How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Team Opt Out - (Assign members to channels, not automatically)

I might have a team called IT and channels of IT projects. So assigning members to channels would be great, since it's not the same for each project (channels).

Primary ask is to be able to set a Team to "Opt Out" and therefore not automatically join team members to every channel under that specific Team.

Users would have the ability to invite others users to channels. (Or as an Admin, add people to channels as needed.)

367 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Morten Jonsen shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
declined  ·  Warren responded  · 

This request has been declined by the feature team.

Private channels may help with items such as this request once they are released. The Private channel topic is tracked at http://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103/suggestions/16911079

Please note the handling of “Guest Accounts” is a separate ask and can be found at: https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/16911109-guest-access

The request about “Guest Access at the Channel” level is being tracked by this request: https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/31374577-guest-access-should-be-implemented-at-the-channel

Thank you all for the feedback.
-Warren

92 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Eliot Attridge commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

From an education sector perspective, I want to be able to have a class team, but then within that have a teacher only section that the students within that team cannot see. In terms of efficiency and ease of use we do not want to create multiple Teams- we want channels. This would also enable staff to allocate channels for specific small groups of students who are working together on assessments, for example.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, Suphatra
    As a Team Owner I need to be able to myself Add or Remove a user to/from a given channel.
    That is , I should set or un-set as "Favourite" a channel on that user's behalf - if that is a channel they should not be part of, or if they abuse it.

• Dee Eldridge commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yes this is very useful as teams sometimes have a subset of team. A great example could be people and culture. They might have sub teams that work on different areas with different sensitivities. I.e the recruitment team might be a part of that but also facilities. People seeing facilities should not see recruitment, but its nice to have it roled up into one team with substreams.

This would be super helpful. Here's an example: Management team as its own Team. One of the channels is focused on key performance indicators. Team would like data analyst to do some visualizations. It would be helpful to grant the data analyst access to the KPI channel, without giving her permission to the entire Team content. Right now, the only way to do this is to create another Team, which can become unwieldy.

• Johanna commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Use case: I would like to have a Team for all projects in a certain region, for instance, and then each Channel would be for a specific client project. Preferably, only certain team members would be assigned to a Channel, though they are all members of the Team. I have 70+ projects that will be fulfilled by a combination of the same 10 or so people. I can't imagine setting up and managing individual Teams for each individual project (though for larger projects, maybe I should break them out into their own Team)

• Vernon Jones commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi. Can we get an update on this?

This is similar to:
    - https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/16954120-nested-teams-and-subchannels
    - https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/16911079-support-for-private-channels

Also, assigning non-team members to channels would help in reducing the amount of teams to create, which can get out of hand with a bunch of one-offs.

Thanks!

Dominique explained perfectly how I would like to see this operate. One Team with Channels that can be set for sub-teams derived from the larger group (in the main channel).
    Any news on progress of this item?

• Roque commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree on request and see it differently on public/private teams.
    I have several teams. Within each team we can have different channels but it is not required all team members in each channel. We are interested to have limited "audience" per some channels (without requiring to create new Team)

• Steven Ricks commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, I have a team with a few channels in it. I would like to add users to the channel that are not in the team. Is that possible?

Steve.

• HW2 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dominique described it perfectly for me.
    Right now we have to have a team for every possible subset and grouping of team members. For instance our IT team has one Team called "IT: General" for their general information sharing and items that ALL members need access to. But for Projects within IT, we have to have separate teams, rather than separate channels with controllable membership.

• Martin Schmidt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A perfect example is when you have a team who has to create rapid action teams to solve specific issues. It would be helpful to create a channel inside their own team for each issue and invite people who need to participate on solving these issues. They might not be part of the Team itself and the Team might not want those users to access all the channels on the team. Another way to solve this is to create separate Team for this, but it might be an overkill.

• Iain Scott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I believe this means channel membership could be a sub-set of the team members assigned by the channel creator.

If that is the case, this would be very useful in managing communications and sharing, and avoiding unnecessary alerts and messages for members of large teams.

• David Andersson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with Matej Kastner. What I need, and how I interpret this suggestion, is that a team owner should be able to add and remove favorite channels for other members.

I just created a meeting in a channel that only is relevant to the 3 persons using that channel. But there are 20 team members that still has the channel as favorite, and they recieve invitations to the meeting and get notifications when I @mention the channel. Even if I ask them to "unfavorite" the channel everybody doesn't do that.

Or could you find another way to address members more accurately? I want to be able to @mention different groups of members, and today I can only do this by creating different channels for them and then ask them to unfavorite all that are irrelevant. Which of course far from everybody will do.

• Valentin Brard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Channels really behave very differently from the way they do in slack. In slack, you have to actively join a channel to see it in the list of channels. In teams, as soon as you're in a team, you see the full list of channels in that team. That will very quickly become unmanageable. In a slack team I'm a member of, there are about 60 public channels. Most of them are project specific. Most people only join when they are involved in a specific project. In teams, we would all see that full list of 60 channels... That is not manageable. It seems that you need to untie teams from channels so people can join channels independently from being in a team.

• Joe C commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a must. There a growing number of problems associated with not being able to change membership by Channel within a Team. One use case I just detailed on a Planner related item is as follows....

Using Planner within Teams you notify the ENTIRE Team about comments made to tasks within the board. If you have different projects as different channels and only care about a given Channel it gets quite tiresome and spammy to continuously receive emails about other Planner board. This needs to get fixed to only notifying the users assigned to task and comment originator. This again is another use case for having different membership groups by Channel.

• Chris Webb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Most of this request is split about private channels and shared channels. Both are being worked on per principal PM of teams from Ignite session this week.

• Dominique Aboudaram commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same for us (2 examples)
    example 1 :
    TEAM = PROJECTS : all technical team in it
    Channel PROCEDURES = all team has to see it
    Channel PROJECT 1 = group of 3 people ( john /jim / caroline)
    Channel PROJECT 2 = another group ( stephanie / bill)
    If the projects are small it is too much to have one team per project

Or another example
    TEAM COMPLIANCE
    Channel 1 : Active Policies ( all company has to have the info)
    Channel 2 : project GDPR ( only gdpr Team working on it so far)

Ideally in the future
    TEAM : MY BIG PROJECT WITH CLIENT INTERACTION
    Channel 1: Client INFO (Shared with client)
    Channel 2: Internal Technical ( tech related info)
    Channel 3 Internal Sales ( sales related info)

And for Xmass present : link to Dynamics...

Feedback and Knowledge Base

You are about to visit the UserVoice site for Microsoft Teams

We have partnered with UserVoice, a 3rd party service providing public discussion forums for product-specific feedback.

By clicking "Continue to UserVoice" you agree to UserVoice's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.