How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Teams uses 600MB and is super slow!

Quotes from various users about memory usage and slow performance:

"Team is a memory hog! 100s MB! Slack is about 50."

"The memory consumption is over 300MB!!! This should be a priority."

"Just started evaluating teams, 500+ MB and 10-15% CPU. This is in a citrix VDI. Does teams use hardware rendering? If so is there a way to turn it off? I had to do this with the rest of Office."

"I dont understand why my Teams application only uses 70MB when other people in my organization are towards half a gig! What is causing this Teams?"

"Make it less CPU heavy, 20% CPU on switch tabs? Really?"

"See attached picture."

3,774 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jamie shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

411 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jeff Alan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

MS seriously needs to step up the performance optimization for Teams. I am unable to sell its use in our environment because of its slowness. We have older desktops where the latest version of any other Office apps works great, but Teams is such a pig that no one would use it. Please fix it or fire the existing dev to hire new ones who know what they are doing.

• Sean Ellis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This recent article struck a chord: http://tonsky.me/blog/disenchantment/

"A simple text chat is notorious for its load speed and memory consumption. Yes, you really have to count Slack in as a resource-heavy application. I mean, chatroom and barebones text editor, those are supposed to be two of the less demanding apps in the whole world. Welcome to 2018.

"At least it works, you might say. Well, bigger doesn’t imply better. Bigger means someone has lost control. Bigger means we don’t know what’s going on. Bigger means complexity tax, performance tax, reliability tax. This is not the norm and should not become the norm. Overweight apps should mean a red flag. They should mean run away scared."

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was hoping my new machine with 4 hyperthreading cores would solve the problem...but, nope. Teams is still the biggest hog of any application on my machine. I have a VM running and a plethora of other applications that I'd expect to be far more memory intensive. Please for the love of god help us out here.

• JohnB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is now September of 2018. I see posts as old as November 3, 2016.
        So it has been almost 2 years and nearly 4000 Votes on the topic....
        Yet it is still not resolved.

Yes Teams does more than Skype (well it could if it did not kill our machines to run Teams), but it should not take more memory that SharePoint, Outlook, and Skype put together.

Please fix this.

• Carlo Wahlstedt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm seeing high consumption on macOS (> 1GB) but only after coming back over the weekend and AAD has signed me out and waiting for login. All the memory is listed as compressed in Activity Monitor.

• Pierre-Louis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's not like if it were the 500th time you promised you were working on CPU+RAM issues. I'd be surprised if people really trusted you. Anyway, since my company won't add RAM or change CPU, this product is dead to me unfortunately.

• Chris Johnson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any update on the performance and memory issues? We are testing with 600 users and many report slowness, memory and misc issues with performance. We are at a decision point if we move forward with cisco webx teams or MS Teams, need to see some progress.

I have a surface pro 3 which works fine for my workflow but when I do a teams video call it must kill the integrated graphics card because web browsing it dead can not muti task when on a video call and sharing a screen which essentially makes most of my calls poor

I would like to learn more about how Electron works under Citrix VDI (Xen Desktop) and if there is anything special that needs to be done to enable this or is it transparent ? I have a tiny Electron .exe that doesn't do much other than run an Ionic/Angular web app. I would greatly appreciate any information you could provide or point me to in this manner. Thanks!

• Richard Wallen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our biggest problem outside of forgetting that HTML like symbology causes text to not save is the slow response time.

• [Deleted User] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ubuntu here, can't even use your web app; Your JS-fu is complete ****, teams runs 100% on 4 cores constantly;

Yesterday I thought my laptop-battery was broken because of discharge while plugged in; Turned out ******* teams was the culprit, and battery startet charging again as soon as i killed your incompetent shitware.

Just go bankrupt already and shutdown the department; Don't force me to profile your ******* abomination for you.

• Christ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Teams is almost unusable as an App due to an extreme GPU and CPU load. How can teams eat up 50% of my NVidia GTX even when minimized and is the CPU spiking to a 100%?

When using teams via the browser it does seem to work fine and is much more responsive in general. What is going on?

• Igor Baidiuk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My VS2015 with Qt add-in uses less than 200MiB. Teams, when minimized, uses almost 400MiB. This is beyond ridiculous. Stop developing enterprise product with a bunch of JS kiddies.

Huge amount of GPU usage when minimized to Taskbar. Goes away if I close the window completely, even though still running in background.

Is there a way to shut off the Teams Helper on mac? It spikes in % CPU usage to 70% a lot and I am not using help. Woudl be great to turn it off until they fix this memory issue

• Lukasz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree, totally unusable. IMHO it should never be released to public. When it's your primary messaging app in the company and you get frustrating by sending messages in 2018 because of app performance then something definitely went wrong. 1 second wait, when you switch chat, whole app blinks, sometimes crashes completely, micro freezes and the best part - scrolling. You scroll up a little - messages are fetched after while, scroll down - messages are fetched and displayed after while, scroll up again - messages are fetched and displayed after while. Yeah, totally not acceptable in "desktop" app. First you killed skype, now same issues with teams.

• Juraj commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The effort is definitely appreciated, but the app still feels extremely sluggish. I'm in 9 teams, 23 channels total – no extreme numbers by any means – and yet switching tabs on an otherwise idle PC with Core i5 and 8 GB RAM takes about a second.
        If there's even one unread message, CPU usage jumps to over 10 % and stays there, all the while Teams sits idle in the background.
        In the meantime, the Slack UWP app will sit there quietly and respond immediately.
        Perhaps it's time to admit that Electron is not the way to go and move on to pure PWA, or make a UWP app instead.

• Alex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With other big applications the Teams app is very slow and can crash at any time which makes working in collaboration across the organisation very difficult.

• Alfred Weindl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I still have some hangs, especially if i come back to teams and have to wait up to 1 minute if teams react.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 20 21

Feedback and Knowledge Base