How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Teams uses 600MB and is super slow!

Quotes from various users about memory usage and slow performance:

"Team is a memory hog! 100s MB! Slack is about 50."

"The memory consumption is over 300MB!!! This should be a priority."

"Just started evaluating teams, 500+ MB and 10-15% CPU. This is in a citrix VDI. Does teams use hardware rendering? If so is there a way to turn it off? I had to do this with the rest of Office."

"I dont understand why my Teams application only uses 70MB when other people in my organization are towards half a gig! What is causing this Teams?"

"Make it less CPU heavy, 20% CPU on switch tabs? Really?"

"See attached picture."

6,264 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jamie shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Performance has been and continues to be a big focus area for Teams. One main area we have made improvements in is responsiveness for the most frequent user actions of switching between Chat, Channel, and Activity. We are also focused on reducing resource consumption and application load time. More improvements are on the way.

~Alex

554 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Ozi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Startup at 900MB and now 1.3GB of memory and climbing.
    Come on MS, this is counter-productive and really goes against the grain for such a high profile collaboration tool.
    With countless thousands of users in our organisation I dare say we'll need to look elsewhere as this is simply not a productive way of doing business.

-Ozi

• nisse commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"Performance has been and continues to be a big focus area for Teams", you are kidding right?
    Or perhaps you think we are stupid?
    Who in their right mind can claim that using a single threaded, untyped interpreted SCRIPT to write a serious enterprise application have any focus whatsoever on performance!

And on top of that, use a framework where you can't create a simple popup-windows, something that has been possible possible in windows since Windows 2.0 was released in 1987. Now when people want multiple windows we receive answers like "We acknowledge the demand for this capability and are exploring the best possible solutions to enable this.".
    You are "exploring" how to create a new windows in WINDOWS? What the f;u*c!k is going on over there? Have you lost all connections with the real world, customers and partners?

The normal way do evolve an application in the enterprise segment is to do it SLOWLY because companies have working solutions in place and don't want or need new stuff just because you happen to release something new.
    You are aware that companies still use Windows XP because it's god enough and solve their problems just fine!

So you made the normal Skype unusable and now Skype for business are not available to companies with less than 500 employees, and you think Teams is a replacement?

You have Xamarin which produce cross platform NATIVE applications why don't you use that?

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My system is fully up to date for Office 365. I can't understand how Teams is using DOUBLE the ram of Outlook at this point?

Chrome 478 MB
    Teams 436 MB
    Outlook 235 MB
    Skype for Business 89.1 MB (Just launched it to check)

• Krister P commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This has been an issue since 2016 and it's still not resolved? Wow...

My CPU fan is working very hard to keep the laptop cool when Teams is running. As soon as I shut it down, it slows down to a normal pace.

• Caleb Blanton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've noticed this, but Slack seemed plenty resource-consuming as well. I've also noticed improvement in file download performance. Honestly, we transitioned from Slack to Teams and never looked back. At the risk of excessive brevity, I did just laugh out loud at the current update - "a slow but steady pace to our performance increases." There is humor after all in trying to manage timing expectations alongside managing performance improvement expectations! ;)

• Ben Butzer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Learned about this thread today, but I am not sure why Slack gets called out as the good example (See attached Task Manager photo). I have three teams in Teams and four channels in Slack. And the Slack subscription is the non-paid version with less history I would assume.

• Andres S commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Las time @Warren responded was September 9, 2018. That is like 8 months ago. He said several weeks... so what happened?

• Andres S commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, well, same here. I started noticing my laptop going full wind blast mode for no reason and traced it to Teams using 100% (of one CPU thread).

In my laptop's case, that is 12.5% (100% CPU / 4 cores / 2 threads per core = 1 thread running at 100%).

Going over its execution details on Process Explorer, found that there is one thread which starts at "IsSandboxedProcess+somenumber" and that thread is stuck on "waiting thread sync". That thread had used *a lot* of CPU Process Explorer claims.

So, this process is stuck on a deadlock situation of sorts, my very rusty developer gut tells me. If that is the case, thats a crass bug.

Once quit Teams (using its own Quit command), the wind turbine mode on my laptop stopped, almost immediately.

Once I started Teams, it didn't go CPU crazy. My laptop had just resumed from sleep.

I have no more time to delve deeper into this, hopefully this information helps - somehow. Teams is quite slow, but now being CPU hog... not good.

I will cross post this on other threads I find relevants, apologies in advance.

• mpeterson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

MAKE SURE YOU ARE USING THE RIGHT GPU.

I have been running a Lenovo P50, i7, 16GB RAM, SSD. The Teams UI was painfully, comically slow. But after some time I realized it was not slow on my external monitor. The difference was my laptop screen was using integrated graphics while the monitor/dock used the onboard NVIDIA GPU.

The BIOS on this laptop had an option to go from hybrid to discrete, which means it now uses the NVIDIA GPU to power the laptop screen as well as the external, and my Teams runs much smoother now.

• Piotr Zuzak commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear Microsoft Dev Team, this product is so slow because you are not using app cache inside, such as Slack.

Please add app cache to you UWP application using localdb, localstorage or sqlite as we would like to work efficently with this software. If this application is not UWP but rather WPF. The only thing that you have to do is create json files or sql data.Btw. I am software .NET developer so please consider my advice, especially when this thread is opened almost two years ago and you are struggling with this as it would be a rocket sience.

Thank you, hope you will be more motivated to fix this CRUCIAL part.

• Aaron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The teams app freezes and crashes for me so often that it's unusable. The web app functions much better, but it is limited. This has got to be resolved.

You could go to mars with the machine it's running on, so I don't see how it's a resource issue.

• Irwin K commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am using a brand new computer and freshly installed Office 365. The Microsoft teams are using so much memory. Luckily that my laptop is a bit powerful. However, I am feeling bad for other staff who is using Surface Pro. Looking forward to a solution soon.

• Rob Nicholson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just ended up here after searching for problems with teams.exe taking up a lot of resources. My desktop fan was running loud which is always a signal that the CPU is running hot. Sure enough all four threads running at 100%. VMware Workstation was #1 (not surprised) but teams.exe was a close second. Quit teams and CPU usage dropped to 30%. Something is not right here for a chat app!

• Javier Hoyos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Totalmente de acuerdo la aplicacion de escritorio de teams es la que mas consume recurso de la maquina, ni comparacion con outlook, chrome o excel que son los que mas utilizo, deberian mejorarlo ni comparacion con skype que consume 68.2 MB de ram.

Afortunadamente mi equipo tiene 8gb ram que con las distintas aplicaciones se consume el 52% ram.

• Lee Gaupp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I concur with post from Matt Yoeman below - SSD and 8+gigs of ram on a modern T460 Lenovo and I'm not seeing any issues with performance of Teams or other apps I run. It would be helpful if MSFT would provide us some simple way to Perfmom or like MS iOS/Android apps can gather logs and submit to MS, providing a incident that you can track or communicate with Premier.

• Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

so it's 2019 now and May at that and my Teams is using 1.2 GB's and 60%+ of my CPU constantly - is this ever going to get fixed?

← Previous 1 3 4 5 27 28

Feedback and Knowledge Base

You are about to visit the UserVoice site for Microsoft Teams

We have partnered with UserVoice, a 3rd party service providing public discussion forums for product-specific feedback.

By clicking "Continue to UserVoice" you agree to UserVoice's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.