How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Allow on premise bots

By allowing bots which are hosted "on premise" (behind a company firewall), one allow to access systems from that company.
This is the situation for many companies where the infrastructure or services which need to be reachable by bots is not on the public internet.

Some scenarios:
- A bot is running behind a company firewall
- The bot connects to MS teams, joins a channel, and "listens" to conversations (outbound connection to the internet)

This enables interactions like:
- @bot, list defects (from an in-house issue tracker)
- @bot, add capacity to applicationx (after an authorization phase, on-prem application gets more servers for more capacity)
- [bot]> caution! applicationx experiences a 20% performance hit

240 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Olivier Jacques shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

34 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Bernard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any news on this feature? We have bots that works upon Slack's RTM API (websockets) and it works nicely.
        People can interact in a bi-directional way with processes hosted internally.
        Head office is pushing Teams, but people are reluctant to use it, because internal bots cannot be ported over.

• Ben Raubenolt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Pet peeve. In the context of "on-premises", premise is not the singular of premises. They are completely different words with different meanings. Shame on the lazy "journalists" that published some articles using cloud vs premise and made so many engineers looks stupid by copying them.

• Brian Reid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seriously....2 years and you can't make a decision? Doesn't look good for a company that won't make a decision in 2 years or at least post it.

• Josh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be great! Security probably wouldn't let us have it take inputs that can make changes on the network, but if we could have an internal bot that would report outages from within our intranet, and allow us to query that from within teams, it would be quite useful

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any update on this guys? It is the biggest feature missing from the offering in my opinion and will scupper the Teams adoption effort in my current organisation (where we use Slack and it’s bot framework)

• Karl Dietz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Now that Teams is being offered for free and promoted as Slack alternative (at least in german press) can support for on-premise bots be revisited?

• Olivier Jacques commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Warren, having team chat and other Microsoft Teams capabilities without this is totally missing the ChatOps train. Should we look at hosting a mattermost or something equivalent in parallel for ChatOps use cases because MS Teams does not support websockets to allow on-premise bots?

There has been some discussions and even an Hubot adapter: https://github.com/Microsoft/BotFramework-Hubot
        But this only support bots on the public cloud.

We are looking for guidance.

• Ryan Lancial commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We own Teams, and I’ve played around with pushing notifications via webhooks. Cool, but missing the websocket option and, by extension, ease of extensibility to support modern bot frameworks (thanks Brandon) has held me back in pushing more usage of the platform within the organization. There is so much that Teams does really well, this is the area I feel needs improvement.

• Josh King commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I could have sworn that I'd left a comment on this a *long* time ago, ah well better late than never.

This is the ONE thing stopping our IT dept (and by extension our entire org) from adopting Teams as opposed to Slack. I've stood up a ChatOps POC in Slack and my team (no pun intended) is really keen to jump in full force but I'm putting the breaks on as I really want the platform we end up settling on being Teams... I mean it's part of what we're paying for after all.

At the moment we're at a cross roads, but I can't keep pumping the breaks on this for long. Eventually I'm going to have to give in and make a move. My fear is that this will end up being a move to Slack and at that stage we'll become entrenched on that service and it'll be a hard sell to transition over to Teams when it finally "catches up."

Appreciate the updates, and understand the technical hurdles. As an end user on the outside it's just frustrating that Teams didn't launch with feature parity compared to your biggest and most direct (imho) competitor.

• Andrew Pla commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah, this is a pretty big deterrent for us fully moving to Teams. I'd like to be able to fully embrace Teams and bots really enables us to adopt the product.

• Warren F commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same as Rob - Teams is a no go until websocket support or something comparable is in place.

• Rob Steenwyk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Definitely interested in this at my org, one of the things preventing a couple of our teams from switching from Slack.

• WALEED ABU YAHIA commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I hope i can see this soon, honestly many industries and companies has a lot of regulations to host anything in cloud, like banking, nuclear, power. I think it is not a good idea from Microsoft to support only the cloud version, it looks like forcing people to use Azure. also If we take a look for other Bot framework they all support both. in my case i am stuck now and searching for other alternative rather than Microsoft Bot framework which I like a lot because of my company regulations which does not allow cloud computing. I hope if MS can specify a date when it will do it or if it will do it.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base