How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Compact mode

I really like Teams. I do. But the current chat layout is not suited for professional chats. It's way to space consuming. It looks like something imported from MSN with smiley's that take half of the screen. I would say that Slack have nailed it because they focused on the ability keeping a tight window with lots of chat text visible. In Teams the window is full and starts scrolling after like 10 sentences.

9,277 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Thomas Nimstad shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1085 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Ismail Jones commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

About 30% of page width is completely empty. Allowing conversation text to fill that space would save a lot of vertical room, as well, making it easier to more of your conversation.

• James O commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are some comments about getting rid of threads (distinct conversations) in a channel. I disagree--the conversations are important to how we use Teams. Perhaps threading/conversation support this could be a per-channel setting that can be turned off appease those who don't like it but kept for those that do. Sounds like it should be in a separate feature request in this forum.

When designing the UI/UX, please keep in mind low resolution devices in both landscape and portrait orientations and the desire for some people to share the screen with another app. Almost every chat/video conference program I've used is awful at making the best use of screen real estate. They assume they're they only thing the user is using. When I'm on a conference (Teams or otherwise) I almost always am looking at related documents, using OneNote, etc., while the presentation/conference is going on, on a netbook with 1024x768 screen.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Full width use of large screens would be appreciated also. Feels a little "mobile first"

• Ingo Muschenetz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Completely agree with all of this. The current layout makes it impossible to scan quickly what's going on.

• CP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Definitely need a more compact view, and move the Reply button into a right click menu because it takes up too much space. Could push consecutive messages from the same individual together to de clutter too

• Sandor Gonzalez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Compact layout: the current UI takes too much space and after a few sentences in the chat panel, you have to scroll up and down all the time

Disable conversation threads: some users may find this feature interesting. Others will find it annoying. The ability to disable it and simply show a chat as a single chronologically-ordered conversation (just like Slack) could be the solution.

• Alex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

pretty sure the layout is there to emulate Slack...which is a pretty popular chat client.

• Keith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree 100%....Lync had the best chat window and contacts list...or just making it completely customized and let us drag the boxes to the size we desire

• Sasho commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree completely, align all the text to the same side for easier readability, and remove the boxes around the chat windows. Also remove the padding on both sides of the chat (why is it there?)

• Dxb D commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes a compact chat mode for powerusers would be a lovely addition after some of the bigger items get fixed first.

• Oliver commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Thomas: fully agree on getting rid of threaded chats.

And yeah, the team conversations use approximately the space that could be used for three lines of text for the silly reply button and the space between two "threads".

• Thomas Nimstad commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Micah
    I think you're talking about the 1:1 chat. That one is ok, even though there could be small improvements (like removing the redundant name printed above each chat message since it's a 1:1 chat).

What I'm referring to, and what all other have reacted to, is the Teams > Channel chat where it's impossible to run a good dialogue due to the bloated interface with the Reply separator and excessive spacing and horribly sized emoticons etc.

As being the general opinion the "Reply" link needs to be an icon on the right side. Personally I like to get rid of threaded chats completely, it just confusing.

Hopefully we will get configuration options per Channel where the creator can configure "Allow threaded messages Yes / No" etc. Then everyone can do their choices.

• Micah Rairdon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No way... I love the layout. WAY better than Skype and pretty much identical to Slack and HipChat.

• Neil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Putting the "reply" as icon would really increase amount of text that could be shown. Also, would quite like to see the "New messages" button better highlighted.

• Rich Brown commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Completely agree on the need for a more compact layout with information on the screen. Slack and HipChat are great examples of a better UX vs Teams. The entire app feels a bit "clunky" in terms of the UX where everything consumes a little too much screen real estate.

• CM commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I love the "Expand Compose Box", I love the "Reply" feature. However, yes the "Reply" needs to become a icon. Also the name above the typed text should be removed. You can hover over a users picture and it displays all their information. That would be clean.

• Andrew Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree with this. That reply line has got to go. It can be an icon on hover or something, but it's got to go. Also, The Favorites/Recent/Schedule/etc column is enormous. Edge has a popup window that can be pinned. Please bring this UI feature to Teams.

Feedback and Knowledge Base