How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Let me @ Mention the user's first name instead of their DisplayName

Hi,
When mentioning someone with @, is it possible to use the user alias instead of the Display Name? In Slack for example, it is possible to choose whether to display the full name or the user name when being mentioned. Could be great to have it on MS Teams because it is shorter in messages where many mentions are provided.

726 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

David GROSPELIER shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

77 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Ian Yates commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This exists somewhat already. For a user "John Smith" I can type @Joh and get the "John Smith" text auto-inserted. I can then backspace out the "Smith" in one keystroke.
        It's not a nickname, but it is shorter and tends to read better.

Someone here suggested to make this work like Facebook - this is exactly how I've seen Facebook work so at least there's precedent.

• T.v. Vignesh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am awaiting this feature as well - really difficult to use mentions in mail and team because of this.

• Richard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think the functionality we would like is akin to that of Facebook: you enter the name so it's identified, then you can delete either part of the name as you wish, but the remaining text stays linked to the user.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How is this a request since 2016. It's like you don't want to complete with Slack/Rocket Chat.

• Bob Luursema commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am very much in favor! My organization uses "Lastname, Initials. (Given name)". Nicknames would be much better.

• MC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think it's time for an update from MICROSOFT on this easy-to-fix frustration! Is anyone from Microsoft seeing this?

• Jess commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm fed up of being full-named. I feel like my mother is talking to me not my colleagues. Allow the nickname

I mean, really. This is a no-brainer.

You want PEOPLE to use your tools? Then don't design them for @Bot, Worker.

• Jan van den Hurk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is really a must have. Especially in a "Surname, First name" environment.
        Slack is more user friendly in this aspect.

• Ryan Van Cleave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It appears the DisplayName attribute is being used to generate the text for greetings and initials.

This creates a poor user experience for users with a display name that is not "FirstName LastName".

For example,

FirstName = "Beth"
        LastName = "Burke"
        DisplayName = "Dr. Beth Burke"

Teams Notification:
        "Hi, Dr.
        Your teammates are trying to reach you..."

Another example (my own):

FirstName = "Ryan"
        LastName = "Van Cleave"
        DisplayName = "Van Cleave, Ryan (FIT)"

Teams:
        "Hi, Van
        Your teammates are trying to reach you..."

Some may find it slightly annoying, but customers have begun to complain about this. While trying to drive adoption of Teams, this is impacting the reception by users, especially when the "Dr." is a CIO...

Best regards,
        Ryan Van Cleave

• Ian Caldwell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 Agreed, user set nickname would be good - or else the mentions need to be shown in a different way. We have an international workforce, so for our Thai users, nicknames are key.

• Wil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 on this. At my organization, they add in our parent co. AND business unit acronyms in our display name which ends up with a terribly unsightly @mention...if you have two last names and a middle name...forget about it..

"Last [2nd last], First [Middle] [UHQ] [BIZ]"

This needs to be editable asap

When @mentioning someone using their full name doesn't feel friendly. I nearly always backspace to remove the Lastname portion. Doing so makes the message flow better.
        There are times when this isn't possible, for example if there are multiple people with the same first name - so simply removing the Lastname segment isn't appropriate. For example in my team we have Dave O, Dave C, Dave L, being able to specify how each prefers to be @mentioned would be much better

• Steven Collier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed, this is required like Yammer! A user controllable alias in the UI while retaining admin level access to the real UPN. In fact, just allow display name to be editable and not synced from on premises.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base