How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Hide, Archive, and Delete chat threads!

Teams is way to cluttered when you have several chats. It is difficult to see new messages when they come in. I like a very clean and simple tool and if you could manage options that let you delete threads and also that would let you choose to clear all activity and history upon closing the App that would be great. As it is I have a bunch on inactive threads that are always in the activity list and they are old and not active any longer. Other than this I really like the UI and the functions of the Teams App just want to be able to clear all the junk when I want to.

Thanks!

1,457 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Matt shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
completed  ·  Warren responded  · 

Additional clarification as to what was fixed in this feature request.

This request is done except for Delete Private chat. Delete Private Chat is still Under Review and therefore will be pulled into its own topic; no decision has been made to yet if this will be done or not.

What is complete are the following:

1. Delete your own messages anywhere in Teams.
2. Team Owners can choose if users can edit/delete in their tenant as well as choose if admins have the power to delete any message posted in public channels.
3. The ability to hide your private chat threads (these are not the chat threads in channels, but the private chat threads that appear when you click the Chat icon on the left-side app bar).
4. The ability to mute your private chat threads. (these are not the chat threads in channels, but the private chat threads that appear when you click the Chat icon on the left-side app bar).

I have opened a new suggestion that targets just the ability to Delete Private Chat threads. If you want this feature, please go to this new topic and vote it up!
https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103/suggestions/33535006

-Warren

214 comments

Comments are closed
  • Antonio commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Team chat is a archaic outdated rookie version of most contemporary group / live chats. If MS wants to keep the chat history just save it to their server like they do most other things filtered thru their online tools, but at least give me the comfort of deleting the cluttered appearance from my chat history on my desktop.

• Phil Walker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Are we going to see any movement on Team owners being able to delete chat threads within channels? That's the main thing that is missing for everyone using Teams within our organisation. Currently the only way to delete the message and all replies is to ask individual users to delete their replies. The ability for owners to delete a message and all replies is massive for us.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Mute chat doesn't seem to be available on channels, this would be very helpful.

• Ryan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Teams is a wasteland of outdated junk I can't get rid. It's like having a physical desk where I'm not allowed to clear papers off of it, the papers have to keep piling higher. Maybe MSFT wants to save chats on the server, that could be ok, but I want to clear them off my desk. Not just one message at a time, not just the messages I wrote, but like a "clear" option for a whole chat. Both with individuals, with multiple people, and the "Teams" tab. Archiving would be great, like the "Save as Email" feature of Communicator, or the auto-email archiving of Lync.

• Federico commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, we need a centralized solution to archive all chat messages, the same way it was implemented in S4B on premises, to meet legal constrains
    Will that be implemented?

• Xiaojie Huang commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As I cannot delete the chat threads, too much history message leads a very slow responding. This is so unfriendly to me.

• sscarcella commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Turns out hiding did finally remove the chat but not from all users. The owner should be able to hide it from everyone.

• sscarcella commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I tried the option to hide and it does nothing. I logged out and back in and the chat is still there...

People wont use it if they cant delete it... Private chats are just that, private you should have control...

• Jon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Do Microsoft even use any of their own products? They must have a tonne of team chats listed on the left that they want to delete. Everyone else does...

• Jake Edwards commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While deletion might be not intended, users can just edit messages and blank the message (with no history as far as I can tell) and achieve the same effect.

I feel the intent of this request is to simply hide previous conversations (so that each conversation is fresh) -- perhaps with the option to view previous conversation if needed?

Very annoying not to be able to delete chat threads. Please fix this important point.

Need to be able to delete entire conversations!!! Also be able to password protect Teams so someone else cannot log in

• Randi B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Each chatter (in a specific chat) must be able to clean up/keep their own set of chat messages. What's important for me to keep is not necessarily important for the other people I'm chatting with.

• Colin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is such a daft decision and was one of the reasons we stopped using Teams and moved to Slack, despite the extra expense.

• Annoyed with teams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's completely stupid that you can't delete your own threads. Complete. Microsoft Team is pretty lame to begin with but this makes it just useless.

• Steven M commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@JoeC- Yes I am aware of the use case. I, and many other people in this thread, are trying to point out that the inability for chats to be moderated in absurd. If I have a team of 6 people and 1 decides the Jerry Maguire his way out of the company, it is just stupid that my only choice is to ask the disgruntled employee to delete their chat messages OR ask everyone else to leave that team chat and start a new one, thus losing any valuable chat history. understand it is "by design"

• Yves Rausch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for the update.
    Delete a chat or a part of it in 1:1 is totally mandatory for every solution.
    In channels it is, too, as webhook content or misleaded posts should be removeable.

• Ryan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The "Hide" option is not useful to me. When I bring back a chat with that person, all that history comes back. Maybe implement it as a "Clear" instead, so it clears all history in that chat from me ever seeing again. It wouldn't need to actually delete on the server, in case managers want to snoop my chats, but I want outdated conversations gone from my view forever.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 10 11

Feedback and Knowledge Base