How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Backup, export, printing, archive options

Can Teams chat and activities data be exported, printed, archived, and backed up/restored? Within Sharepoint or elsewhere? This could be necessary for a few reasons both during projects and for historical records.

130 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

23 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Printing Conversations is critical.

Ultimately printing by date range and/or flagged messages would be incredibly helpful too!

• Rich Clancey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is hard to believe that there is no documentation covering how to do what is being suggested here. I've been stumbling through the security and compliance center without a clue, trying to find out how to access chat data from teams. Where can I find this information?

My organization needs to save approvals for sale orders and I cant get them to use Microsoft teams with them being able to save the conversations on our server to specific folders. basically need an easy export option for users.

• Paul S commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi there... I'm creating a team to keep track of all the projects my company are delivering, of which there are around 50-60. I need to create a channel for each, but I need to be able to archive and access the channel once those projects are complete, as otherwise, the 'live projects' list will become too long unwieldy. Suphatra's response above suggests that only IT admins have the ability to do this, so my question is, if I needed to access a completed project's channel, if IT have archived it, and then they restore it, does that just add it back into the 'live projects' team area?

• Marc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was thinking about using Microsoft Teams as an "even tracker" tool, so that anybody in the team could add new entries about anything done on the production environment to some kind of channel (production channel, lab channel, etc).
        However, this can't be achieved unless the excel export is available, as input data needs to be processed afterwards.

We need the ability to search, download, and print - and not rely on administrators to do that. This is true in chats as well as teams/channels. This is particularly true when we need to interface with 3rd parties.

• Paul Davis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need this sort of functionality for threads so that the communication can be imported and attached to our ticketing system as we already do for email communications. This would mean that the ability to export would have to be usable by non-administrative staff...

• Wayne Yan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Alternate visualizations can be important for reporting purposes. Thus export out of planner and/or teams channel history will allow us to do our own vizualizations to serve custom needs. This might be even better if addressed by REST API. That way I can do programmatic extraction, transformation and vizualization.

• David Cheeseman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature is highly desired for us from a compliance perspective and/or if we need to use it for legal reasons. Additionally, I'm not sure how Teams can be inside the FedRAMP boundary without such a tool and where deleted messages are only retained for at most 30 days.

• Gavin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really wish the Microsoft comments we get via Uservoice came with a little documentation!

If you have backup, export and printing of Conversations or Channels or Teams, please let us know where and how!

Thanks.

• Michael Kulpa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi v-brorob,
        Is there any documentation on how to backup and export a Team/Channel/Conversation? I've not seen this facility anywhere, is it new?

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base