How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Have video OFF by default in a team call.

Should have to opt IN to turning on video for a team call. It seems to be this way (off by default) for a video in CHAT, just not in a TEAM call.

123 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Dan H shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

24 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This does need to be resolved. The option to enable or disable the webcam by default should be a user preference. The continued request for this in this forum can not be ignored. Having this enabled by default is not just an invasion of privacy of an individual, it is also a waste of bandwidth and data when it is left on.

• Raja commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is such a bummer, Webcam should be OFF, complete invasion of privacy. I would imagine that the windows OS shows Teams App in the list of apps permitted to access Camera, it also seems to override that as well, Teams App is not list listed in permitted Apps list, and is mysteriously accessing the camera

I too would like to turn this off! And permissions for microphone and camera should be separate, not joined. These are two completely different devices and there are many reasons one would want voice without video.

• James W commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can understand choosing to not have OFF as the default, but I would like an option to set MY DEFAULT to off.

This is really bad. Please consider reopening request. Just because last time I remoted in and shared video does NOT mean that next time I remote in I'm not in my pajamas (or worse).

• noface commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Camera ON by default is a FORCED invasiion of my privacy. I dislike it immensely.

Isn't this violating privacy and against personal will if NO consensus is reached to share their faces? It is VERY important that Teams has the capability for user to chose what they need. It is also not a common user case for many of the apps today

It is not only bad news, but also against many personal privacy rules without asking.

• Mark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wow... This is just utterly ridiculous. This is SUCH an important thing over which to be able to exert control.

• Gilles Pinard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The default value for Teams should be for the camera to be off. The application does not retain it's last value of being off if it gets restarted. I just used teams to call one of my coworkers and he let me know my video feed was on, pointing at the ceiling. The automatic video is ok from the office but when working from home, you never know if any or when a possible distractions may occur.

We are evaluating Teams as replacement to Skype. Company policy for remote workers is no video, audio only. I use the facial recognition for PC startup so can't disable camera.
    I guess that rules Teams out of our selection since there is no way to set video default to off.
    Bad product development.

• Jeffrey L. Whitledge commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In my opinion, putting a button right underneath the Minimize Window button that instantly—with not even an "Are you sure?" dialog—broadcasts a video of yourself to twenty coworkers is a very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, VERY bad idea. Something needs to be done about this.

BOOOOOOOO!!!! So many issues in Teams are already addressed in SFB! Come on guys!

• Marc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't want it defaulted either way, I want to CHOSE the default, like in Skype for Business. Basically, you guys gotta go through everything Skype for Business does, and provide some similar feature. MOST of the items on this board are related to features like that that are missing.

• Brian Gilner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have permanently disabled my camera in device manager just because of this absurd default. I always used to enable it with competing technology such as Hangouts/Slack...

• Eddie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, people work from home a lot and this could be embarrassing.

• Eddie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is crazy and putting people off using Teams...theres been some embarrassing moments already....MS don't seem to think people work from home a lot !

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base