How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Teams uses 600MB and is super slow!

Quotes from various users about memory usage and slow performance:

"Team is a memory hog! 100s MB! Slack is about 50."

"The memory consumption is over 300MB!!! This should be a priority."

"Just started evaluating teams, 500+ MB and 10-15% CPU. This is in a citrix VDI. Does teams use hardware rendering? If so is there a way to turn it off? I had to do this with the rest of Office."

"I dont understand why my Teams application only uses 70MB when other people in my organization are towards half a gig! What is causing this Teams?"

"Make it less CPU heavy, 20% CPU on switch tabs? Really?"

"See attached picture."

5,758 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jamie shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
working on it  ·  Warren responded  · 

The feature is still being worked upon. Many different changes are going into Teams and will provide a slow but steady pace to our performance increases.

I don’t have any new details at the moment but hope to get some additional feedback in the next several weeks.

-Warren

523 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Matt Yeoman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would ask more what is running in conflict, I am running Teams on my machine, has little CPU usage, yes memory is around the 500Mb mark but zero slow down. It sounds more like something else that is running is conflicting with Teams, question to those having issues are you upto date with Windows updates? and are you using an SSD drive? Not a single machine in my organisation has any issues like this, we keep all machines up to date and all run SSD drives, nothing below 8Gb ram and don't see any issues

• Carty commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We found an issue with IP Tunnelling in the umbrella client was causing teams to use a large amount of resources. Once disabled - teams has been working well across our estate of mac's and windows devices.

• Lucy Hey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not sure why Task Manager shows I have 4 teams.exe running when I only have the app open once? It's also using memory of 500mb+ which is really slowing down my laptop. Please sort.

• Ian Wong commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ditto to all the comments - Teams is chewing up over 615Mb RAM on my side with the CPU at 65%: just with TEAMS alone. I have to keep shutting it down just to get to get things going again

• Anon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

received massive complaint from users in my org regarding pc lagging, upon checking, teams consumes a lot of memory 600MB++ which is ridiculous!. Please fix asap!

• Arev commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any update on this? Was just doing a demo for my company to move from Slack to Teams, and the only bottleneck appears to be the crazy memory usage.

• Martin Kirk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This App consumes more than 2x Virtual Windows XP installations .... A FREAKING CHAT APP !!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

it also causes my internet speed to drop from 800Mbps to 400Mbps when TEAMS application is turn on, if I use the web, the internet speed remain.

Not sure where people are getting this issue from. I've just checked my Teams and I'm around 400Mb and less than 1% CPU usage. Would be interested to see where this goes so I am forewarned should any issues arise here

• Del commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is still an issue for me, 500MB of RAM when minimised in the task bar is way too much. I've decided to uninstall it and use the web version instead. Let me know when you have got it under 100MB then I might be tempted to reinstall it.

• Barry Semple commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

On mobile devices it totally kills battery life to the extent that most of my colleagues have had to remove the app :( This is on IOS and Android.

If this app is to truly be used by enterprise companies then MS need to up their game on writing better code!!

Right now, I've got 2 Slack organizations running (instance to two different environments), and there's 600 MB running. Slack is a beast, plus is slows down Chrome when there's too many channels being followed.

Our entire company userbase has a min 8GB RAM, and only the special ones get 16GB ,so this should work lightning fast on 8GB. Ganbatte ne!

Teams currently using ~500MB of RAM and hanging frequently.

Run's my whole machine into the ground at points.

• Peter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any updates? Teams of often taking 100% CPU and lots of RAM during meetings.

• Antonio commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello,
    Teams apears to be very slow and resource consiming for me also. Aroubd 100% CPU at all time, a lot of memory also. And sometimes the Pc becomes non reponsive.
    A huge issue at the moment.
    Please consider Teams need a deep improvement for better acceptance.
    Regards.

How things should be, to support a real-world enterprise environment:

- Teams supports centralized installation and managed updates
    - Teams cache is in %localappdata%
    - Teams settings are in the Registry, in HKCU, or if they have to be file-based, in %appdata%

Performance is far worse on OS X devices, with 100% CPU consumption, complete battery drain in under an hour and overheating machines. Terrible experience.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 26 27

Feedback and Knowledge Base