How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Recreate deleted channel

Deleted channels cannot be recreated. They are visible in ShaerPoint, but cannot be recreated or restored in Teams.

457 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Radoslav RadoevRadoslav Radoev shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    planned  ·  SuphatraAdminSuphatra (Microsoft Teams, Microsoft Teams) responded  · 

I know this is painful, I’m so sorry!! I know some people have done a workaround which is to delete the whole team and then follow the Office Groups steps for recovering the Group/Team, in order to get that channel back. But ugh, that’s not a good solution!

We’re figuring out how to bring this to you — it has a lot of dependencies on Engineering teams outside of our group, namely Groups and SharePoint. I’ll let you know as we progress.

Thanks for your support of Teams and please don’t hesitate to reach out to me if you need anything at all!

Sincerely,
    Suphatra

Twitter: skprufo Email: sparavimicrosoft.com

62 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Paul MPaul M commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are not deploying Teams to production precisely for this reason. Why didn't it occur to the product team that this is a necessary requirement from the very beginning?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

UGH! How was Teams even released without the restore functionality...or at least be able to restrict members from not deleting channels and teams?! URGENT FIX REQUIRED PLEASE. We've just lost plenty of data. )-:

• MikeMike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since the default settings for a Team allow Members to delete a channel, there MUST be a way to restore it. Not having that is just asking for trouble. Is there any way to change the default team settings so that Members CANNOT delete a channel?

• DrewDrew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My sysadmin passed out when someone deleted a channel by accident and found out it couldn't be restored. Luckily we revived him with bourbon. But for his sake PLEASE fix this.

• Michael WenderMichael Wender commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would be happy with the ability to merely create a new channel with the same name as a deleted channel.

Any update on this topic? Is a fix for a proper channel deletion or the recreation of deleted channels "near"?

• janejane commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To add to my comment, I'm speaking specifically to having deleted a channel and not being able to restore or create a channel with the same name

• MattMatt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any updates on this? Kind of 2 separate issues / questions...

1. Ability to restore a deleted channel specifically
        2. Ability to reuse a channel name after it has been deleted

Are either of these features on a roadmap?

A user deleted a channel in an attempt to leave it, now it can't be recovered? Pretty rough. Her privileges are "member", not "owner". If a member can delete a channel, an owner should be able to restore it.

It is extremely important to have the data restore capability of Microsoft Teams. We just hit a case in which our users accidentally deleted a Teams channel and Microsoft have no way to perform the restore. I don't think any Enterprise can accept a service component under Office 365 subscription without a proper data backup/restore mechanism, definitely it is one of the major issue Microsoft have to take priority, otherwise Enterprise should not extend the Teams usage, very danger and no data recovery guarantee to users.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base