How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Teams uses 600MB and is super slow!

Quotes from various users about memory usage and slow performance:

"Team is a memory hog! 100s MB! Slack is about 50."

"The memory consumption is over 300MB!!! This should be a priority."

"Just started evaluating teams, 500+ MB and 10-15% CPU. This is in a citrix VDI. Does teams use hardware rendering? If so is there a way to turn it off? I had to do this with the rest of Office."

"I dont understand why my Teams application only uses 70MB when other people in my organization are towards half a gig! What is causing this Teams?"

"Make it less CPU heavy, 20% CPU on switch tabs? Really?"

"See attached picture."

2,339 votes
Sign in
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jamie shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    working on it  ·  AdminWarren (Microsoft Teams, Microsoft Teams) responded  · 

This item is actively being worked upon.

There are several dozen separate update pieces being worked upon that will provide an overall performance boost. As these updates get closer to completion I’ll provide a timeline as they prepare to roll out.

There is a lot of good progress, as I get more details I will share them. The survey was a huge help in pin pointing how we can best serve you with these updates.

Thank you!

Sign in
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      • Marty Coopes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Spoke with Microsoft Support team today looking for a proactive case to resolve the issue. Response was breif, and that they have an entire team working on this. We run a virtual desktop environment and have concerns pushing this out to the environment with current resource consumption.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

node.js is perfectly fine for a low latency, modern UI. If you don't believe me, take a look at Visual Studio Code. But of course it requires good code.

• Aaron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's mostly just piling on at this point, but in fairness I'm not too worried about the resources used, it's just SO DANG SLOW when clicking around in the interface. I can get over it taking a moment for data to sync, but man, the UI just needs to be way more responsive!

• Chris Webb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for the update Warren, seeing all these changes recently has my hopes up for Teams again, we were in a lul for awhile where nothing seemed to be happening! Looking forward to it!

• ndee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ever used SLACK?
        Open it - fast!
        Switch feeds - fast!

TEAMS.... slow - everywhere!

• Shrimant commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Desktop application is hampering the system performance a lot.

Scenario to test,
        1. Install desktop application
        2. Join online meeting (ex. GoToMeeting)
        3. Start sharing your desktop in meeting.

After that your system will respond very slow.

• Mario P. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It has become more stable in the past two weeks. Keep up the good work: Windows 10 Desktop version: 1.1.005963(64bits) but the iPhone app crashes constantly when accepting calls<-- I'll search for another thread or report this one accordingly.

• Anthony G commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

dear admin, another duplicate, many posts on performance, many will agree with tho

• Seamus Allen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is no good reason your app should take up 300-400MB of my memory while I'm not doing anything with it when similar apps like discord take up less than 30. Please fix this.

• Charles Roddie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Serious apps should not be developed as webapps. This app is a core part of O365 and that makes it serious. It should not be a webapp.

• Samir Chowdhary commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Teams is quite buggy and slow, it takes longer for messages to sync, this behaviour is well observed. Our team uses Team on Mac Pro Book. If you can make it thin-light and boost its performance, that will be nice.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please improve performance asap. Half of the company on Slack, the other half on Teams. If Teams is not better by June, decision for Slack. We have 400 users, many complaints about Teams performance now in Feb.

• Lee Stevens commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Amazingly it brought my Microsoft Surface Pro 2017 i7/512 to its knees. Once I stopped the Teams process, it immediately stopped my Bluetooth mouse lag, and all other apps became responsive. Why is it killing resources when it's only being used as a chat app?

Microsoft Windows 10 1709, Microsoft Surface Mouse, Microsoft Keyboard, Microsoft Teams. Wondering what could possibly be the issue. :)

• Matt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

High RAM usage, high CPU usage, high disk usage, even when idle. I regularly have to close Teams when doing any actual work since it can grind the machine down to a halt when compiling code or checkout out source repositories.

This is on an i7, 12GB RAM, on a traditional HDD, Windows 10.

It's a chat app, it should be small and discreet, natively run, low overhead, and should have no need to access the disk in the background.

• BenVH commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are having to hold off on deployment of Teams at new clients because of this issue. Older machines cannot handle the app running at 20% cpu and 600mb RAM.

• BenVH commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are having to hold off on deployment of Teams at new clients because of this issues. Older machines cannot handle the app running at 20% cpu and 600mb RAM.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 14 15

Feedback and Knowledge Base