How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Compact mode

I really like Teams. I do. But the current chat layout is not suited for professional chats. It's way to space consuming. It looks like something imported from MSN with smiley's that take half of the screen. I would say that Slack have nailed it because they focused on the ability keeping a tight window with lots of chat text visible. In Teams the window is full and starts scrolling after like 10 sentences.

10,123 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Thomas Nimstad shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1175 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I WANT MORE CUSTOMIZATION
    we recently switched to Teams to give it a chance, but I really hate the UI/UX so far. The purple color is horrible and some layout decisions are highly questionable.....

Indeed we need the options to manage the font, font type, layout, theme: not just Zoom in/out, high-contrast, etc. as that is a personal settings.
    Missing the option to rename or hide the standard channels like [Files] as we use SharePoint page embed to Document Library; Missing the option the reorder the tabbed Channels; Planner is really childish, here is not even a way to set the default tracker view to Schedule or Group by Progress (so we will use again embed to Sharepoint List); Also because we miss the options to export data from the Teams; No advanced authorisation model possible, to manage authorisation for each channel or tab.

• Charlie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add a way to remove the chat bubbles. This is now my primary communication tool and I need to have a professional tool. Just copy Slack and be done with it.

• Tovan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@microsoft, please listen to us.
    My company already make Ms. Teams as an official collaboration & approval space, so people going crazy about how to make Teams Look efficiently & friendly.

Tks

• Disgusted with the loss of customization commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

M$ is only interested in telling peeps how they are allowed to use their bloatware, and cramming as much of their other bloatware down user throats as they possibly can. They aren't interested in making it actually usable or listening to anything anyone has to say about making it less user-hostile, or even more productive. W7 was the last OS where we, the user, had any real say in how the interface looked and felt. Now we only have what some fool at M$ thinks we want, which appears to based on how much ***** they smoked. The REAL solution is to return to days of yore, across the board, where the company defines the functionality and the user defines the interface metrics to suit their needs. Tabs or undocked. Open new in same or different window. Where and how history is stored, and how much. Border size. Readily visible menu options. All colors everywhere. Title border size. Remove "emoji" from the interface completely. Custom sounds for all events. Text or icons on menues. The list of things that USED to be normal, and are now cast in stone, is nearly endliess. That would apply to this heinously pathetic chat thing as well as VS, Office, and the entire OS itself. One size never has and never will fit all, nor will some moronic "dark" and "light" theme, or what M$ thinks "compact" should be. YOU DON'T KNOW, which patently, tragically apparent to anyone. It must even be apparent to M$, which is where I started. They. Don't. Care.

AGREED!! Please Please Please condense the app. To see contacts AND messages, TEAMS takes up over a 3rd of the monitor. WHY? Sometimes I just want to see who's online. Why can't I remove the last person's messaging real estate?

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I still don't understand why we can't get a compact mode the size of the skype for business with the same UI as the iOS / Android client. The UI literally already exists for a compact mode. Make it an option then iterate on it some more.

I will say however that P2P chat expectially on desktop is bulky and cumbersome.. While replying inline to notifications is fine, composing and sending with ether a full compos or typing inline in the little box at the top of the screen is not handy, the UI in general needs to be streamlined.

One of the biggest complaints I have from users forced off of skype for business is that 1:1 chat is a giant leap backwards in usability.

Also to echo others this has been open FAR TOO LONG!

• Simon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I totally get why the feedback for this idea would be desired but group chats in apps like Discord or WhatsApp tend to be harder to follow. I think the design challenge is how to educate users to use the 'Reply' function to keep the conversation nested against the original topic. So it might be more of an education piece to teach users how to structure the conversation.

• Jason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We would be interested in migrating our Skype for Business users to Teams - but we have a lot of people who are primarily heavy IM users who would not like the experience of using such a large client just for chat. A compact Teams client, or compact mode within the Teams client is a "must-have" before we would consider migrating to Teams for chat.

• Ajay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The current layout looks like Teams is designed for use on a mobile phone.
    Can you please improve the web layout. The app is really great

• Max commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It seems to me that the "compact mode" for Teams has been in development and without any ETA now for years. The current desktop client is dreadful in respect to pure chat. It clearly is attempting to force users to utilize Teams as a "platform service", which "can" be nice if you're into clicking around all day, logging into dozens of fancy apps because every colleague uses different applications for their task management or whatever. I was really excited when my company first started using Teams.. by now it's become more of a bother than an effective tool to get anything done.
    A simple chat client pop-out would at least make communication better, but I suppose that's not the intent.

• Adriano Martins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The chat UI is really annoying! Conversations should be placed in a pop-up. So, we could close them and keep just a compact view window.

How can this still be planned?! It's not rocket science. Just implement something, throw it behind a flag so people can opt in, collect feedback and iterate. Any half competent dev can do this in a week or less. How is it possible that it takes Microsoft years?! HOW?!?!

← Previous 1 3 4 5 58 59

Feedback and Knowledge Base

You are about to visit the UserVoice site for Microsoft Teams

We have partnered with UserVoice, a 3rd party service providing public discussion forums for product-specific feedback.

By clicking "Continue to UserVoice" you agree to UserVoice's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.