How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Team Opt Out - (Assign members to channels, not automatically)

I might have a team called IT and channels of IT projects. So assigning members to channels would be great, since it's not the same for each project (channels).

Primary ask is to be able to set a Team to "Opt Out" and therefore not automatically join team members to every channel under that specific Team.

Users would have the ability to invite others users to channels. (Or as an Admin, add people to channels as needed.)

366 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Morten Jonsen shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
declined  ·  Warren responded  · 

This request has been declined by the feature team.

Private channels may help with items such as this request once they are released. The Private channel topic is tracked at http://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103/suggestions/16911079

Please note the handling of “Guest Accounts” is a separate ask and can be found at: https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/16911109-guest-access

The request about “Guest Access at the Channel” level is being tracked by this request: https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/31374577-guest-access-should-be-implemented-at-the-channel

Thank you all for the feedback.
-Warren

91 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Daniel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a bad idea that would alienate more people from teams. Your nostalgia is not worth the ruin and abandonment of this project.

• Roque commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As per my needs, what Warren suggested should wokr.
    When join a team, do not instaltnly be added to every channel. Admin, user can join channels.

• Chris Anderson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This request was posted in 2016 and now it's 2018 and we are still waiting for this feature to be implemented.

Why is this taking so long Microsoft?

This will probably be a game changer when it comes to structuring Teams/Channels.

Just my thoughts....

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely. But also to add Members from others Teams, that is, Members in the Office 365 platform. Even members (not capitalized) from groups outside of the corporation (i.e. vendors, etc.)

• Tatsu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, and it would be great if any user can invite any other user to any public channel.

My concern is external guest handling. Adding guests to a team is not granular enough. Guests need to be handled on channel level. So invite need to happen at channel level in my view. No issues that internal team members can join and leave channel as described. +1

• Sasja Beerendonk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with the assumption. Helps employees to focus oy on relevant channels amd not eb overwhelmed with information they don’t need.

My concern is more on how messages are send... I want to speak only to people who are relevant on channel level not team level.

• HW2 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I believe so.. yes. We should be able to have private channels that are restricted to only invited members - which others in the main GENERAL team can't see.. and other channel invites that might be open to be viewed by non-invited members, but that they aren't officially a part of. They don't get notified of new posts, you can't call them outspecifically. I use Favorites differently, and to help organize my personal view.

• Cheryl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We would like to have a Team with channels that have different members. If you were a member of the Team and not a member of that channel you would not see that channel information. The general channel would be the only "shared" channel for the Team.

• Adin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, channels should be opt-in and owners should be able to assign users to channels individually.

• Sds commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be great to be able to remove people from certain channels or create private channels that only certain team members can see.

• Tatsu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just like what happens on slack, I definitely need to be able to invite someone to a channel, and also would like to see pop-up for inviting someone when I mention someone who is not in that channel yet.
    By inviting someone, I mean setting the channel "favorite" for that person so the channel appears on his/her favorite channel list.

• Eliot Attridge commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

From an education sector perspective, I want to be able to have a class team, but then within that have a teacher only section that the students within that team cannot see. In terms of efficiency and ease of use we do not want to create multiple Teams- we want channels. This would also enable staff to allocate channels for specific small groups of students who are working together on assessments, for example.

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base