How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Team Opt Out - (Assign members to channels, not automatically)

I might have a team called IT and channels of IT projects. So assigning members to channels would be great, since it's not the same for each project (channels).

Primary ask is to be able to set a Team to "Opt Out" and therefore not automatically join team members to every channel under that specific Team.

Users would have the ability to invite others users to channels. (Or as an Admin, add people to channels as needed.)

367 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Morten Jonsen shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
declined  ·  Warren responded  · 

This request has been declined by the feature team.

Private channels may help with items such as this request once they are released. The Private channel topic is tracked at http://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103/suggestions/16911079

Please note the handling of “Guest Accounts” is a separate ask and can be found at: https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/16911109-guest-access

The request about “Guest Access at the Channel” level is being tracked by this request: https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/31374577-guest-access-should-be-implemented-at-the-channel

Thank you all for the feedback.
-Warren

92 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Raja commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have Markettig Team but we have different projects happening under marketting team. For eah project we have created a channel. We want the ability that each Channel we should be able assign members from Marketting team. Currently all members get assigned to Channel and there is no way to remove them and later add more members from team.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i'd like it if when we created a subchannel. that we could only invite certain members. of the main channel. we have peer advisory teams where we mentor 5 or 6 individuals out of our group of 30. we'd like to lock down that subchannel so only the 5 or 6 and the team leads can access. this way they can do an @channel name and not notify 50 people just those in the channel

My team has over 30 members and there are some channels that apply to all of us. But then there are more specific topics where we may create a channel that applies to only 10 of the 30 members. I would like members to be able to "join" or "subscribe" to specific channels. Then using the "@<channel name>" would only notify those members who've subscribed/join and not spam all 30 team members.

• Josh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Similar to others who have posted we have needs on our existing teams to limit channels to a subset of team members as well as have channels that include people who are not members of the team. We have organizational and functional teams that have many small projects that can be managed in a channel. These small projects often include people outside of the core team, that should not have access to the other channels. We would prefer not to create 20-30 MS teams where channels would suffice.

Management of “invited channels”: If you are invited to a channel but not the entire team the channel could appear in a “Guest team" that would aggregate all of the channels where you are not a team member.

• Morten Jonsen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Suphatra ... when we have a new project, we set up a new team for this project.

Let's say the project (team) is called "CRM". In this team I have a "Management" channel which only management members should have access to - I also have an "IT" channel, which only certain members should have access to etc.

So I want to be able to specify members for each channel.

• Tim Bottoms commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For me this means that for each channel that is created, you can assign certain members of the team to them. Only members that are assigned to a channel will have access to it.

Having a separate discussion with a select few outside of teams does work in some occasions. However, when you have a team established (for whatever project) it is extremely helpful to make sure all conversations related to the project are housed in same space. So having the ability to select which individuals need to be part of which channel of the specific Team would be a great value added (and in my case a huge need).

• JD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How can I invite people using DL? When I use '@' I am only getting individual people, not DLs.

• Stace Hamilton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If i have a private team of 3 members I would like the ability to add a random person to a channel in that private team but should not be part of the team. thank you.

• Eduardo Spitzner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think is a preferred approach to provide the functionality to limit the acces of each channel.
    Some channels can't be seen by the entire team.
    Some channels can be particular to a few members and I don't want to create an enormous number of Teams, one for each team combination.

• JohnTM commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think this is a preferred approach to provide the same functionality outlined in "Allow different notifications options on teams and channels" feedback.

A team should have (default read only?) permission to a channel but we should be able to assign specific members to a channel.

Scenario: We have a team of 10 people with different skillsets. A variable combination of people is assigned depending on the particular project (channel) requirements.

1 2 3 5 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base

You are about to visit the UserVoice site for Microsoft Teams

We have partnered with UserVoice, a 3rd party service providing public discussion forums for product-specific feedback.

By clicking "Continue to UserVoice" you agree to UserVoice's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.