How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Use the user Alias instead of DisplayName in mentions

Hi,
When mentioning someone with @, is it possible to use the user alias instead of the Display Name? In Slack for example, it is possible to choose whether to display the full name or the user name when being mentioned. Could be great to have it on MS Teams because it is shorter in messages where many mentions are provided.

225 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

David GROSPELIER shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

30 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Bobby Sells commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also chiming in to say users should be able to create their own alias/nickname like nearly every other team chat application allows.

• MC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With all respect, Gary, this is what we (and lots of people here no doubt) have been doing as a workaround, but that's not sustainable. Especially if the first name is formal (say your name was Gareth but you want your colleagues to call you Gary), or it's set in a different way in the admin panel.

This is by no means resolved. And it's as important as it was from the moment this idea was shared, 2 YEARS AGO!!

• Gary commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Everyone and MS Teams Product Owner,
        I believe this has been completed. The Teams app that I have implemented this like the Following:

@ Mention the person as usual and hit enter. If you'd like to remove the last/surname name, simply hit backspace to remove it. It keeps the connection to the user that you @ mentioned.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have situations where people are referred to by their middle names, not first/last. Using backspace helps a bit, but we are still stuck with @<first><middle> instead of being able to say @<custom display name>

• Mikael Lundin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It should be a setting in Teams what happens when you push backspace after a mention. If you are using "Lastname, Firstname" as displayname it should remove "Lastname" instead of "Firstname" when you push backspace. If you push backspace it means that you want to be less formal and then it always should be "Firstname" left after the @-sign...

• Erin Bordeau commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I work with students who are transitioning to a new name and this needs to be editable by the Team Owner ASAP. It is embarrassing for David to be posting as "Emily" and highly confusing for the entire class!

• MC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Every single day this is driving us crazy and it's apparently still not even being reviewed! It's so simple. What's happening with this Microsoft? Can we get some more votes please!!

Ideally, the Teams admin for each company would be able to choose which directory attributes they wish to display, or even override the display name with data from our HR system. Tagging someone with @Lastname, Firstname is really awkward in a conversation format, when no one actually converses that way.

• Michael Johnson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In my company the AD is set to Lastname / Firstname so in Teams we get initials the wrong way round. This causes all sorts of confusion and is really slowing adoption of Teams. We need to have the ability to use an Alias in there.

• Matt Humphrey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Providing nicknames or simply mention aliases is essential, especially for all of the departing HipChat users.

• Chris Anderson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You don't talk to "Christensen, Charles" at work, you talk to your boy Chuck.

This is too formal for chat.

• Drew Hamilton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't be the only person in the world to go by a different name to his colleagues than to his customers. My full name as my clients see in my email is Andrew, but I prefer that my colleagues call me Drew. I can't find any way to make it show up that way in Teams. I'm really disappointed, it feels very clinical and cold compared with Slack.

• Doug Perreault commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Tomas Bergvall, this hasn't actually been implemented as we'd like. In your case maybe you can just backspace to get just the first name. In my case I get the person's last name, then first name then their division. I have to backspace over the division then go back to the space before the first name and delete the last name. This is REALLY cumbersome to do on every post. It would be far better if we could set up a display name in our profile so that when we mention someone it uses that name in the post instead of the AD name. You can always hover over the name to see the AD name if needed.

Could an option be added to use a different attribute from AD when using @mentions? For instance, the DisplayNamePrintable attribute.

On a separate note, where could we ask MS about the fact that AD does not have a "nickname" attribute, but it does have attributes for birthplace and favorite drink?

• Sara H commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Tomas Bergvall, Yes, You can edit a name after its been put into a chat, but it is very cumbersome (at least at my company). We use LAST_NAME, FIRST_NAME (DIVISION). So to get just first name, you have to backspace and then move your curser to before the FIRST_NAME and then backspace again. More often then not it ends up canceling the mention, so you have to start over. Very painful.

• Ron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wow... not the experience I was expecting. I feel like I'm talking to an automaton, Smith, Bob.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base