How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Use the user Alias instead of DisplayName in mentions

Hi,
When mentioning someone with @, is it possible to use the user alias instead of the Display Name? In Slack for example, it is possible to choose whether to display the full name or the user name when being mentioned. Could be great to have it on MS Teams because it is shorter in messages where many mentions are provided.

414 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

David GROSPELIER shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

42 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I mean, really. This is a no-brainer.

You want PEOPLE to use your tools? Then don't design them for @Bot, Worker.

• Jan van den Hurk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is really a must have. Especially in a "Surname, First name" environment.
        Slack is more user friendly in this aspect.

• Ian Caldwell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 Agreed, user set nickname would be good - or else the mentions need to be shown in a different way. We have an international workforce, so for our Thai users, nicknames are key.

• Wil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 on this. At my organization, they add in our parent co. AND business unit acronyms in our display name which ends up with a terribly unsightly @mention...if you have two last names and a middle name...forget about it..

"Last [2nd last], First [Middle] [UHQ] [BIZ]"

This needs to be editable asap

• Steven Collier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed, this is required like Yammer! A user controllable alias in the UI while retaining admin level access to the real UPN. In fact, just allow display name to be editable and not synced from on premises.

• MC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Hannu As long as the admin can override no problem. You don't want to start looking inside your organisation for people based on nick names they can keep on changing. It'll be a game of hide and seek!

• Hannu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This should be customisable by the person (not only by admin). For example I prefer to be known by my first name, there are people who are only known by a nickname not first or last name...

Ideally you would choose this from a teams setting for yourself and still more ideally by "teamspace". So for customer oriented the nickname could be your first name and in other teamspaces something else...

The current approach is very unchatlike and looking formal/bureaucratic...

• Kevin Rupe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would love to see this simple fix put into place also. It is especially "cluttery" (is that a word?) when you want to tag multiple individuals!

Its honestly a great idea. Makes things so much more simple and enjoyable. It does not sound like too much of a job. I wonder the reason for it not to be implemented is.

Personally, I find this a real annoyance especially when we use last name, first name.

I know that Azure DevOps (Visual Studio Team Services) allows you to authenticate with your 365/Azure AD account but then update your display name and profile picture independently to your network account. I would love to see this in Teams too.

• Bobby Sells commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also chiming in to say users should be able to create their own alias/nickname like nearly every other team chat application allows.

• MC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With all respect, Gary, this is what we (and lots of people here no doubt) have been doing as a workaround, but that's not sustainable. Especially if the first name is formal (say your name was Gareth but you want your colleagues to call you Gary), or it's set in a different way in the admin panel.

This is by no means resolved. And it's as important as it was from the moment this idea was shared, 2 YEARS AGO!!

• Gary commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Everyone and MS Teams Product Owner,
        I believe this has been completed. The Teams app that I have implemented this like the Following:

@ Mention the person as usual and hit enter. If you'd like to remove the last/surname name, simply hit backspace to remove it. It keeps the connection to the user that you @ mentioned.

We have situations where people are referred to by their middle names, not first/last. Using backspace helps a bit, but we are still stuck with @<first><middle> instead of being able to say @<custom display name>

• Mikael Lundin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It should be a setting in Teams what happens when you push backspace after a mention. If you are using "Lastname, Firstname" as displayname it should remove "Lastname" instead of "Firstname" when you push backspace. If you push backspace it means that you want to be less formal and then it always should be "Firstname" left after the @-sign...

• Erin Bordeau commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I work with students who are transitioning to a new name and this needs to be editable by the Team Owner ASAP. It is embarrassing for David to be posting as "Emily" and highly confusing for the entire class!

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base