How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Add search to channel

Add a search bar specific for a channel (with keyboard shortcut)

58 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Austin Turner shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
we have this!  ·  Suphatra responded  · 

You can search inside a specific channel by going to the channel, putting your search term in the search bar, then pressing enter on your keyboard. Then, you’ll see below the search bar a little tab that says “In this channel”. If you click that, you’ll see all the search results for the term in that specific channel.

If you have any questions, just tweet me at @skprufo.

Suphatra

8 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • J K commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

> The tab that says "In this channel" no longer appears to be present in the current version of Teams.

I am also experiencing this. The "WE HAVE THIS" solution is not (or is no longer) accurate.

I'm in an enterprise that sees wide use of Teams. An all-channel search is nearly useless, as it returns far too many results, especially for common words.

We need per-channel search pronto.

• Andriy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@skprufo Teams doesn't have this!
    Please, read the requests more carefully before marking them as done.
    It looks in all channel.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The tab that says "In this channel" no longer appears to be present in the current version of Teams.

• Zach commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be nice if this were also available in the app. There is a search at the main window, but not in individual channels

• Simon Lieschke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The tab that says "In this channel" no longer appears to be present in the current version of Teams. Annoyingly this forces you to have to manually find and select the team then channel in the filter panel drop-downs to do this now.

• Andreas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think a function like this should also include the possibility to search for or jump to a specific time or date.

• ed hansberry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes. The filter is pretty decent by filtering by team and doc type, but needs one more filter to filter by channel as well.

The results are also seemingly in random order. WOuld be nice to sort by date or file name.

Feedback and Knowledge Base