How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Teams uses 600MB and is super slow!

Quotes from various users about memory usage and slow performance:

"Team is a memory hog! 100s MB! Slack is about 50."

"The memory consumption is over 300MB!!! This should be a priority."

"Just started evaluating teams, 500+ MB and 10-15% CPU. This is in a citrix VDI. Does teams use hardware rendering? If so is there a way to turn it off? I had to do this with the rest of Office."

"I dont understand why my Teams application only uses 70MB when other people in my organization are towards half a gig! What is causing this Teams?"

"Make it less CPU heavy, 20% CPU on switch tabs? Really?"

"See attached picture."

3,113 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jamie shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    working on it  ·  AdminWarren (Microsoft Teams, Microsoft Teams) responded  · 

I want to assure you that overall performance, speed, cpu, memory, etc. are all being worked upon.

We want to get these improvements to you ASAP – and so are releasing fixes as they are made, which in turn will snowball into a larger improved feel. (As opposed to holding these in earlier rings, and then doing a big bang update.)

Please know that the feature team is hard at work on dozens of items to make these improvements. We’re seeing great gains in performance in earlier rings of deployment, and you will soon see these improvements as they’re released to further rings.

Again, it won’t be a single update that’ll address all the concerns, and it will take time. But gains are steadily and surely coming.

-Warren

361 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Mark D'Arcy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Being worked on for over a year and still ridiculous memory usage for what essentially is a chat app.

• Carlos A. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

it be nice to have more work done on performance and fixing existing features then adding more random features with more bugs. All the new app integrations are nice and all but when the core is slow the integrations mean nothing.

• Niels Brinch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have to go back to using Skype for Business for conference calls as Teams is causing significant degraded performance on our high-end developer laptops.

• Taylor H. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Performance is continuing to get worse. Even with a really beefy machine, Teams regularly freezes up and has other performance problems.

• John commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Teams managed to leak its way to 1.5GB last week, which is just absolutely unbelievable. Please fix.

• Alex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

it's so unfortunate that a team with so many good ideas isn't given the resourcing to fix the most basic of problems. There are so many thoughtful interesting features that are a pain to use because operations are slow, buggy or inconsistent. Everyone I work with has fallen back to S4B.

• Juraj commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've noticed that whenever there are new notifications (red badge), CPU usage instantly jumps to 20-30% and stays that way until I open the app and clear the notifications. This means that even an idle Surface Pro will run hot just due to Teams and the fans are running almost constantly. Really not what you expect from a relatively simple communications app.

• Erik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any progress on this issue? I'm watching it eat over 8% of my total CPU just sitting there and doing nothing. My Windows 10 system is already slow, I don't need an idle chat application making it even worse.

• Sean Ellis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Scrolling up through chat history should not dump the most recent chat messages out of memory, which is what happens at the moment.

The data content of channels and chat is mostly very small - especially if stored compressed. It should be cached locally for as long as possible, preferably forever.

The size of the local cache should be set to a sensible default but controllable via a user option.

Search should search cached messages and display those results first before throwing requests to the server.

• John commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The desktop client is terrible. I have uninstalled it and refuse to cripple my PC by attempting to run it.
        Core i7-6500U @ 100% (power settings)
        8GB RAM
        SSD drive

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In theory this application is ideal for what I want to do with my remote team. In practice the performance of the desktop client poor and almost renders the application useless. I switched back to the browser version for now and hope for improvements in the desktop client soon.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sorry Warren, haven't seen any improvements in this and now unusable. Shame, because as a Microsoft consultancy we would love to be able to recommend this tool as in theory very good. Just unusable when you start having a few teams and chats on the go.

• Erik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In Windows 10 Microsoft Teams takes almost 200MB of RAM and is super slow as well! Why does a chat application need more than 100MB of RAM and routinely take more than five seconds to switch between conversations? What could it possibly be caching? There's no need for it, as an ancillary application, to take more resources than my primary applications, including Visual Studio!

• Anon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can you abandon using Internet Explorer as part the backend (as the rest of the internet has) and instead use SDK's or API's? I believe you'll dramatically trim down the memory footprint AND the app size. Once IE gets corrupted or malwared as it always does, it kills system performance across the board, and using it as the foundation for Teams is only going to add to the compaints on speed.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 18 19

Feedback and Knowledge Base