How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Recreate deleted channel

Deleted channels cannot be recreated. They are visible in ShaerPoint, but cannot be recreated or restored in Teams.

895 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Radoslav Radoev shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  AdminWarren (Microsoft Teams, Microsoft Teams) responded  · 

The restore the deleted channel is available. Here is the release note snip.

Restore a deleted channel

You’re now able to restore any channel you deleted up to 21 days after taking action (click Manage team then open the Channels tab to get started). Anyone can do this by default, but there’s a team setting that restricts restoring and deleting channels to team owners only.

Since the restore channel is available I will flag this one completed.

However, we are still working on the issue with SharePoint folder names not being synced after deleting or renaming. The UV topic tracking the SharePoint issue can be found at https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/16927219-re-using-the-same-channel-name

-Warren

110 comments

Comments are closed
    • S. MacLaren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

(don't forget that the renaming does not rename the linked folder folks. Folder naming mistakes keep getting returned as new folders after the rename).

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm unable to give channels the same name as previously created channels. When will this bug be fixed and what's behind it?

• Jurand commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I tried to recreate deleted channel, Teams say it exists. However there is no channel with that name in: Manage team deleted channels. But I found folder in Sharepoint with that name, so I deleted it there and that did not help...still can't create channel with the name I need and deleted long time ago.
      [just a feedback]

• Michael Wender commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 to Fabián's comment. The channel I need was deleted nearly a year ago, so it's not available for restore. Yet, when I try to recreate the channel, I still get the same error: "Another channel already has that name. Try a different one."

• Johanna commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Deleted channels can be restored:
      Manage Team > Channels > Active & Deleted channels are both listed
      Any deleted channels can be restored from here.

This doesn't address being able to recreate a channel with the same name as a deleted channel, but at least it's the first step. Not sure when this feature was deployed, but I've successfully restored a deleted channel.

I still can't believe this is an issue. My company will not be using Teams until this - the most BASIC function of document management - is fixed. The fact that Teams channel names and Sharepoint folder names are still not synced after deleting and/or changing the name is a deal breaker.

• Priscilla commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Does restoring channels require admin privileges? Where can they be restored from? Got stuck on this on Day 2 of using Teams.

• Alex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With the February update you are now able to restore channel within 21 days after it was deleted. This restore conversation tabs

• richard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please put in fix to re-use a name of a channel that has been deleted. It should also link to sharepoint so channels sync

• Kenny commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was bit by this on week 1 of using teams. I had just received a notification on a reply, and then opened Teams and the channel was gone! :(

• Izabela commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wow. More than a year later and this is still a problem? We're being pushed to Teams and unable to manage a growing number of users who do not know or don't understand that this will cause huge headaches as they play with their Teams. They are creating, deleting and renaming channels and document folders in Teams and SharePoint left and right.

Why would you make the UI and operations so critically dependent on NAMES and TITLES and not on GUIDS of some kind? How is that acceptable enterprise production code in 2016 (now 2018)?

• Tanya commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there any way at the moment to restore a mistakenly deleted team as it was? I have not been successful so far with this.

It is a royal pain when a new Owner accidentally deletes a channel and all procedures reference that channel name - which cannot be reused as such.

Undelete channel or Re-create deleted channel should be available to any owner, not only to the one that deleted the channel.

• A.C.Wagner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please work on this immediately as more customers are using Teams heavily in production and Restore is a normal Service Operation a Service Needs to offer!

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6

Feedback and Knowledge Base