How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Hyperlink any text in chat

Allow any text to be selected and a hyperlink added to it, both using Ctrl+K (standard across Office applications) and by providing a hyperlink button in the expanded compose box.

455 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

DarrellCWebster shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  Warren responded  · 

You can now hyperlink any text.

To do so click on the “A” icon just under the compose box, this will expand the compose box.
    From the expanded view, you can type the text you wish, select the text then click the chain icon at the top of the compose box.
    This will allow you to add a hyperlink to the selected text. You may also enter the text into “text to display” field in this pop up box.

Thank you for the suggestions and keep that feedback coming!

-Warren

52 comments

Comments are closed
    • Dave H commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is this also going to be available when posting via code with a webhook?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also file links such as smb://path/to/file.pdf and afp://path/to/file.pdf should work and not even the Outlook/Word workaround works with those because the linked text is not clickable, at least on desktop client for Mac.

• James commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Voted as I agree for this enhancement, the work around is to do this in Word/Outlook and then copy/paste that into Teams.

• Marc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. It should be possible to use an end-user friendly representation.

• Geert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would indeed be more user friendly to be able to format an URL to something more readable /

• Ben commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When pasting an URL into a conversation, the full URL is pasted instead of being able to enter a display name and url value.

It would be more beneficial to be able to format an URL to something more readable / user friendly.

• Andy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The workaround works for http:// and https:// links, but not for application links. Please add support for application links.

• Juan Prat commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Workaround: If you hyperlink the text in outlook and then copy and paste that linked text, Teams will kept the linked text. So that works for me, making a link post neater. Thkx!

• Ben Spead commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am trying to ease our move from Skype (not SfB) to Teams, and one of the Skype features we use frequently within our internal apps is the ability to direct call or direct chat someone via Skype. We can allow users to directly chat or call another user via a single click (for example HTML, see https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Microsoft-Teams/Hyperlinking-from-a-web-page-into-Teams-Chat/m-p/129566).

It would be extremely useful if Teams can support the same type of thing and allow a hyperlink to be formed which will launch teams and open a specific user.

Thank you for your consideration.

• Steve S commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have received complaints from users who are also Box users that say Box has the ability to send "abbreviated" links.

In the Chat-funktion I miss the possibility to put in hyperlinks in the text.

It would also be nice to link to files saved on local server, instead of uploading what would be an unnessesary copy.

• Ian Birch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Excellent!! I find myself using the MS Word Ctrl-K, cut and paste work around almost every day!

Being able to name a hyperlink makes reading conversations so much easier. Please add this to Teams

When you get a link for a document and paste it anywhere it is a very, very, very, long link name and gibberish. In all MS-Office products you can edit the text of the hyperlink to what is displayed, versus the actual link.
      Vote to bring this functionality to teams.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base