 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Thomas Nimstad shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1133 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • NichUK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is my biggest problem with Teams. You just can't get enough chat on the screen for technical issues. The concept of having every single line in it's own bubble is just a pain - lovely typography, terrible UI!

Please slim it down ASAP!

• Dennis Baskin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Making threads a second class citizen or making threads an option only would be ideal. Threads are better managed in slack.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The ability to adjust the size of the text input window would be a great addition here

• J commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, please make the Teams chat take up less space (need a compact mode)! Currently I have to make the window very large to show my contacts AND the chat.

• Rob Nicholson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

>Uservoice is becoming more and more meaningless over time - MS please put some urgency behind this

Hmm, I know what you mean. Biggest problem, aside from Microsoft taking way to long to implement to features, is the fragmentation of individual posts. I recently had an idea/wish and when I searched it, I found that at least 30 other people had the same idea, worded slightly differently, but spread across separate ideas each with 10 or so likes. If they had been merged together, they would have had more clout. So somebody (Microsoft) needs to actively merge duplicates together.

As for this particular idea, I'm okay with the current implementation. It goes reasonable compact: https://i.imgur.com/li6tAgE.png - and the mobile version is very compact. Maybe just do the mobile view on PC as an option?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Uservoice is becoming more and more meaningless over time - MS please put some urgency behind this

• J Johnson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why has this still not happened? Our company has just switched to Teams from S4B and it's so imposing on the screen I end up closing it. I also don't want to have the latest chat open at all times in order to quickly see if a contact is online.

• Carl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Emmanuel Preveraud: Thank you for posting that. Very helpful indeed.

• Scot commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Overall Teams is not a competitor to Slack or another IRC style app. It is really a replacement for Google Groups.

Slack organized around communication channels not people or groups of people. Integrations connect to channels and conversations not teams of people. Until teams makes visible all of the channels and people regardless of the Teams they are members of, it will continue to be quite different from Slack. I cannot effectively conduct multiple chat conversations at once in Teams because I cannot see conversations without selecting the Team first. So currently I default to group chat and direct chat and lose much of the integration capability of Teams.

Deal breaker missing features so far:
    No self messaging

Can't pin a message so it is persistently visible while chatting

Can't pin files so they are persistently visible while chatting

No checklists in a channel

no / (or escape character) integrations (have to move to an app)

No real organized help files or access inline from chat (e.g. /help convert to team, /help message self) Should also autocomplete after finding the syntax.

No editable Status if you have a bounce notification on your email. (huge to optimize comms flow)

• Aaron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What does Planned mean? Typically a plan involves a schedule. So.. whats the schedule?

← Previous 1 3 4 5 56 57

Feedback and Knowledge Base