How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Edit badge logic in Taskbar Notifications

When a new chat has come in add a red taskbar notification like slack does. I depend on it to know when I have a message.

120 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    we have this!  ·  AdminWarren (Microsoft Teams, Microsoft Teams) responded  · 

Due to the feedback I have created a new topic that targets the specific difficulty of the SysTray “red dot” not easily communicating presence or activity.
    Please vote up the new topic if you support it. https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/34867705-teams-in-systray-does-not-distinguish-between-acti

Most responses called out the wish to have a notification in the system tray and it looks like that is something we already have.

If you get a message a red dot appears on the system tray icon and mousing over the icon provides a pop-up message stating “Microsoft Teams – New Activity” .

Thanks,
    Warren

17 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Andrei Kuebar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't see any red dot on the tray icon when new messages comes in. This would be highly wished though.

Version: 3.0.8951.0 Win10

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree with comments below. It took me a while to figure out that the red dot was not a bug falsely telling me that I had activity, but a "feature" telling me I was in a meeting. I don't need to be told that I'm in a meeting, I need to know when there's new activity. As such, it would be super if this could be updated to only show notifications and not status.

I agree that it is confusing with the status indication if I am busy or available. Remove that and it will be better.

It would also be good with an indication of when there is unread content on channels I do not follow (do not want notifications for).

• Aaron Sherber commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You have this...sort of. Yes, a red dot appears over the system tray icon when I have new activity, but the same red dot appears when there is no new activity but my Outlook calendar shows me as busy. This makes the red dot kind of pointless. As I commented earlier, I don't see any reason for my own system tray icon to show me when I'm busy; if this functionality were removed, then presumably the red dot would just be for new activity, which is good.

• Jason Mansfield commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree that the way the feature has been implemented is not ideal - sharing a visual representation with "Busy".

• Aaron Sherber commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Coming from Slack, I assumed that the red dot on the systray icon meant that I had unread messages. I only recently realized that it means that my calendar indicates that I am busy! What is the point of that? I can understand showing my status to other Teams users, but surely I know when I myself am in a meeting without needing my Teams icon to tell me. The icon should absolutely indicate unread messages.

• Dan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed about the system tray. When small icons are utilized for the taskbar, away status is not visible. I presume the same issue would arise for notifications. System tray would be the way to go.

Yes, agreed. Looking through the comments, most seem to be about the system tray, even if they use the term "taskbar" to mean the same thing.

A system tray notification dot would be a huge help to those of us who don't keep Team in the main taskbar.

RE: clarification of SystemTray vs Taskbar (Apr 16)

For me, this is about notification in System Tray.

This feature would ensure I receive notifications of messages, even if I don't have Teams on my taskbar (eg: close Teams dialog using "X", but leave it running).

• John Denner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't keep teams open so it's not in my taskbar and I don't receive any visual cue in the system tray icon. I prefer not to get any banner notifications since they can be very distracting during screen shares.

• a_nak commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i am not seeing any badges in taskbar or system tray. I dod get brief flashing of app icon on taskbar, however I would much prefer a steady numbered badge as I DO see in the "Activity" tab within Teams.

hope to see update on this item asap. thank you!

I think part of the confusion here is the distinction between the Taskbar icon and the System Tray icon.

Many of us don't keep Teams open in the Taskbar at all times, and instead prefer to keep it limited to the System Tray icon.

Because no badge shows up in the System Tray icon, users like me never see notifications unless we catch the Toast popup right when it happens.

I think adding a badge to the System Tray icon would fix everyone's issues.

When receiving a message, the icon in the taskbar continues to blink even when reading the message. It seems to have a 3-5 second delay and continues to notify even when you're actively participating in the conversation. Only way to make the notification go away is to click the icon in the taskbar 5-10 seconds after receiving the original message.

When a new chat has come in add a red taskbar (tray icon) notification like slack does.

Declared as "Completed Mar 8, 2017" in (https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/17240717-edit-badge-logic-in-taskbar-notifications),
        but not working in v1.0.00.22051 (64-bit) on Win10. Can repro on all my co-worker's workstations (same OS) as of today.

When using multiple workstations, or virtual desktops on one workstation: the flashing popups gets missed (inevitably sent to the desktop that I'm not currently viewing).

Having that red dot on the taskbar (tray) icon is effective indicator of unread notifications, since it is always visible in all the scenarios I describe above. Loved it with Slack, miss it in Teams.

My team has detected a glitch on Mac with the badge notifications.

This is only in instances when I have closed the team app but still have it running in the background.

The banner notification shows up as expected when someone starts a new thread in teams without tagging me. However, the badge icon appears in the dock for only a few seconds and then disappears.

This causes me to miss notifications when I am away from my computer for a short time.

• charlie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A number badge on mac (like unread on Mac Outlook) would be nice as well. Ideally, the number shown would be configurable to show counts for only specific types of categories. EG All unread messages, all chats, fav chats only, all chats/fav groups only, etc

Feedback and Knowledge Base