How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Important Message Notification

Currently, there does not seem to be any notification on any platform when a message in a Team/Channel is marked Important. Please put an option to be notified for important messages, even if you aren't actually mentioned in the post.

124 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Scott Spiro shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

13 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Brian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Additionally, build in the ability to change the notification settings for message marked important to send you a notification every 5/10/15 minutes if the message hasn't been viewed.

• SjoerdV commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We can now 'mark' a message as important but to 'get actively notified' or even 'filter for important messages' in the search and activity experiences of Teams would be logical additions. Why will searching for 'Important!' not get any results BTW?

• Daniel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Currently (on Mac and iOS, at least) there is no way from a notification to know that the message was marked important. At minimum there should be an indicator (red exclamation mark?) in the notification itself.
    Even better would be to have a different notification sound for important messages.

• Brian Critchlow commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Important messages should notify all members of the team, regardless of their follow status or notification preference.

• Raphy Abano commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah, it would be nice if marking "important" would send the notification. For us at my office, we have team members following their specific channels, but they don't respond immediately to messages.

I guess the alert would be helpful for quicker response.

• David Baldacchino commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 re: filtering Important posts. There is currently a way to see all Saved posts, but even searching for "Important" doesn't result in finding those specially marked posts.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

hi @skprufo - this still doesn't push an alert notification (on email for example) to all Team members? This is causing our teams to miss key announcements and alerts

• Paul Davis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can this be "invoked" via the Web hook? As this is our defacto method of notification, not having a notification (@tag, "mark as important") makes this app a failed replacement of Slack. We still have to maintain a Slack instance just so that I can have alerts/notifications that make a noise when sent programatically.

The IMPORTANT! tag is great, but it would be even better if there were notification sound options. I have a specific team chat room that I'm tasked with monitoring to assist other technicians in our firm. They post messages to that chat with the IMPORTANT! tag to notify us that they need our assistance. It would be nice to be able to set a specific sound that would go off when a high importance chat is posted.

In addition to this, we would like to have a quick access button to view all the messages marked as Important in a single pane.

Feedback and Knowledge Base

You are about to visit the UserVoice site for Microsoft Teams

We have partnered with UserVoice, a 3rd party service providing public discussion forums for product-specific feedback.

By clicking "Continue to UserVoice" you agree to UserVoice's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.