How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Teams uses 600MB and is super slow!

Quotes from various users about memory usage and slow performance:

"Team is a memory hog! 100s MB! Slack is about 50."

"The memory consumption is over 300MB!!! This should be a priority."

"Just started evaluating teams, 500+ MB and 10-15% CPU. This is in a citrix VDI. Does teams use hardware rendering? If so is there a way to turn it off? I had to do this with the rest of Office."

"I dont understand why my Teams application only uses 70MB when other people in my organization are towards half a gig! What is causing this Teams?"

"Make it less CPU heavy, 20% CPU on switch tabs? Really?"

"See attached picture."

4,207 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jamie shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

428 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Carlos A. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i have this one issue when ever i do a video or just a voice call with a very specific user in the organization it locks up teams on both of our sides. The call will stay up and we can talk but the teams client basically becomes un responsive. Even when we hangup the client just hangs and just sits at using 15-30% cpu. It's the oddest thing as this only happens when calling this one user.

• John commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just found out today that waving my mouse around in the Teams window drives CPU usage up to 40%. Mind you, I didn't click on anything. So that's a fun fact!

• mark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Huge memory hog, the program runs slow and makes the computer run slow. Please Fix.

• Tom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any update on this? Using the Mac Teams app and it's barely usable now because it's so slow. Every click has a 10-30 second delay. It's the slowest app in existence. I have started using Google Hangouts until it gets fixed.

• eric commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just tried to do a search and like always it locks up the client and I had to kill it from task manager. But then when it relaunched it tried to bring back the application state which in this case was the same search so it would just immediately lock up the client again. I had to kill the client and delete my teams cache files to clear out the client state and get it to launch without hanging.

This is amazingly bad.

I don't think its a memory leak, its just horribly inefficient code. If the search were done correctly it would be server side and there would be no client resources required beyond displaying the search results. So either they've messed that up so amazingly bad or they're doing something even worse like handling the search client side.

Terrible client side searching seems more likely as the current search behavior of hanging the client and using tons of ram smells like a javascript-based client side indexer.

• Ojas Panwar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It has been getting better since this issue was created but I ran into a memory leak today. When you search for a text in the searchbar at the top, click on one of the results. This will slow teams to a grind and make it ununsable. I opened task manager & saw that teams' memory usage had ballooned to 2.8GB.

• a commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hurry up and fix this finally! It’s just a stu*id chat client! I cannot understand what’s the problem here. Some text, user icons etc. and then that.

Its time to give up on javascript and just write a native client for windows. You're throwing money at trying to make javascript work when it never ever will. Every single electron based application sucks and has the same horrible performance.

Or maybe if you guys don't care about client performance, then create a client API so people can write 3rd party clients that actually work.

• Brian Johnson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have been starting the Teams process and getting people on board. Some sort of update would be helpful. I'm going to love standing in front of 10 department heads today talking about the Teams roll out and slowness experienced by the test group.

We notice this more on tabs that link to external content. But it has its moments on all tabs.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need an urgent update on this. We are looking to roll out Teams in our company, but this is impossible with the current desktop client. The performance hit is STAGGERING. Memory usage aside, the whole PC is reduced to a crawl when the Teams client is running in the background. It's like going back to a single-core processor! Window re-draws, task switching, opening apps all go from more or less instant to taking several seconds on our (relatively modern) hardware. It's not clear what the Teams client is doing to cause this (CPU usage remains low, for example), but it's definitely doing something evil. Normal performance resumes as soon as we quit the desktop client.

• Julien HACQUARD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please do something. I'm included in more 150 Teams at this time. This is our process for have specific Teams per customer / internal project or service. Each time I'm added in
        a new team this seems more slower. Please, the product was really helpfull and enjoying at the beginning. Now this become more and more a nightmare.

• John commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just had to force kill Teams, again, because it became unresponsive. What did I see in Task Manager? 28.3% CPU and 1,131.7MB RAM usage. This is absurd.

• Jeffrey Theunissen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is not a feature this is a P1 FAULT. NOT A FEATURE A FAULT. If this were any other application this would be a P1. A P1 should be a priority repair within hours of being reported this should be fixed. Not months we are not asking for more features. We are not working for a change for a nice to have thing. I am actively recommending to customers to not install this software due to this fault, not because it lacks a feature.

This is ridiculous I have never used such a poor performing app. If left unused I have seen it consume 3GB or memory doing nothing. If I leave it running and do not use it, it slows the computer to the point it stops. I am not talking a slow computer here a top of the range i7 computer and it is reduced to the power of a calculator. I hate this application and only use it as our company has adopted it for some project work. I am forced to disable it as much as possible due to its problems. This is not a minor bug this impacts thousands of desktops at our company and affects the output of these users by slowing the computers to the point they cannot be used. As I am a systems engineer I know to disable teams but many people do not even know why its happening and return pc's to be re-imaged of return to manufacturers thinking its a hardware fault. As a systems engineer this experience has proven to me I should warn all my customers to at least not implement teams until these issues are fixed. So although I must use it I have at least stopped thousands of other people suffering from this badly written software.

• Jeffrey Theunissen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is ridiculous I have never used such a poor performing app. If left unused I have seen it consume 3GB or memory doing nothing. If I leave it running and do not use it, it slows the computer to the point it stops. I am not talking a slow computer here a top of the range i7 computer and it is reduced to the power of a calculator. I hate this application and only use it as our company has adopted it for some project work. I am forced to disable it as much as possible due to its problems. This is not a minor bug this impacts thousands of desktops at our company and affects the output of these users by slowing the computers to the point they cannot be used. As I am a systems engineer I know to disable teams but many people do not even know why its happening and return pc's to be re-imaged of return to manufacturers thinking its a hardware fault. As a systems engineer this experience has proven to me I should warn all my customers to at least not implement teams until these issues are fixed. So although I must use it I have at least stopped thousands of other people suffering from this badly written software.

• Derek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Good luck with this one, efficient coding is at the bottom of Microsoft's list.

• Jeff Alan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

MS seriously needs to step up the performance optimization for Teams. I am unable to sell its use in our environment because of its slowness. We have older desktops where the latest version of any other Office apps works great, but Teams is such a pig that no one would use it. Please fix it or fire the existing dev to hire new ones who know what they are doing.

• Sean Ellis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This recent article struck a chord: http://tonsky.me/blog/disenchantment/

"A simple text chat is notorious for its load speed and memory consumption. Yes, you really have to count Slack in as a resource-heavy application. I mean, chatroom and barebones text editor, those are supposed to be two of the less demanding apps in the whole world. Welcome to 2018.

"At least it works, you might say. Well, bigger doesn’t imply better. Bigger means someone has lost control. Bigger means we don’t know what’s going on. Bigger means complexity tax, performance tax, reliability tax. This is not the norm and should not become the norm. Overweight apps should mean a red flag. They should mean run away scared."

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was hoping my new machine with 4 hyperthreading cores would solve the problem...but, nope. Teams is still the biggest hog of any application on my machine. I have a VM running and a plethora of other applications that I'd expect to be far more memory intensive. Please for the love of god help us out here.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 21 22

Feedback and Knowledge Base