How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Recreate deleted channel

Deleted channels cannot be recreated. They are visible in ShaerPoint, but cannot be recreated or restored in Teams.

623 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Radoslav Radoev shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    planned  ·  AdminSuphatra (Microsoft Teams, Microsoft Teams) responded  · 

I know this is painful, I’m so sorry!! I know some people have done a workaround which is to delete the whole team and then follow the Office Groups steps for recovering the Group/Team, in order to get that channel back. But ugh, that’s not a good solution!

We’re figuring out how to bring this to you — it has a lot of dependencies on Engineering teams outside of our group, namely Groups and SharePoint. I’ll let you know as we progress.

Thanks for your support of Teams and please don’t hesitate to reach out to me if you need anything at all!

Sincerely,
    Suphatra

Twitter: skprufo Email: sparavimicrosoft.com

78 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Unbelievable. How can this bug still exist? If the channel name exists, why can't I see the channel? I cannot see it, because I DELETED it. If I DELETED it, why isn't it DELETED? If it is DELETED, then how can it EXIST? Paradox that only Microsoft is capable of creating. Disappointed.

• Louis Henn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seriously guys - step it up if you want to compete in this market. This is basically functionality that should be available from the start. How am I to test a product if once I deleted a channel, I can't reuse the name? What if a team within a department changes their name? Can't rename because it breaks the link to the folder on SharePoint. Think these things through and through and ask yourself what the end-user is going to do/expect.

Just encountered this error and i am stunned. With issues like this in Teams, I feel like this is a Beta product.

• Jason W commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Seth
        That is for recovering an entire Team that's been deleted, not a channel within a Team.

• LozzieD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This might help if you've created some channels and want to delete them, but don't want to be blocked in re-using the same channel name.

If you rename a channel you wish to delete before deleting it, then the name that is blocked is not the original name of the channel, but rather the new name you've given the channel.

So for example, if you generate a guid (on the basis that you'll never actually use this guid for a channel name), rename the channel using the guid, then delete the channel. Then the guid will be blocked as a name for future use as a channel name in the Team, but the original name of the channel can be re-used.

Every time you delete a channel you can rename the channel using the same guid in every case, if you wish. Teams doesn't mind you deleting a channel that has the same name as one already deleted (in this case, the repeatedly used guid). So only one channel name in the whole namespace of channels in a Team is only ever blocked - the guid name.

You could use "Deleted channel" or some other more familiar and never to be used name instead of a guid for the name you rename channels to before deleting them. Tthen only "Deleted channel" is blocked in the Team's namespace.

In the case where you generate guids for each renaming of a channel before deletion, you could then rename the SharePoint channel folder left over in the documents library of the SP site associated with the Team using the guid. Otherwise recreating a channel with the same name will use that pre-existing folder - which you might want to occur, if so, do that then and leave the folder.

You could document this protocol / procedure to your Teams users. This has the disadvantage that they will consider you a sadistic psychopath for ever foisting such a deficient product upon them. But then you've probably already done that before by proposing other MS products, right?

• Robert Nagy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please fix. My company would like to use MS Team but it is important to be able to recover deleted channels.

Please

• Leon de Rooij commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was able to restore a deleted channel: at least I was a able to restore a planner board which was connected to the channel. How?
        1. Add a channel
        2. Use the exact same name of the channel
        3. You get a message that this is not possible
        4. Remove the name and use the name again.
        5. The same name is now accepted (how I don't know).
        Next I added a planner board. I got the choice to create a new planner of use existing ones (whit in the team) and voila!! I was able to choice the planner which was deleted with the channel.
        Well, this was the way that worked for me. I hope this way will work for others.

Hello, Microsoft!

The ability to restore deleted items is absolutely fundamental to administering a system. So is the ability to -prevent- deletions. Not having this is entirely unacceptable.

• guest commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please fix. For a deleted channel you should save who deleted the channel.
        If it was a channel owner(s), it is then the question if only the one who deleted the channel should be able to recover the channel, or any channel owner. What is certain is that an accidentally deleted channel should be recoverable (there can be so many informations being deleted within a channel, a channel must be recoverable (the only question is by who)).

• Stephen White commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can the default account be set to not have the ability to delete channels until this issue is resolved?

• Vinny Troia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This isn't a small oversight. Not being able to delete/re-create channels is a pretty major item. And its still only PLANNED. It will take at least 6 months for the functionality to add a team site with a previously deleted name??

• Paul M commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are not deploying Teams to production precisely for this reason. Why didn't it occur to the product team that this is a necessary requirement from the very beginning?

UGH! How was Teams even released without the restore functionality...or at least be able to restrict members from not deleting channels and teams?! URGENT FIX REQUIRED PLEASE. We've just lost plenty of data. )-:

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since the default settings for a Team allow Members to delete a channel, there MUST be a way to restore it. Not having that is just asking for trouble. Is there any way to change the default team settings so that Members CANNOT delete a channel?

• Drew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My sysadmin passed out when someone deleted a channel by accident and found out it couldn't be restored. Luckily we revived him with bourbon. But for his sake PLEASE fix this.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base