How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Recreate deleted channel

Deleted channels cannot be recreated. They are visible in ShaerPoint, but cannot be recreated or restored in Teams.

912 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Radoslav Radoev shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

111 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I still can't believe this is an issue. My company will not be using Teams until this - the most BASIC function of document management - is fixed. The fact that Teams channel names and Sharepoint folder names are still not synced after deleting and/or changing the name is a deal breaker.

• Priscilla commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Does restoring channels require admin privileges? Where can they be restored from? Got stuck on this on Day 2 of using Teams.

• Alex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With the February update you are now able to restore channel within 21 days after it was deleted. This restore conversation tabs

• richard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please put in fix to re-use a name of a channel that has been deleted. It should also link to sharepoint so channels sync

• Kenny commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was bit by this on week 1 of using teams. I had just received a notification on a reply, and then opened Teams and the channel was gone! :(

• Izabela commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wow. More than a year later and this is still a problem? We're being pushed to Teams and unable to manage a growing number of users who do not know or don't understand that this will cause huge headaches as they play with their Teams. They are creating, deleting and renaming channels and document folders in Teams and SharePoint left and right.

Why would you make the UI and operations so critically dependent on NAMES and TITLES and not on GUIDS of some kind? How is that acceptable enterprise production code in 2016 (now 2018)?

• Tanya commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there any way at the moment to restore a mistakenly deleted team as it was? I have not been successful so far with this.

It is a royal pain when a new Owner accidentally deletes a channel and all procedures reference that channel name - which cannot be reused as such.

Undelete channel or Re-create deleted channel should be available to any owner, not only to the one that deleted the channel.

• A.C.Wagner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please work on this immediately as more customers are using Teams heavily in production and Restore is a normal Service Operation a Service Needs to offer!

• Jordan Clark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there an update on this? The inability to recover deleted channels is becoming problematic since we can't limit the permission set on who can add/delete channels.

I would also recommend adding an alert that notifies owners if a channel or tab is deleted so that once there is a restored channel solution they can restore it within the time allotted. They shouldn't have to check every week.

• Thomas Lunsford commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Here's a possible solution.

First, the following works:

1) Create channel abc
        2) Rename channel abc to abc2 (and optionally delete it)
        3) Create new channel abc (success!)

By that logic, the code that deletes a channel should be able to rename it (say, append deletion date stamp) before actually deleting it. That should solve the problem for all deletions going forward.

• Denis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello! The only question is when the functionality will be released? One year passed and no any clue on it.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6

Feedback and Knowledge Base