How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Have video OFF by default in a team call.

Should have to opt IN to turning on video for a team call. It seems to be this way (off by default) for a video in CHAT, just not in a TEAM call.

108 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Dan H shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    declined  ·  Warren responded  · 

Hate to share bad news, but this request was declined by the feature team.

-Warren

18 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Isn't this violating privacy and against personal will if NO consensus is reached to share their faces? It is VERY important that Teams has the capability for user to chose what they need. It is also not a common user case for many of the apps today

It is not only bad news, but also against many personal privacy rules without asking.

• Mark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wow... This is just utterly ridiculous. This is SUCH an important thing over which to be able to exert control.

• Gilles Pinard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The default value for Teams should be for the camera to be off. The application does not retain it's last value of being off if it gets restarted. I just used teams to call one of my coworkers and he let me know my video feed was on, pointing at the ceiling. The automatic video is ok from the office but when working from home, you never know if any or when a possible distractions may occur.

We are evaluating Teams as replacement to Skype. Company policy for remote workers is no video, audio only. I use the facial recognition for PC startup so can't disable camera.
        I guess that rules Teams out of our selection since there is no way to set video default to off.
        Bad product development.

• Jeffrey L. Whitledge commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In my opinion, putting a button right underneath the Minimize Window button that instantly—with not even an "Are you sure?" dialog—broadcasts a video of yourself to twenty coworkers is a very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, VERY bad idea. Something needs to be done about this.

• Marc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't want it defaulted either way, I want to CHOSE the default, like in Skype for Business. Basically, you guys gotta go through everything Skype for Business does, and provide some similar feature. MOST of the items on this board are related to features like that that are missing.

• Brian Gilner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have permanently disabled my camera in device manager just because of this absurd default. I always used to enable it with competing technology such as Hangouts/Slack...

• Eddie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, people work from home a lot and this could be embarrassing.

• Eddie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is crazy and putting people off using Teams...theres been some embarrassing moments already....MS don't seem to think people work from home a lot !

• Shanker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The auto-start of video sharing is not preferable. The user should be able to set whether the video sharing starts as soon as you join the meeting - in the settings.

We started using teams, but this feature is catching everyone off-guard as people do not prefer to show the video automatically.

Feedback and Knowledge Base