How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Fix Mac client updates

Multiple problems reported:

It seems whenever the OSX client updates, we get a "An update is ready to install. Microsoft Teams is trying to add a new helper tool." authentication request, then the app quits. Or sometime the app just quits on it's own without any notification. When it launches again, the "loading" box then sometimes doesn't disappear. I really want to roll this out for our teams to start playing with, but having the app quit on us ~10 times a day without notification makes it unusable.

On most Macs I’ve tried, the automatic update framework is pretty aggressive, and apparently cannot be unconfigured. However, it consistently fails to update the app when I’m logged in with a standard account. The app occasionally prompts for admin creds (I assume it’s making an update helper daemon), and I supply them, but the only Helper process Teams ever runs is owned by the standard account. I’m not sure exactly what to suggest here, because there are several opportunities for change, some of which might obviate usefulness of others. Ideas might be some user interaction to defer the forced relaunch during updates, options for scheduling deferred updates, options to manually supply admin credentials at each update, improve reliability around whatever helper proc is supposed to facilitate updates.

It seems every time Mac app updates itself, it stores the update file to Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Teams/tmp folder.
The update files are named as Teams_osx (1).zip, Teams_osx (2).zip etc. Each file seems to be around 80 MB. Since the Mac app updates itself constantly (microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-..), they start consuming significant amount of disk space. When I first noticed this, there was ~70GB of update files! Garbage collection would be welcome.

Every time there is an update for the desktop client (at least on Mac) the client updates automatically without prompting the user, which always seems to invalidate the session. There should be an option to prompt the user before the client is updated. (similar to how VS Code does it, perhaps)
There have been many times where teams has updated while it’s been minimized on my machine, causing me to not see any new messages until the next time I’ve manually re-opened and logged in again.

234 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jesse Ide shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    thank you!  ·  Warren responded  · 

I will be closing this topic since the feature request has been split apart into each individually requested item. This will allow you to see when items are actually closed out and moving ahead instead of having one item giving a perpetual misrepresentation of multiple pieces.

Please take the time to vote for each of these you are impacted by.

1) OSX client updates – app quits multiple times a day – https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103/suggestions/33838036

2) MAC app fails to update with standard account (needs admin creds) – https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103/suggestions/33838069 (This item is completed)

3) Update files are stored on the MAC taking up a lot of disk space – https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103/suggestions/33838114

4) Need prompt before updating on MAChttps://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103/suggestions/33838126

5) After update on MAC – notifications are missed – https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103/suggestions/33838144 (This item is due to individual organizations not using modern authentication – once modern authentication is used, this issue will no longer happen. Instructions on how to setup modern authentication can be found at – https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/msi-deployment )

Breaking these apart will allow us to clearly communicate updates for each of these concerns you have voiced.

As mentioned before, I’ll post updates to the individual topics.

-Warren

62 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I stopped MS Teams from auto-updating by redirecting their update server to localhost. Edit your /etc/hosts and add this lines:

# Suppress MS Teams upgrades
        127.0.0.1 statics.teams.microsoft.com

• Chris Bueno commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This issue has been uncovered in November 2016. We're now mid-May 2018 and no resolution? C'mon Microsoft, how hard is it for you guys to develop software?

• Daniel Q commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Come on MIcrosoft fix the bug(1). I get this message multiple time per Day. Cannot work with Teams.

• Adam Marples commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This has been a problem for how many months now? Microsoft Teams on Mac us currently UNUSABLE and has never been usable since I've installed it in January. A communication app can't just silently shut itself down every 5 minutes. Ironically it tells me it is installing updates but the team never update this issue.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Teams quits constantly during the day. I've tried making sure that my Mac user account is the owner of the Teams.app file, but that doesn't seem to help.

• Don Montalvo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"I'm typing away and suddenly my keyboard input is going nowhere"

I'm pretty sure this is an Apple design violation.

• Joshua Clark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is still a huge annoyance. Constant pop-up to install a helper. Our users are complaining about the constant pop-up.

• Steve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

as mentioned by @Mack Wong, the problem with the app stealing focus from the active window when it does an update is a problem. For me this is the most annoying aspect of the OSX teams experience and the reason I use it in a browser instead of the application.

I'm typing away and suddenly my keyboard input is going nowhere.

• T.Wilkin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also have a user that reports his MS Teams desktop app on his mac is having issues related to the updates. After the update of MS Teams the program will just sit in his dock and appears to be stuck loading. This causes him to not receive the replies from other people trying to contact him. He is on macOS 10.13.2. MS Teams version is 1.0.00.29954.

There should be a way to control the updates to MS Teams just like the other Office products via Microsoft update.

• Mack Wong commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's just one day and Teams downloaded 6.45GB of updates in /private/var/folders/. We Mac users don't need to reboot our computer a lot like Windows user do. As a result, it bloated my SSD in a week or two.

On the other hand, Teams try to keep itself updated and I can see it quits and relaunches from time to time. That also made Teams become the active app with no window in foreground while you are working on another app. That is so distracting and breaks what I'm typing.

• Jason Mayde commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there any update on the Mac updates? Because it quits, we frequently have users that will not have the application open and miss important messages.

• Nathan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Has anyone experienced Teams restarting after an update *behind* an active full-screen App, which requires taking the App you are using out of full-screen so that the Teams window can be released back to the main a screen?

• Andy Mercer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Keith Lytle, they aren't pushing updates every 5-20 minutes. What is happening is what the auto-update doesn't work. It's trying to update, failing, and trying again. What you need to do is download a fresh .app file from the web version, manually overwrite the .app file in the Applications folder.

• Keith Lytle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can the updates be slowed down to once a day from being every 5-20 minutes? I think my users would be ok with it disappearing overnight versus in the middle of their work

• t-hallenberg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Bump - This needs to be addressed. We are on the verge of having to deploy this app to a bunch of non-admin users, and this is a show stopper.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base