How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Compact mode

I really like Teams. I do. But the current chat layout is not suited for professional chats. It's way to space consuming. It looks like something imported from MSN with smiley's that take half of the screen. I would say that Slack have nailed it because they focused on the ability keeping a tight window with lots of chat text visible. In Teams the window is full and starts scrolling after like 10 sentences.

10,128 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Thomas Nimstad shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1175 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Ben commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The red notification badge that appears on the Activity tab on the left when there's an unread chat or channel message seems to be somewhat unresponsive or "sticky". When I switch to the chat or channel window and have the new messages displayed on my screen, I expect the red unread badge to update and disappear. Currently it feels like I have to click on the message a couple of times or explicitly click the Activity tab and read the notifications in order to make the red dot go away.

• Sunny commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@morgz: I couldn't find any option to turn this "after call notification" thing! How do you do that?

• Lei commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Simple request to allow alignment to be all left, instead of zig-zag will make me very happy.

• Lei commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Comparing with Slack. Team win for the fact that it allows a dark theme that changes conversation background as well, while Slack only change the sidebar background.

However, the UI layout for conversation from Slack is much more compact. Should refer to that. Allow maximum texts to be shown on one screen, with minimal space wasted.

• Brett Zink commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please get rid of the "New Messages" popup. This is especially annoying in private chats when I don't even leave the window. I want to blow my brains out when I have to click the button every time someone says something. By doing this you're saying that the message way at the top of the thread is more important than the new one that just came in. This is a usability nightmare.

• Jon Pilon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Threading feels strange in Teams but I'm not sure it necessarily needs to go away. An option that seems like it could be the best of both works would be if the reply "bar" was removed from the chat and the reply button was only shown on the mouseover just like the like and save buttons.

This would allow teams to simply ignore the reply function if it isn't relevant to them, but for teams using it, they would still have access.

• Maciej Michałek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Suphatra, great news. Hope Microsoft will nail it this time. So far application is slow and laggy. Before testing TEAMS we've ben using XMPP protocol inside organization, with cilents like http://wtw.im/ or https://www.pidgin.im/ . They main advantage is fact, that the are extremely fast. And allow discussions in tab layout in window of size, that I want to have, which definitely usually is not full screen.

• Thomas Nimstad commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@James O; Well, the threading is part of the reason the chat flow sucks. I've personally never seen any good threading ever. The most popular old forums like PhpBB based ones etc was all single thread, and that's for a reason. There were those with thread but none of them went popular. And after being using Teams for close to two months I can see how the threads just create confusions for all members of the channel, not sure where to reply, and spawning new threads because missing out on details in another etc etc. A single flow would be much more straight forward. And interesting part is that Slack added threads but put them in separate flows, most certainly for the reasons I lists above. That said, having it configurable would make sense as long as we get rid of all the Reply links and excessive spacing.

• Ismail Jones commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

About 30% of page width is completely empty. Allowing conversation text to fill that space would save a lot of vertical room, as well, making it easier to more of your conversation.

• James O commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are some comments about getting rid of threads (distinct conversations) in a channel. I disagree--the conversations are important to how we use Teams. Perhaps threading/conversation support this could be a per-channel setting that can be turned off appease those who don't like it but kept for those that do. Sounds like it should be in a separate feature request in this forum.

When designing the UI/UX, please keep in mind low resolution devices in both landscape and portrait orientations and the desire for some people to share the screen with another app. Almost every chat/video conference program I've used is awful at making the best use of screen real estate. They assume they're they only thing the user is using. When I'm on a conference (Teams or otherwise) I almost always am looking at related documents, using OneNote, etc., while the presentation/conference is going on, on a netbook with 1024x768 screen.

• CP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Definitely need a more compact view, and move the Reply button into a right click menu because it takes up too much space. Could push consecutive messages from the same individual together to de clutter too

• Sandor Gonzalez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Compact layout: the current UI takes too much space and after a few sentences in the chat panel, you have to scroll up and down all the time

Disable conversation threads: some users may find this feature interesting. Others will find it annoying. The ability to disable it and simply show a chat as a single chronologically-ordered conversation (just like Slack) could be the solution.

• Seisteve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I disagree and really like the layout and it support the idea of being able to manage the media data that can be integrated.

...but as this is such a popular subject it is obvious that a choice of 'tightness' need to be available to people can choose how they want to view the content.

Microsoft. team rocks, this is pretty awesome...

• Alex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

pretty sure the layout is there to emulate Slack...which is a pretty popular chat client.

• Keith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree 100%....Lync had the best chat window and contacts list...or just making it completely customized and let us drag the boxes to the size we desire

Feedback and Knowledge Base

You are about to visit the UserVoice site for Microsoft Teams

We have partnered with UserVoice, a 3rd party service providing public discussion forums for product-specific feedback.

By clicking "Continue to UserVoice" you agree to UserVoice's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.