How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Compact mode

I really like Teams. I do. But the current chat layout is not suited for professional chats. It's way to space consuming. It looks like something imported from MSN with smiley's that take half of the screen. I would say that Slack have nailed it because they focused on the ability keeping a tight window with lots of chat text visible. In Teams the window is full and starts scrolling after like 10 sentences.

8,795 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Thomas Nimstad shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1051 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Rob North commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am probably slightly dyslexic, but using teams chat is the first time in about 20 years I have actually *felt* dyslexic. And it's simply due too much white spaces and not enough message density. In summary, I cannot use teams till this is fixed.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hmm... "This principle is also why we will not be making a sharp design turn towards a permanently heavy dense design. Our user base is a wide range of people — such as high school students, the visually impaired, open source developers, and your every day knowledge worker. Because of our broad reach, we must maintain a standard of usability that meets many visual needs."

This is simply painting the Teams' UI in better colours than it really is. Comparing to Slack the current Teams' design is cluttered, harder to read, and definitely less accessible!

• Niclas Lindgren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am talking about team channel conversations, not chat in general.

But chat in general has to get better or people will stay with slack for their one single important feature..

• Niclas Lindgren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The biggest issue is that new conversations are started too easily, but part from that you also miss /expand /collapse so all threads could be collapse or expanded

• MrMan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Based on what has been done and communicated by MS. It is more likely they might bring back windows phone that provide compact (aka efficient chat) layout of any kind.

• Matt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't understand why on the newer crop of MS tools and OS there is almost none of the customisation options that we had in everything from W95 through to W7. I find the Teams GUI a chaotic mess after Slack and the dark colour scheme painful to look at. i'd prefer to be able to set my own colours for it,and my own fonts and so on. Same with all O365 tools and I seem to remember it was the #1 issue by far before O365 was released. Especially with Word.

• James Ng commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When we first looked into replace Slack with Teams, this was one of the major complaints. The messages took too much space and required a lot of scrolling to see everything. 2 years later, there has been zero improvement in this area. What happened? A compact mode needs to be expedited.

• Daniel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's been 6 month since our company switched to Teams and the feedback is disappointing to say the least. Our site teams are always frustrated by the horrible interface. Coming from whastapp, it's simply not intuitive enough and people prefer to call or message than take to Teams.The features are all there and great, but the execution of their layout and usability is horribly inconvenient. I think that the threaded chats are ok to take up more space with the padding around - they should be set apart as they are more likely to be more important but perhaps the singular messages should be less conspicuous but still positioned clearly so as not to completely disappear from people's attention.

• Eric commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree with these comments.

1) DISABLE menu on mouse hover event! Or have fixed header padding, so that it's not obstructing text. Try to copy short message, it is almost impossible.

2) Triple click on message - has random behavior.

• MrMan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Based on the history, MS responses and the 2 surveys I have participating in. I would gather in 6 months my next post will be why does it take 3 years to make _any_ improvement in layout. Why not just pick one thing add it to your sprint and make some progress.

• Mitchell Ludwig commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am just switching over from slack now. This layout was clearly made by a UX designer who had a 32" 4K UHD monitor. I'm on a netbook. The layout needs to be made way more compact, or at least have an option for us poor netbook users for a compact layout. Perhaps the reply button on the side, and no 50px border between messages.

You also really need a Linux client, but that's another story.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 52 53

Feedback and Knowledge Base