How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Hyperlink any text in chat

Allow any text to be selected and a hyperlink added to it, both using Ctrl+K (standard across Office applications) and by providing a hyperlink button in the expanded compose box.

455 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

DarrellCWebster shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
completed  ·  Warren responded  · 

You can now hyperlink any text.

To do so click on the “A” icon just under the compose box, this will expand the compose box.
From the expanded view, you can type the text you wish, select the text then click the chain icon at the top of the compose box.
This will allow you to add a hyperlink to the selected text. You may also enter the text into “text to display” field in this pop up box.

Thank you for the suggestions and keep that feedback coming!

-Warren

52 comments

Comments are closed
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

what about linking to a section in the same page - called "ANCHOR" in HTML ...?? So, for example, my original wiki I'm converting to a "Teams wiki" has a table of contents, which links to the section of the wiki. I can get the "full" URL to the section of the wiki to work, but this actually reloads the page completely, landing on the section .... but in HTML you would not use the entire hyperlink to reload the same page...

• rskopal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think there is a problem if you try to paste a more complex url to suggested markdown workaround, e.g. [Bing](https://www.bing.com/?scope=web&mkt=en-WW&FORM=HDRSC1). Sometimes this workaround works:
    1) Type [Bing](
    2) Paste complex url. e.g. https://www.bing.com/?scope=web&mkt=en-WW&FORM=HDRSC1
    3) Type ) and press space (the url won't be converted to link)
    4) Press backspace two or three times until you manage to delete the last url character, in this case "1". The formatting of the url turns to black bold. (If you lose cursor focus between backspaces set it by mouse click to the end of your text)
    5) Retype the deleted url character (in this case "1"), then type ) and press space - the url will be converted to link "Bing"
    Note: If you use e.g. semicolons as url parameters separator, the text won't be recognized as url.

Is there any update on this from microsoft? I still cannot get it working when using copy and paste (I am on a Mac).

• Jim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This promise is rapidly approaching a year late now. I want to type something, hit <ctrl> K and put in my link, like everywhere else in the world. How can something be "in planning" and not have been implemented 8 months later? I can tell you that wouldn't float in my house, I'd be sleeping outside by now.

With this planned development, I really hope that MS makes it easy to create links to file in the Files tab. It seems pretty ludicrous that you can't have a conversation and link to a file in the files area. Why create two copies of a file - one in the conversation and another in the files tab? Bad, or at least MVP (emphasis on Minimum), functionality.

External URLS are great but just being able to link to the files saved in the same team site would be awesome. The URL to a file on the next tab is 5 lines long!

• Jesse commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The posted workarounds do not work for urls that need to be pasted. I.e.: http://www.samplewebsite.com/blah/category/view/id/6237/selections/15819,191630;15820,191641;15821,191645;15822,191651;15823,191654;15824,192134;15825,192135;15826,192136;15827,192137;15832,191734;15833,192305;15834,191743;15835,193539;15836,191751;15837,191753;15838,191755;15839,191756;15840,191764;15818,191768;15921,192549.

There is no way that's getting typed in by hand and the paste feature is disabled once you start the markdown with a (. Get the google url shortener extension for Chrome and you can type long URLs as https://goo.gl/sAmp13 and the markdown works fine.

Still, tho, Teams... Fix this. Users should be able to make links out of anything and why would you disable pasting!?

• Ed Eaglehouse commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"No luck with the suggested workaround. The hyperlink address remains in the message". I have the same problem. The workaround doesn't work.

• Deniz Yalcin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When writing a post, it is important to be able to hyperlink a word rather than posting a full URL. Please allow us to hyperlink words!!

• Luke Hill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Within my company, we regularly share files & folders via networked Windows drives - the "[text](link)" markup doesn't work for "file://..." links. Could you *please* add support for this? Many thanks!

• Kamil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In order to get working this workaround you must:
    1. Start typing [text]
    2.Next open ( - then it goes bold
    3. put or paste link from web
    4. close it by ) and you must use "space"
    5. your link will be ready (shorted) and then you can type what you need in message.

Not easy to figured it out :)

• Shawn Burke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No luck with the suggested workaround. The hyperlink address remains in the message

• Steve Monroe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also have trouble with the markup approach. Sometimes the it resolve to a hyperlink but 9 times out of 10 it doesn't and just remains as the full text I entered e.g. [text](urltext)

• Mitch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well, just tried it out; no luck.

You have Microsoft Teams Version 1.0.00.6701 (64-bit). It was last updated on 3/9/17.
    Do I need to be running 32bit?

Hey, I'm ecstatic that I can use Markdown for this. I remember reading that support for the markup language was being worked on, but didn't know it had been released.

While the URL button is in the works, I'll let the Markdown users know that they can start using that method, and start using it myself post-haste. Thanks!

• DarrellCWebster commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have learned that hyperlinks can be created using Markup language. i.e. [text for the link](https://theurl.com). But this isn't friendly for the typical info-worker. It's good to see that a hyperlink button is planned.

How this isn't there by default is completely baffling. If I want to have a hyperlink in chat, I have to keep a Word document open 100% of the time, just to do actual editing, then pasting into the chat. Heck, I can do hyperlinking in irc clients, for crying out loud.

• Ville commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also any other protocol should be automatically parsed as a link (protocol://....)

Feedback and Knowledge Base

You are about to visit the UserVoice site for Microsoft Teams

We have partnered with UserVoice, a 3rd party service providing public discussion forums for product-specific feedback.

By clicking "Continue to UserVoice" you agree to UserVoice's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.