How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Teams uses 600MB and is super slow!

Quotes from various users about memory usage and slow performance:

"Team is a memory hog! 100s MB! Slack is about 50."

"The memory consumption is over 300MB!!! This should be a priority."

"Just started evaluating teams, 500+ MB and 10-15% CPU. This is in a citrix VDI. Does teams use hardware rendering? If so is there a way to turn it off? I had to do this with the rest of Office."

"I dont understand why my Teams application only uses 70MB when other people in my organization are towards half a gig! What is causing this Teams?"

"Make it less CPU heavy, 20% CPU on switch tabs? Really?"

"See attached picture."

5,208 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jamie shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    working on it  ·  Warren responded  · 

The feature is still being worked upon. Many different changes are going into Teams and will provide a slow but steady pace to our performance increases.

I don’t have any new details at the moment but hope to get some additional feedback in the next several weeks.

-Warren

496 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You HAVE to fix some kind of decent caching when scrolling up in chats. It takes several seconds to load things i wrote to a colleague earlier this day. And as if that wasn't enough, when I scroll back down again those messages have to be load as well. Like what the ....?

• Shawn Eary commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My statement about a clean windows install using too much memory was apparently exaggerated. I just did a clean reinstall of a recent version of Win10 LTS and it only seemed to eat up slightly more than 1 Gig of memory when running on an 8 GB machine (before installing any updates). That's still twice as much memory as what a modern Ubuntu XFCE session in GNU/Linux took on a different 4GB computer. Also, if I were to use TWM instead of XFCE, I suspect I could have gotten the XWindows - GNU/Linux memory usage down even more. I apologize and should probably mention that the memory usage I stated for Outlook and Teams were just possible common states. Sometimes the memory usage for those apps is higher or lower than what I stated. Lately, my MS Teams memory usage is *usually* below the 500 MB mark, but not always...

Anyway, if you were to release a GNU/Linux version of teams, maybe I can go back to using a "real man's" window manager like TWM.

• Shawn Eary commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please fix this and consider adding a GNU/Linux client. Also, please consider porting Hyper-V and your super fast Android emulator to GNU/Linux. Traditionally, I consider myself a Microsoft fan and *really* like ASP.NET/Core. Regretfully, my desktop has limited memory and I don't see that situation changing very soon. It doesn't help me when Windows 10 seems to eat up 1.5 Gigs by default on a clean install and then running teams takes up another 500 MB and Outlook takes up another 200 Megs (or so) at a time. Sometimes I run Ubuntu from Hyper-V inside Win10; unfortunately, with my limited RAM situation, my productivity slows when MS apps eat up this much unnecessary RAM.

I do *not* like the fact that GNU/Linux calls it's background drivers daemons. That offends me, but I have to overlook that for now. I can run a XWindows session on Ubuntu in 400 Megs or RAM or so, but MS Windows eats up 1.5 Megs of RAM. I recently switched to the Long Term Servicing branch of MS Windows since our site license seems to allow it. Fortunately, the LTS branch does seem to be cleaner and use less memory than standard Windows 10, but now, I've lost the MS Weather app and (more importantly) MS Edge.

The number of votes on this issue likely represent a very small fraction of the people that are actually annoyed by MS Teams' inefficient use of memory. Even within my current organization, I think there may be people that still *refuse* to use MS Teams. Those people are not going to even bother to come here to "complain". Those people will simply use competing products.

DISCLAIMER: None of my comments represent the opinions of any of my current or former employers. I'm just saying I *like* Microsoft, but you're eating way too much of my RAM.

• eric commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Its been a couple of years now and this still hasn't improved. Its probably time to consider this electron experiment a failure and move on instead of investing more development time in a solution that isn't working and probably cant be fixed.

• Jeff Miller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If Microsoft is serious about unseating Slack and making Teams the replacement for Skype, the performance and stability needs to drastically improve. Just rebooted and Teams has consumed 385 MB of memory and we only have 3 teams and a few channels.

• Laila Agaev commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Scrolling up in a chat (say 2-3 pages back) is ridiculously, unusably slow (on windows desktop client).

• tle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In an RDS environment with thin clients, our users no longer start the application.

Why is Citrix talking about the great partnership with Microsoft? Microsoft teams department seems to have the most incompetent developers on the market. Amateurs. Loser.

Even locally on the fat clients makes the application no fun. Eats resources and takes a lot of time for every action.

Just junk

• Richard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Teams also runs with several instances/processes.
        From startup, there are 4-5 different instances of teams.exe running!
        Please make this stop and have everything run from a single instance of the application.

I have been trying to use Teams for sometime now but I find it very unreliable. Very often and unexpectedly in a middle of a call it decides to shut down...it gives me a message...oops something has gone wrong...and it shuts down to restart automatically. Of course it does not recover the call and we have to start again.

I think it will be highly disruptive to business if we move to a platform with so many problems

• Cristiano Santos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

*DISCLAIMER* = I'm a Citrix employee and this is not a permanent solution, but will make everyone lifes easier until a permanent solution be released.

For who is using Teams with Citrix, you can go ahead and try it with Browser Content Redirection, until Citrix and Microsoft release Citrix RTME for Teams, like already has for Skype for Business.

It will help you guys to keep the Shared Hosted VM with less CPU/RAM usage, what means a better user densety per VM.

• Cristiano Santos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

*DISCLAIMER* = I'm a Citrix employee and this is not a permanent solution, but will make everyone lifes easier until a permanent solution be released.

For who is using Teams with Citrix, you can go ahead and try it with Browser Content Redirection, until Citrix and Microsoft release Citrix RTME for Teams, like already has for Skype for Business.

It will help you guys to keep the Shared Hosted VM with less CPU/RAM usage, what means a better user densety per VM.

https://www.citrix.com/blogs/2018/12/12/browser-content-redirection-2-0-will-help-you-maximize-your-multimedia/

https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/citrix-virtual-apps-desktops/multimedia/browser-content-redirection.html

• Jon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Screensharing performance makes it almost unusable any chance of an update on this work?

Can we get an update on this guys. We just moved 1500 people to Teams and half the company using OSX are screaming to move to slack because of the performance on OSX 10.14 is unusable.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 24 25

Feedback and Knowledge Base