How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Allow on premise bots

By allowing bots which are hosted "on premise" (behind a company firewall), one allow to access systems from that company.
This is the situation for many companies where the infrastructure or services which need to be reachable by bots is not on the public internet.

Some scenarios:
- A bot is running behind a company firewall
- The bot connects to MS teams, joins a channel, and "listens" to conversations (outbound connection to the internet)

This enables interactions like:
- @bot, list defects (from an in-house issue tracker)
- @bot, add capacity to applicationx (after an authorization phase, on-prem application gets more servers for more capacity)
- [bot]> caution! applicationx experiences a 20% performance hit

283 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Olivier Jacques shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

43 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
An error occurred while saving the comment
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Without this feature adoption would be very limited and fragmented in our organisation. Large corporates tend to have more than one solution through aquisitions and multiple dev teams, please consider this when evaluating priority.

Major customer here -- looking to get ChatOps going for Teams --- it is a key developer experience requirement. Please prioritise.

• Stefano Lanzavecchia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Over the months the rank of this issue has been going down and down and down. I don't think it's because of a lack of interest, but because those who needed the feature could not wait any more and went for another solution instead (*cough* slack *cough*). I am still hoping this will see the light of day one day...

• J. Warwick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For my company, it may not be as "critical" as it apparently is for others, but I can say that it would help drive adoption of Teams, and would allow us to deliver some internal services and get some more extensive integration with the MS business suite. We definitely have specific use cases where this would be a viable, maybe preferred UI.

We need on-premises connectivity to bots to make Teams a ChatOps replacement for Hipchat. We are being forced to look at spending several hundred thousand dollars for Slack because Teams lacks a basic ChatOps feature. This is money we won't have to spend on other Microsoft services. Is there anything that can be done quickly utilizing Azure Application Proxies?

Chat is for chatops. If I can't do this where I need to host a boy, there's no way this tool will become effective. Utterly necessary and a required feature. Please put this into the backlog and prioritize it!

• Bernard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any news on this feature? We have bots that works upon Slack's RTM API (websockets) and it works nicely.
    People can interact in a bi-directional way with processes hosted internally.
    Head office is pushing Teams, but people are reluctant to use it, because internal bots cannot be ported over.

• Ben Raubenolt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Pet peeve. In the context of "on-premises", premise is not the singular of premises. They are completely different words with different meanings. Shame on the lazy "journalists" that published some articles using cloud vs premise and made so many engineers looks stupid by copying them.

• Brian Reid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seriously....2 years and you can't make a decision? Doesn't look good for a company that won't make a decision in 2 years or at least post it.

• Josh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be great! Security probably wouldn't let us have it take inputs that can make changes on the network, but if we could have an internal bot that would report outages from within our intranet, and allow us to query that from within teams, it would be quite useful

Any update on this guys? It is the biggest feature missing from the offering in my opinion and will scupper the Teams adoption effort in my current organisation (where we use Slack and it’s bot framework)

• Karl Dietz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Now that Teams is being offered for free and promoted as Slack alternative (at least in german press) can support for on-premise bots be revisited?

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base

You are about to visit the UserVoice site for Microsoft Teams

We have partnered with UserVoice, a 3rd party service providing public discussion forums for product-specific feedback.

By clicking "Continue to UserVoice" you agree to UserVoice's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.