How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Recreate deleted channel

Deleted channels cannot be recreated. They are visible in ShaerPoint, but cannot be recreated or restored in Teams.

298 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Radoslav RadoevRadoslav Radoev shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  SuphatraAdminSuphatra (Microsoft Teams, Microsoft Teams) responded  · 

Edited!!

NOTE THIS IS FOR TEAMS, NOT CHANNELS. I’ll let the team know you’re asking for channels specifically.

If you’ve deleted an Office 365 group it’s retained, by default, for a period of 30 days. The group, which we refer to as “soft-deleted” during that period, can be restored by using PowerShell.

You can also permanently delete a soft-deleted group if you can’t wait the 30 days for the retention period to expire for the content to be permanently deleted.

IMPORTANT: If you use Remove-MsolGroup in PowerShell to delete a group, this will purge the group permanently.

When deleting groups in PowerShell it’s best practice to use Remove-AzureADMSGroup to soft-delete the O365 group.

Instructions here:
    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Restore-a-deleted-Office-365-Group-b7c66b59-657a-4e1a-8aa0-8163b1f4eb54?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

39 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Howard WrightHoward Wright commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Admin, are you reviewing this for channels as well or is there a different item I should vote for? It sounds like most of the votes here are for restoring deleted channels not teams.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just ran into this issue. A user mistakenly deleted an existing channel, and now we can neither recreate the channel nor recover the deleted channel. We need a way to recover from this situation without contacting support.

@Josh C Can you provide more information re: your comment from June 6? I've been attempting to get to a point of restoring a channel and when I run the cmdlets from your post, I get errors and info about NuGet. If I'm interpreting it correctly, it looks like I need to be running Visual Studio as well? Any assistance would be appreciated! Microsoft, can this be made more accessible?

• Nicolas CHILLESNicolas CHILLES commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't know if adding a comment to the pile will help, but in case it brings 2 cents then I'll vote for it as well. And as all the other users have written already, this is not a feature request, this is clearly a bug !

A Teams channel creates a folder on a SharePoint site. While we can delete a folder, rename it, delete it and recreate it without any problem, doing so within a Team is not possible?

Clear design flaw which is really dramatic for the business!

• Josh CJosh C commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A Teams channel is managed by Groups permissions. If you look at your groups in Admin Center portal you will see the groups associated to the teams channel. When a Team channel is deleted the group SharePoint is actually not deleted, you just loose permissions to because the group is deleted.

I was able to recover a deleted team channel by running commands from PowerShell "install-module azureADpreview" which give you access to the new Azure command-lets. The command-let I ran to view the deleted groups in Azure was "Get-AzureADMSDeletedGroup" this displays the deleted groups with the associated ID.

To restore the deleted group I ran the following command "Restore-AzureADMSDeletedDirectoryObject –Id (using the ID string from the previous command)".

Doing this will restore your permissions to the associated SharePoint group page and the group will reappear in Teams.

I am assuming there are associated command to force delete the group from azure as well so the name can be reused Teams.

• Paul MPaul M commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Need this, deleted a channel because I couldn't figure out how to disable an associated connector. Now I can't re-create the channel with the same name. Seriously has this product been tested for usability?

Seriously, this just broke all the channels I had been building in a sandbox, and then renamed, only to find the files areas not renamed so I figured I'd delete channels and recreate. Whooops, nope you can't do that. So now what?

It's difficult to believe Microsoft released without this -basic- and -fundamental- ability. Come on, we've had "rename" "delete" "undo" around for decades and it's the one thing that should have been consistent moving into Teams. Now I have to come up with all new channel names that probably won't make nearly as much sense, and then remember to -never- try to rename them, and heaven forbid I want to delete one and then re-use the name for a new channel.

Honestly this is ridiculous to still be an issue, especially with the amount of time it has been known and complained about. If M really wanted to showcase an continuous delivery development model, this would have been fixed months ago.

What's the holdup Microsoft?

I'd like this fixed this afternoon so it doesn't become a huge waste of my time, which it already has in trying to figure out why none of it works as it should right now.

• MicheleMichele commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any updates on this request?
        Thanks for the workaround, but it won't work for deleted channels.

• Daniel BriceDaniel Brice commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Workaround: Rename the channel before you delete it. Of course you need to know about this workaround before you delete the channel - but it seems that it's the last channel name is the one that you can not recreate - you can recreate the channel using its older name(s).

there was a glitch and recovering the error message for morning plz send the solution

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base